Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 04-15-19, 01:48 AM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaPau
Hi Jamis Renegade owners!

Could anyone confirm that the picture on the official Jamis site for the Expat model is a 54 frame (or even smaller).

It should be estimable when looking at the Head Tube length for someone who has one of this size.

[can't add the image here because I just subscribed here]

I'm asking this because I can't decide between the 56 and 58 frame size.

So I try to scale to fit and overlay the images in a graphic program to get a feeling about the frame in comparison with my actual bike.

(overlaying the semi-transparent images to see the difference in the geometry)

When I do this with the image from the jamis site it seems to small to fit me. (which is normal when it is a 54 frame).

I've tried to search for other undistorted side-view images and found one claiming to be a 58 frame size which than seems to big for me.

I don't have the real measurements of my actual bike, it's a very old road bike and I am a bit scared that I don't do it right when measuring it with a tape.

I'm 180cm (5'11') with an inseam of 84cm (33''). I guess both the 56 and the 58 should fit my size.

But thing is, ideally, my new bike should have just a little bit more reach than my actual bike has.(seems to be around 370mm - but again I am not totally sure where to measure exactly - the stem is shaped completely different etc.)

Thanks if anyone can recognize the frame size of the image on the jamis web page.

I'll give you the best fit rundown I can. The Expat on the Jamis site looks like a 54. My Expat is a 56. In the pics below I set it back up as close to stock as I can (90mm stem and 2cm of spacer below the stem) so you can get an idea of how it will fit on the sales floor. I'm 5'10" with a 89cm inseam, I generally run my saddle 77-78cm depending on riding conditions. Saddle height is 77cm from top of saddle to center of the bottom bracket in the pictures. I have 7.5cm of saddle setback. This setup has a saddle to bar measurement of 53cm and a saddle to bar drop of 4.5cm. This is as neutral of a position as I can give you, hope it helps. This is what I look like on the bike in "stock" mode.

The 56 will provide you with the most versatility in terms of fit. I test rode the 58 and the only reason I would ever ride it is if I needed to get my handlebar at or above saddle height. If the bike you have now really only has 370mm of reach then both sizes will feel longer, but the 58 will feel huge. A few things that would help with fit are your current saddle height, how much saddle to bar drop you want, how much saddle setback and the distance from the nose of your saddle to the middle of your bar. Are you looking for a more/less aggressive position than the one above? If you scroll through the thread you can see two setups I've used. The 650b is much more relaxed for trail/gravel and the current setup a few posts back is 2cm longer and 2.5cm lower than the one above. Below is a pic of the bike itself for your reference.
Likes For HLW:
Old 04-15-19, 05:06 AM
MichaPau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much HLW for your information and time to take the photos, that helps a lot.
[Can't quote your post because I am yet not allowed to do so as a new member]

It confirms my preference for the 56 frame.
The position looks good to me. Actually the distance between the saddle and the bar drop is a little lower on my bike but I have 4-5 cm shorter legs so that will smoothen that out little.
The reach seems perfect because I am good on my bike when commuting but my body starts wanting to move back an inch when riding on longer straight roads. So the 2-3cm more reach should give me that.

I just wait til tomorrow before ordering, because I found a dealer nearby selling the Breezer Inversion Pro which was my second choice but is more expensive.
I think the Rengade Expat is the best choice but I want, at least, take a look before the final decision.

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-19, 06:48 PM
Kajun1987

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just hopped on the Jamis Renegade train. Snagged a brand new 2018 Expert (white) off of eBay. Got it for quite a bit off retail price. Hope everything goes well, as I have never really used eBay all that much.
Old 04-18-19, 07:41 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We are a Renegade Dealer. From what you say, I would think the 56 is likely a better fit as well.
Old 04-20-19, 12:41 PM
MichaPau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
We are a Renegade Dealer. From what you say, I would think the 56 is likely a better fit as well.
Yes thanks, I went with the 56 frame.
I have to wait now that it is delivered...
Old 04-28-19, 12:31 PM
MichaPau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HLW
I'll give you the best fit rundown I can. The Expat on the Jamis site looks like a 54. My Expat is a 56. In the pics below I set it back up as close to stock as I can (90mm stem and 2cm of spacer below the stem) so you can get an idea of how it will fit on the sales floor. I'm 5'10" with a 89cm inseam, I generally run my saddle 77-78cm depending on riding conditions. Saddle height is 77cm from top of saddle to center of the bottom bracket in the pictures. I have 7.5cm of saddle setback. This setup has a saddle to bar measurement of 53cm and a saddle to bar drop of 4.5cm. This is as neutral of a position as I can give you, hope it helps. This is what I look like on the bike in "stock" mode.

The 56 will provide you with the most versatility in terms of fit. I test rode the 58 and the only reason I would ever ride it is if I needed to get my handlebar at or above saddle height. If the bike you have now really only has 370mm of reach then both sizes will feel longer, but the 58 will feel huge. A few things that would help with fit are your current saddle height, how much saddle to bar drop you want, how much saddle setback and the distance from the nose of your saddle to the middle of your bar. Are you looking for a more/less aggressive position than the one above? If you scroll through the thread you can see two setups I've used. The 650b is much more relaxed for trail/gravel and the current setup a few posts back is 2cm longer and 2.5cm lower than the one above. Below is a pic of the bike itself for your reference.
Thanks again for the information!

The bike arrived two days ago and I am very happy with the size and position and everything. I just rode like 15 km but the first impression is very nice.

It came with 4 spacers on the steam, I see yours has them as well, I put the two little ones above the steam, to lower the position a little bit.

Funny fact, it was assembled by 'Evans cycles' in the UK. All the English bikes have the rear brake lever on the left side. They are even forced to do so by law. I didn't know that! I guess I will switch them back
Old 04-30-19, 02:51 AM
Nobody12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No eyelets

I recently ordered a new 2017 Renegade Expat. It was a "photo bike." I chose it over a new Diverge, in large part because of the front (fork) eyelets. Despite including front eyelets in the description, and all examples I've seen online including front eyelets, the model I received does not have them. Fork paint looks the same. What gives?
Old 04-30-19, 03:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Well, if it doesn't have them, it doesn't have them.... Maybe ask Jamis if you can buy a fork, or return the bike and get one that suits you better. "Specification subject to change" is often mentioned. Good luck!
Old 05-12-19, 11:05 AM
Kajun1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat clamp issue

I just received my brand new jamis and tried to adjust the height of the seat before i gave it a test drive. While doing so the clamp that secures it fell into the down tube Of the bike. I can’t get it to shake out and can’t even see it with a flash light. Has anyone ever had this issue before ?

i have a 2018 expert if that helps?

thanks in advance !
Old 05-15-19, 10:50 PM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
What size fender did you use 45mm ?
Originally Posted by HLW
I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Old 05-19-19, 12:06 AM
HLW

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes handsome mud butler 45. max tire I could fit was a slick Compass Bon Jon which measured out to 37-38 on a 25 internal diameter rim, but on anything with tread I couldn't go past the 36mm clement/donelley mso's that came on the bike. since the fenders are metal I was able to shape them a little to gain some additional clearance. This is the only model fender I've tried, so results with a plastic fender of the same size my be different.
Old 06-17-19, 04:11 PM
ToppDogg

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2018 Trek FX2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
2019 Jamis Renegade Expat. Got it last night. This was my first ride after purchase, a short ride, 3.7 Miles but I'm happy with the Expat.
Added a Topeak Rack and TrunkBag.

Likes For ToppDogg:
Old 06-18-19, 03:20 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
The current state of my Exile for riding a mix of pavement and gravel with lots of headwinds. I recently added Challenge Strada Bianca 36's, some old Profile aero bars, and a Cobb Randee saddle.

Old 06-21-19, 12:30 PM
dfiler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve put over 1500 miles on a 2018 renegade Elite, most recently including 368 miles in 4 days while riding with camping gear along the GAP and C&O from Pittsburgh to DC. Here are my thoughts. Keep in mind this is for the carbon version of the renegade. Some comments aren’t applicable to the other models.
-
  • One of the bottle mount bosses was unusable from the factory. The screw must have been cross threaded at the factory and upon backing it out the first time it caught and caused the boss to break free inside the frame. The shop tried to fix it but it spins freely. We’re waiting to see what Jamis says. One of the reasons I bought the renegade was the ability to mount 5 bottles on the frame for the longer/more-remote rides. Fingers croosed
  • This thing is great for road and smooth dirt. It is incredibly light a responsive. I can absolutely mash through the rougher streets of Pittsburgh.
  • The 36mm tires are good for road and smooth dirt but are too small for more rugged gravel. I’ll be replacing them with something larger when they wear out.
  • The chainstays should have been designed with more clearance so that 40mm tires could be run and still have clearance for fenders.
  • The lower eyelet on the fork is in front of the axle. This made it impossible to mount PDW full metal fenders without ordering extra-long fender stays.
  • The ultegra groupset feels great but doesn’t provide a lower enough gearing for hill riding, and definitely not for loaded hill riding. 34F x 32R is simply not low enough. The GRX groupset would be far better for this bike.
  • The hidden seat clamp is a horrible design. It is impossible to tighten or loosen the bolt with a multi-tool.
  • The stock bar tape is too thin for my preferences so I’ll be replacing it with something thicker.
  • The frame feels great for unloaded rides but with moderately loaded rear panniers it is far too flexible. The back end sways side to side while holding the bars straight.
  • Even moderate weight in my ortlieb handlebar bag causes speed/death wobbles.
  • Two eyelets on each seatstay is great. Having a separate one for rack and fender is quite convenient.
  • I wish the fork had two lower mounting eyelets for both rack and fender.
  • Make sure your multi-tool has a 6mm allen because that is what is needed for the axles and saddle clamp on the seat post.
  • The outer sleeve of the tubeless stem snapped off while being pumped up. The pump had a flexible hose so there wasn’t undo force being placed on the stem.
  • Front fender stays must be spaced outward to prevent rattling against the brake caliper.
Overall this is an excellent bike so long as used for what it is appropriate for. I would classify it as not quite a gravel bike. It is more like a road/gravel bike. I plan on getting a more beefy gravel bike and relegating the renegade to road and smooth rail trail riding. It excels at that. I can put down some serious power on this thing and it feels great around town and on smooth trails.

Last edited by dfiler; 06-21-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 02:34 PM
ReverendWrong

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2017 Elite and have put about 6000 miles on it - combination of commuting, road , gravel and a little bikepacking.I agree with most of this assessment overall and have has some similar experiences.
  • One of the bosses for the rack broke loose inside the frame (I may have exceeded the stated 25 lb rack limit). Luckily the owner of my LBS is a whiz with carbon fiber repairs and was able to replace the boss. The boss at the seat stay bridge was also loose, so I switched to using a rack mount adapter from Salsa that fits around the seatpost. I'm also using Arkel Dri-Lite panniers which are small enough to make it difficult to overload the rear.
  • I haven't had any issues with sway on the rear with a loaded rack, but I doubt I've had much more than 15 lbs on the rear rack since the repair. Bikepacking, I use a Revelate Designs seat bag, 1/2 frame bag and handlebar roll and feel the bike handles really well on gravel and pavement. Never had any issues with wobble, but I try to keep the front light and put most of the heavy stuff in the frame bag.
  • The gearing is definitely not optimized for bikepacking. Glad Shimano is finally moving to some lower gearing - I plan to replace the cranks with GRX 48/31 as soon as they are released and probably an 11-24 cassette as well. Fingers crossed this will be compatible with the rest of the 6800 drive train
  • I didn't like the stock Clement tires, been through a few different tires: Schwalbe G-One are great for road and smooth hardpack, but too fragile for real gravel or single track. So far liking Panaracer Gravel King 35s as ride mostly pavement but like to get out in rough stuff when I can. Aside from the Schwalbes, most tires have setup tubeless pretty easy. No issues with valves, aside from replacing one core when it got a bit clogged with old sealant.
  • Hate the seatpost clamp as well. First time I tried to adjust it, I loosened the bolt too much and the wedge fell into the frame and was a total pain to fish out.
This is a super versatile bike that I feel does most everything pretty well. The geometry is stable enough for fast descents over rough forest service roads while quick enough that it's not boring on the road. The smooth ride of the carbon frame and wide tires is so comfortable that I almost chose the Renegade over my titanium road bike for road rides. I wish it could fit wider tires, but since I currently only have a single wheelset, and am riding 80% road, I'm not inclined to put anything over 40mm on it anyway.
Old 06-23-19, 11:03 AM
nwin23

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a used 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit. Planning on using it mostly for commuting with some gravel rides thrown in as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack/fenders?
Old 07-05-19, 03:47 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just ordered a Renegade Frameset and am also looking for a set of fenders that maximizes tires clearance. I see above that others have used Handsome Mud Butler and some from PDW. I'd like to find a set that I can run Panaracer Gravel Kings 700x38 if possible, if not 700x35. Will be mounted on 19mm internal width rims. What fenders are others using? Any other suggestions? I have my eye on a few sets from SKS (bluemels primus and AL 46)
Old 07-08-19, 04:39 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
It took a lot longer to start than I originally planned, but the real upgrades on my Exile have begun starting with the cheap bottom bracket. It only took a few minutes to swap the OE square taper BB and FSA Vero crank for a FSA BB386EVO BB and an FSA Powerbox power meter crankset I found on Amazon Warehouse for only $300. I did not even need to adjust the derailleur since I stayed with 50/34 rings. Lighter Easton EC90 SL wheels should be here Wednesday (hooray for 4th of July sales!) so I can swap back and forth between skinny and wide tires, probably going with something 28 mm after I wear out a set of Conti 32mm Sport Contact II's I have gathering dust. I ride a lot of pavement to get to the gravel instead of driving to it, usually a 50/50 mix; so a fast rolling tire is a requirement.
Old 07-08-19, 07:05 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Anyone with any insights into shops across the US know if it's possible to snag a 2018 Escapade in a 54cm?

I don't have a Jamis dealer within 250 miles that has one. Drop me a PM if ya'll have any leads. Not interested in the 2019.
Old 07-09-19, 01:30 AM
loheiman

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nwin23
I just got a used 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit. Planning on using it mostly for commuting with some gravel rides thrown in as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack/fenders?
Curious what the rack mounts can actually support safely. Was surprised to hear from Jamis support that they're only rated to 25lbs. Seems low for steel frame?
Old 07-09-19, 08:26 AM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by loheiman
Curious what the rack mounts can actually support safely. Was surprised to hear from Jamis support that they're only rated to 25lbs. Seems low for steel frame?
I have the tubus logo evo rack highly reccomend that rack . as for fenders i have some planet bike 45mm fenders that im not to high on that seem to lose adjustment the stays dont work so well. and i feel like im pushing the limits of the fender with a 36mm tire.
Old 07-20-19, 07:56 AM
valve_timing

Added a brooks b17 saddle in honey with their microfiber bar tape to match and replaced the stock tires with schwalbe g one allrounders.
Old 07-21-19, 08:38 PM
loheiman

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Just finished building this up from a Jamis Renegade Escapade frameset. My first build and I'm pretty pleased! More details:
Rival 1 hydro groupset with Force 1 cranks
Fulcrum 700c 19mm wheels and gravel king 35mm slicks
Salsa cowbell bars and stem
Fabric Elite saddle
eBay carbon seatpost
Bontrager gel bar tape
PDW sparrow bottle cages

Old 07-28-19, 06:40 PM
holdfast5183

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice! How do you like the Gravel Kings?
Old 07-28-19, 06:45 PM
holdfast5183

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaPau
Thank you very much HLW for your information and time to take the photos, that helps a lot.
[Can't quote your post because I am yet not allowed to do so as a new member]

It confirms my preference for the 56 frame.
The position looks good to me. Actually the distance between the saddle and the bar drop is a little lower on my bike but I have 4-5 cm shorter legs so that will smoothen that out little.
The reach seems perfect because I am good on my bike when commuting but my body starts wanting to move back an inch when riding on longer straight roads. So the 2-3cm more reach should give me that.

I just wait til tomorrow before ordering, because I found a dealer nearby selling the Breezer Inversion Pro which was my second choice but is more expensive.
I think the Rengade Expat is the best choice but I want, at least, take a look before the final decision.

Thanks again!
What size did you end up with? I have the 56cm Expat frame, and I feel like it runs just a bit to the small side. I'm looking at the Escapade frameset and considering going up a size and giving the 56 to my wife who is 5 foot 10.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.