Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2018 - Long Distance Cycling Goals

Old 01-03-18, 05:06 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Interestingly (?) I usually do the opposite -- I ride the fixed-gear during the winter (when I do), and then bring out the derailleur bikes for variety when spring rolls around.

Good luck with your goals!
What I meant was - I was off the bike almost entirely through the fall. I had broken some ribs the end of September and I might have commuted to work a time or two on the geared bike. Now that my ribs feel better, I want to ride, but commuting in single digit temps at 4am can be dangerous if I'd suffer a mechanical failure.

But my goals are to transition entirely FG for all my riding in 2018

(P.S. Don't break ribs. It hurts.)
Old 01-04-18, 04:02 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I mentioned a first SR series and ideally a first 1000k in the other thread, but the other half is to be back to the speed I was in 2014, when I was better about doing some structured training to speed up.

And along the way to the SR, knock off a few unfinished-business rides/past year DNFs. Starting with the Berkshire Brevet Early Spring 200k, which I brought the wrong coat/gloves to a few years back and DNFed at the halfway point due to hypothermia; I could have finished in the right clothes.
Old 01-05-18, 07:02 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Not sure I'm going to set any goals this year. I set a 10,000 mile goal in 2016 and ended up with 10,397 miles. Last year, my only goal was to see how many 1,000 mile months I could do and not worry about annual miles. I ended up with 11,456 miles for the year. With the crappy weather we've had here in Florida, this year has not started off on the right foot. Only one 14 virtual mile ride on the trainer.

I have a friend that is a RUSA member and she has me pretty much talked into joining and doing some of the rides with her. That should help with annual mileage but a 3 week vacation in August, may keep me below last years mileage. I guess we'll find out on December 31, 2018.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-06-18, 07:42 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 10/12 for the CaM challenge last year due to a shoulder injury, so, I'm determined to finish that. I've also got my eye on a double century in March that is part of the RAAM challenge series. Possibly riding in No Country For Old Men later this year.
I think I got about 4000 miles this last year, gonna shoot for 6000 this year.
Old 01-06-18, 10:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I figured out I have asthma, so I feel like things are going to be improving now that it is being treated. Me and Chris Froome. I really need to get a lot faster, so hopefully i can do that without overtraining again. I'm reluctant to make goals until I find out how this works out.
Old 01-07-18, 12:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I figured out I have asthma, so I feel like things are going to be improving now that it is being treated. Me and Chris Froome. I really need to get a lot faster, so hopefully i can do that without overtraining again. I'm reluctant to make goals until I find out how this works out.
Yep ... me too. Inhaler before any hilly or chilly ride.
Old 01-09-18, 02:30 PM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for making these threads, Machka. I have learned that I am meant to be an endurance rider and randonneur someday. I sincerely hope it is not in 2018 as I will have to suffer the loss of my dog before I can start traveling on the bike.

I do plan on doing 1000 miles per month as I am doing now in my indoor century training in Zwift and I even hope to get in a or some centuries by planning a stop back at home to let the dog out. I have hopes of possibly doing the century a month if the weather cooperates, but going back out after stopping will be tough.

Cary
Old 01-25-18, 08:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I'll decide when the schedule comes out whether or not to attempt the opening day 200k fixed...
The opening day 200k is the same as last year so I'm bringing a geared bike. I also convinced a guy from work to go with me so that's another reason not to go fixed. I don't think it would be cool for me to show up on a fixed-gear to ride with him on his first brevet. I am however going to set a new goal to introduce someone new to randonneuring, which should be a slam dunk since he has already registered for the opening day 200k at the end of April.
Old 01-25-18, 08:49 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I don't think it would be cool for me to show up on a fixed-gear to ride with him on his first brevet.
Good thought.
Mixing a FG into a paceline, even a two rider effort, introduces stresses that I don't want for more than a short distance. My LD/FG riding partner was a track rider with >40 years on a FG and from the same team "back when". Sharing pace for hours I have implicit trust in his metronome like cadence, rock solid bike handling and good road sense. Riding FG w/anyone else, particularly with them on a FW bike? No thanks.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-25-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 10:40 AM
serhiypopoff
randonneur from Ukraine

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goal 1000+ miles for only 5 days and 23 hours done. A Cycling Unlimited Ukraine project is about an experience how to ride a bike 365 days/12 months/7 days week/24 hours. A first Stage was a randonne Uzhhorod-Kyiv-Uzhhorod for 1772 km. You can rich a complete report directly at Peloton-Club ? ???? serhiypopoff-?. "Ride a lot" - Eddy Merckx
Stage-2 shall be in October. Hope to ride 2000+km while average air temperatures +100°C come back )))) ♥
Old 04-17-18, 08:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My only LD goal anymore is to ride RAMROD each year, with the odd century thrown in here and there for training. I'll do most of my on-road training this year on the tandem, just because it's about 20% harder per mile traveled which makes group rides more challenging. Training is noticeably harder this year. I hope it's for a reason other than the graph just getting steeper.
Old 07-01-18, 08:10 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, now that it is the end of the day, July 1st, maybe time to make some goals:
  • 7000 RUSA kms the last half of the year. (Should be do-able as I got in 1225-kms the last 15 days of June.)
  • I was thinking to sneak in an SR by doing the Raleigh Region RUSA Birthday 200 and picnic along with a 4 and a 6 on Highpoint Region Brevets, but a careful look at the calendar, and projection of my every-other-weekend off schedule, Tony's brevets are on the wrong weekends. (I suppose I could pre-ride the 4 and 6, but I dunno ...)
That's enough.
Old 09-25-18, 04:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Would you folks believe that I haven't even done a century, to say nothing of anything longer, since PBP 2015? So my goal for 2018 is to do at least one, and I've got the Iowa Randonneurs brevets in my phone calendar so that I won't forget about them this spring. I miss the longer rides.
Well, I finally accomplished the above. Did the Headwaters 100 with a buddy of mine, and apart from a middle section where a combination of under-eating and incessant headwinds nearly did me in, it was a great time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-25-18, 04:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have a 200k permanent that we failed to finish on two occasions. Finished it last week, even though I started to have cramping problems at the 2/3 mark. Fortunately that was after all the major climbing, but there still was a lot of climbing.

That 200k was really an unstated goal, sort of a nagging failure. I also wanted to finish a 1200k this year, which I did, hopefully the results will be homologated soon. I need to start studying French again

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-25-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 09:08 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I DNF'd one 1200 this year and didn't bother to try the other I paid for... gotta watch the bike setup when travelling, seems like such a rookie mistake. But it might have just been the volume of riding too... next time I won't try a devil's week and a 1200 in the same month. I did do the entire Devil's week and did get a personal best for a 600K too, which felt good. It was a pretty hilly one by Ontario standards too.... ~4500m of climbing. I did want to ride 10,000km this year as well and I think I'm on track to finish that goal. I guess it'll be time to start thinking about next year's plan... just saw the PacTour in Tucson has a devil's week... it might be a good idea for me to get all qualified for PBP early in the year.

Last edited by clasher; 09-26-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 09:52 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Main goals: 200km, 300km

"If schedule, family and route permits" goals: 400km, 600km

"Mostly wishful thinking" goal: 1000km

These are all specific rides on the Audax Malaysia 2018 event calendar.
Looking back at my goals early this year, I'm still amazed I made it this far. At first I thought I wouldn't get the time and permission to go on all these multi-day rides so 300km was the practical limit... until I drafted out the entire calendar and explained to my wife the stakes ("next year is PBP2019, I wanna give it a try and see how far I can go"). And besides, after "conquering" 300km I was already itching to try the longer rides. That 1000km though... it was more a leap of faith than anything else. I just told myself, "Better to try and fail, than to not try and never know if I could do it or not". I even told some of my friends I was prepared to DNF on the third day... except to my surprise not many people hired support vehicles for the ride so I wasn't able to piggyback on it, so it was a finish-or-get-stuck-far-away-from-home challenge. I still think I was nuts to attempt it, lol.
Old 10-02-18, 09:59 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
Hmmm, I thought I had posted some goals here but apparently I didn't. The year isn't over yet but I have made my P-12 goal. I still have my R-12 streak going with 8 consecutive months. I realize that the last 2 months (December and January) could be a challenge thanks to weather but I'm willing to travel south if necessary.

I have also ridden in 12 states thus far so can apply for the Explorer award. And I also hope to get a RUSA 5K award although my DNF of my 200K on Saturday has set me back. IF the weather cooperates the rest of the weekend in 2018, then I still have a decent chance at it. But that is a big IF.

I also did my first brevet that involved a significant amount of night riding as it started at 2pm and I finished after 2am. I don't like riding in the dark but proved to myself that I could and that I do have the appropriate headlights to be able to see road hazards. This was useful during my DNF this past weekend as I had to ride about 90 minutes well after the sun set in the the dark.