Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

No pad bike shorts for rando

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 11:55 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No pad bike shorts for rando

This may have been covered but I'd like your input - -.

I ride rando events and have toured using bike shorts that only have chamois - no extra padding. My go to choice have been pearl Izuma (tri?) shorts. Lately I've been feeling pinched in the soft tissue where leg meets pelvis. Looking at the shorts, I see a thickish seam, and see the chamois material bunching up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a quality, chamois only, no pad replacement for rando? Looking at some days of 24hrs+ in the saddle.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 83cannondale; 05-28-18 at 11:57 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-28-18, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Some ideas in this C&V thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...my-shorts.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-30-18, 07:21 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm going to order a pair of the Boure pro bibs mentioned in the other thread. While I don't necessarily have anything against padding, I don't really think it's necessary either.
Old 05-31-18, 09:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
While I don't necessarily have anything against padding, I don't really think it's necessary either.
Yeah. Most of my riding is with a pair of merino blend boxer-briefs and lightweight poly athletic shorts. I really resent all the padding when I do put on "cycling shorts."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-31-18, 09:30 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I feel like if I'm riding a Brooks saddle, any padding in shorts is optional. I still want my (under)wear to be sweat-wicking and flat stitched, but that's about it.
Old 05-31-18, 11:03 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I emailed boure asking which shorts they recommend for longer brevets. Here's the response:
Though we have customers doing longer brevets in both our PRO and ELITE bib shorts, I’d say that most of them gravitate to the ELITE style due to it’s more compressive and supportive fabric.
Old 05-31-18, 03:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I just ordered a pair of the Boure Elite bib shorts. I'll report back after I have had a chance to try them out on a few long rides.
Old 06-08-18, 06:54 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the Elite bibs - They looked pretty good. I prefer the regular shorts so far. My experience with bibs is that they are time consuming to get in and out of. In colder weather have to take off gloves, then all layers of upper body clothes to go to the toilet. Then have to put it all back on...!

Anyone else prefer shorts over bibs?
Old 06-08-18, 10:48 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I received the boure elite bibs but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. The pad is quite thin and uniform thickness, so it may be along the lines of what you are looking for. The pro pad is a little thinner and probably even closer to what you're looking for. I read somewhere that you can special order the elite shorts with the pro pad which may be worth looking into. Drew is pretty responsive if you send him an email. I'm riding a 400k tomorrow but for obvious reasons planning to use shorts I already know I like. Regarding bibs vs. shorts, I find bibs to be much more comfortable on the bike and shorts are easier in the bathroom. Since I spend a lot more time on the bike than the bathroom I normally use bibs.
Old 06-08-18, 11:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
when shorts was the only style available, I wore them with suspenders. Suspenders have their own issues though, coming loose being the main one. I think now that I have a belly, shorts are out of the question. The difficulty of lowering bibs can be an issue in cold weather, no doubt. There is a style of women's bibs with a loop that goes over your neck and can be removed without removing any other clothing. I wish those were available in men's styles. I would at least try a pair.
Old 06-08-18, 11:27 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens...on-shorts.html

I have 2 pair of these for touring / commuting.
Problem I have with the boxer-style briefs is they ride up & chaff like...... bad.
These are "recumbent" shorts, so no bad. Leg grippers, so no riding up.
Thick material. Well made. I like their other stuff too - urban pedal pusher knickers, unpadded baggy shorts. Casual dress shirt. So far so good.
Old 06-09-18, 12:13 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
mrv: those undershorts look like they have a seam up the crotch and adjacent thigh, so I presume that is why you describe them as recumbent
shorts, not compatible with DF saddle. Aerotech has some good stuff.
Old 06-10-18, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have always chosen bike shorts with a liner , but it was never backed by padding.
Old 06-12-18, 06:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
After many years of riding almost exclusively in regular street clothes I recently decided to try triathlon shorts. The liner or chamois or whatever it is, is very thin; really not padding at all. The pad does not bother me.
Old 06-14-18, 03:08 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I used the boure elite bibs on a 25 mile ride this week. The padding is fine but the shorts have a seam that runs up the front of the leg that might not work for me. I had a pair of PI elite shorts with the same thing that I had to stop using on longer rides because the seam would rub my skin raw at that crease where the thigh connects to the torso. We'll see how they do on a longer ride.
Old 07-30-18, 08:28 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I've had the boure elite bib shorts for 6 weeks or so and have had a chance to use them on some long rides. I really wanted to like these shorts, but have to report that they are my least favorite of the shorts I have in this price range (PI Pro, Voler, DeMarchi) The gripper is old school rubber that grips really well, but is uncomfortable relative to silicone grippers on my other shorts. The seam goes right up the middle of the leg and chafes on long rides. The pad in nice and thin, but thicker pads don't really bother me. I'll still use these shorts until they wear out, but this will be my last pair.
Old 08-02-18, 04:52 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
@sch - i should check in more often - just noticed your reply. YES - the recumbent shorts have a seam up the middle (down the middle? in the middle?).
What's a "DF" saddle? Anyway, I mostly ride a Brooks. The other bikes have SERFAS Tegu. The seam has not presented a problem. The main contact points are on my sit bones ( ischial tuberosity ).
So to date, that seam has not been a problem for me (to date being about 18 months of frequent use & some long tour days).
I mix in regular bike shorts and box-briefs - just depends.

so what is the final verdict from the OP? @83cannondale
Old 08-03-18, 07:10 AM
83cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Final verdict

I tried some aero tek tri shorts which don't seem too bad on short ( 30 mile ish ) rides. Unfortunately they don't have the silicone leg gripper so ride up, constantly adjusting.

I guess the question is not fully resolved in my mind. I'll probably revisit bibs, and maybe a quality padded short. Guys have shared some brand names I'll look at.

thanks
t

QUOTE=mrv;20483621]@sch - i should check in more often - just noticed your reply. YES - the recumbent shorts have a seam up the middle (down the middle? in the middle?).
What's a "DF" saddle? Anyway, I mostly ride a Brooks. The other bikes have SERFAS Tegu. The seam has not presented a problem. The main contact points are on my sit bones ( ischial tuberosity ).
So to date, that seam has not been a problem for me (to date being about 18 months of frequent use & some long tour days).
I mix in regular bike shorts and box-briefs - just depends.

so what is the final verdict from the OP? @83cannondale[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-18, 07:25 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 83cannondale
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the Elite bibs - They looked pretty good. I prefer the regular shorts so far. My experience with bibs is that they are time consuming to get in and out of. In colder weather have to take off gloves, then all layers of upper body clothes to go to the toilet. Then have to put it all back on...!

Anyone else prefer shorts over bibs?

Here is one vote for shorts over bibs. If it is cold and I have a few layers on, bibs are a hassle at a restroom break. A bigger hassle if that restroom break is outside. During hot weather, bibs, or at least the pair that I have, make my torso warmer. Otherwise, I like how the bibs wear and use them in moderate weather and short group rides.
Old 08-04-18, 08:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I wish they made single loop bibs for men. Apparently, women are the only people that need to pull down their bibs in the middle of a ride. I suppose one could have some shorts modified. I don't like shorts because I suffer from butt-gut inversion syndrome. Suspenders just never really worked that well for me. Plus putting it all back together after a bathroom stop is a pain.
Old 08-04-18, 11:33 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
What's a "DF" saddle?
It stands for diamond frame. IOW, a saddle found on an upright bike (as opposed to the seat on a recumbent).