Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Any custom makers that will take bitcoin payment?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 04:26 AM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Looking for a custom maker who will take a bitcoin payment. Happy to pay all up front. If you are not familiar with bitcoin it is not overly difficult to convert into USD or whatever currency you operate in. And if you do it at the time of purchase it doesn't matter about its changing price, we can agree on something that evens out to your frame price plus some handling fee perhaps. Looking to possibly get a custom frame without wifey knowing the total cost

If this is the wrong area to ask, I apologize.

Thanks
Ray
Old 08-15-18, 05:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I have never heard of anyone taking it, and I'm not sure any builders would want to take payment up front. Best to convert to $ yourself and buy what you want, I think
Old 08-15-18, 03:48 PM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I'm willing to pay all up front....do you take Bitcoin?"
i think that would sound a little phishy to most folks. Best to do the conversion yourself. And, be honest with your wife, you never know when it might come back to bite you....it, uh, happened to a guy I know.
Old 08-16-18, 08:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I have yet to hear of a bank, government, supplier, landlord, utility company… who accept Bit Coins for payment. Why should a builder do so?

Interesting thought of the use of Bit Coins as a method to hide payments. Reminds me of when I had my shop and a guy came in representing a barter "community". My accountant suggested I stay away from a "cashless" transaction for a number of reasons. Andy
Old 08-16-18, 08:57 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
In my opinion, the only custom frame you should buy secretly is one that's a present for her. Perhaps a tandem would be a wise use of the BTC.
Old 08-16-18, 09:17 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
There's a lot going on here.

Subscribed.
Old 08-17-18, 09:07 AM
Daveyk15

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Wow the least dodgy use of BITCOIN ever hopefully the recent fall on the price wont impact what you want.
Old 08-17-18, 07:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I assume the direct trading of bitcoin is to avoid taxes. Now that BTC is publicly traded, that seems questionable on both ends of the transaction
Old 08-18-18, 08:48 PM
RayB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Live Wire
"I'm willing to pay all up front....do you take Bitcoin?"
i think that would sound a little phishy to most folks. Best to do the conversion yourself. And, be honest with your wife, you never know when it might come back to bite you....it, uh, happened to a guy I know.
The thought of offering to pay all up front was to simply hedge against the frequently changing price so you convert it all at the same time and neither of us end up loosing out. But ya, I can understand why it might sound phishy.
Old 08-18-18, 08:55 PM
RayB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have yet to hear of a bank, government, supplier, landlord, utility company… who accept Bit Coins for payment. Why should a builder do so?

Interesting thought of the use of Bit Coins as a method to hide payments. Reminds me of when I had my shop and a guy came in representing a barter "community". My accountant suggested I stay away from a "cashless" transaction for a number of reasons. Andy
There are plenty of legit businesses accepting it. Largest electronics chain here in Japan to name one. Does cashless include credit cards? I'm not suggesting anywhere that people don't pay their taxes on purchases. Why should a builder accept? Open up new revenue channels to new groups of customers? If you are an established builder with years of orders in the pipeline maybe you wouldn't care so much about such things. But if you are new, or struggling to make new business it could be something to consider. There are plenty of businesses now that enable POS capabilities for small business to accept and convert to local fiat. But really, was just looking to see if there was anyone already accepting it. Not looking to convert or convince anyone to start using it.
Old 08-18-18, 08:57 PM
RayB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
In my opinion, the only custom frame you should buy secretly is one that's a present for her. Perhaps a tandem would be a wise use of the BTC.
Of course and I would. If she gave a toss about cycling . Plus tandems are illegal here which is a shame. I'd love one of the bike friday ones.
Old 08-18-18, 09:07 PM
RayB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I assume the direct trading of bitcoin is to avoid taxes. Now that BTC is publicly traded, that seems questionable on both ends of the transaction
Not at all. In fact, if that was my main driver I could easily purchase from several other countries that don't charge taxes on good purchased and shipped out of country. UK comes to mind. But again, wasn't really looking to kick off any debates in this sub. Was just checking if anyone was already accepting it.
Old 08-18-18, 09:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Ray- I suspect many of the established builders don't involve themselves with this forum. You might try https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/ as it seems that more pros read and post over there.

I agree that the world is changing and part of that is the economics and the trade methods. Perhaps in a bunch more decades BitCoin (or it's successor) will become the world standard... (Given the current international trade challenges that a certain president is creating I wouldn't be surprised at a movement away from the US dollar as the common reference

Until I can go down to my local grocer or town hall and pay my bills with them and there's some incentive to not use US dollars (I live in the USA) I will be warry of any unbacked currency. Andy
Old 08-18-18, 09:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
A highly volatile commodity of otherwise dubious value...that has rampant untraceable easy theft going on....I don't see why a framebuilder wouldn't use it.
Old 08-19-18, 12:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The USA doesn't do direct bank transfers/deposits as readily as other countries, and credit card and PayPal fees can be high. So, there would be benefits of looking at other alternatives for international exchanges.

There are, however, prepaid credit cards that could be kept relatively anonymously if that is the only issue.
Old 08-19-18, 02:10 AM
RayB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A highly volatile commodity of otherwise dubious value...that has rampant untraceable easy theft going on....I don't see why a framebuilder wouldn't use it.
Never said people should invest in it. Simply to transfer value without middlemen scraping their 4 to 8 percent in the process. There is no theft/crime ever associated with USD cash? wow, interesting. Any way this was simply meant to find out who, if any, may be accepting it. Not to debate everything, there are other platforms for that.
Old 08-21-18, 02:07 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Why don't you just convert your Bitcoin to US dollars and then pay for the frame or bike?
Old 08-21-18, 03:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by BigPoser
Why don't you just convert your Bitcoin to US dollars and then pay for the frame or bike?
As the OP posts his location as Japan and he hasn't decided from where/who he will contract with for this custom frame using US$ might not be the best for him. But there are other ways to provide payment on the international market that don't involve BitCoin.

I've avoided mentioning the secret purchase aspect (keeping it from the wife) till now. A large number of marriage failures involve the finances of a couple. Both my marriages had this as a discussed aspect of merging our lives. To do otherwise is unwise and sets up the future issues the couple will end up having to deal with in the end. Within a partnership many will view lack of forthcoming/honesty as the same as lies and cheating (but not with another person). Too many dig their own futures with shortsighted present choices. Andy
Old 08-22-18, 11:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
This topic has reached its inevitable conclusion.

Thread closed.