Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Many of You People Are Baby-Boomers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 11:26 PM
dooner90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's like every guy I see out on my local route is like 5o+ with a USPS shirt on. What Gives? Why are you all so old?

Also, when did you people start cycling? Will my friends ever start, or will they always think this sport is ridiculous?
Old 03-29-19, 11:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
GenX. I started cycling in 1973. I don’t know about your friends, but thankfully at my age, I don’t care.
Old 03-29-19, 11:58 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Proud Boomer

At 64, (can't remember when I started on 2 wheels). The question should be: how many non-boomers are out there cycling? My son, at 24 has no desire to get on a bike, too much work, too slow. None of his same aged friends bike either..

Last edited by Ptcycles; 03-30-19 at 12:44 AM. Reason: doesn't make sense
Old 03-30-19, 12:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Ahhh... we all get older.

I just missed the Baby Boomers (1946 and 1964)

My parents were born slightly on the early end, pre WWII.

My brother would have been born just at the tail end of the Baby Boomer gen, although I don't think that could be attributed to WWII, more likely attributable to Vietnam. And, I came just after the end.

Still... as mentioned, life happens and one gets older.

Been riding off and on since a kid. First road bike would have been about age 9 or 10.
Old 03-30-19, 12:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
It's like every guy I see out on my local route is like 5o+ with a USPS shirt on. What Gives? Why are you all so old?

Also, when did you people start cycling? Will my friends ever start, or will they always think this sport is ridiculous?
Why are we all so old?? Because we've managed to live through one year after another after another after another ...

What are the age groups for the "generations"?
Old 03-30-19, 01:20 AM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I'm a member of the Silent Generation. (Pre-Boomer) Started cycling in the early '50s.
Old 03-30-19, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Likely because we were in our vigorous 20’s in the 1970’s, and thankfully kept up this beneficial lifestyle. See this thread, "
Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.

We toured in Michigan and Ontario. In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.

After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only, but in the past few years I have done a century or two a year...
...I can vividly remember that beautiful day of my epiphany in May of 1970, when I borrowed my roommate's Schwinn Varsity to go do a few scattered errands around town.
Actually though, as noted above that while I may have had a predilection to get involved in cycling, the boom was already in progress, and did not necessarily entice me to become one of the small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time to become a life-long cycling devotee.

Actually perhaps a stronger prompt might have been the Aerobics phenomenon (by Dr. Ken Cooper) which I recall preceded the cycling boom in 1968.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-30-19 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 04:55 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Wait, baby boomers are old? I was born smack in the middle (1953) and I don't remember stepping over the threshold into old people territory.
Of course, there is lots of things I don't remember any more, so maybe.
Old 03-30-19, 05:09 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Speaking of old, it dawned on me yesterday while out for a ride that my wife and I are empty nesters. Both of our children are avid cyclists, one races and serves as a lead-out man for his team, and the other likes the freedom that riding brings. Neither one of them is into video games, although my boy is a computer engineer. They are both avid readers, my girl loves novels, especially the classics, and the other more technical and brainiac thought-filled books.

They were raised with very limited exposure to TV, were outside with us all of the time, and we always had projects to do with them. Projects that accomplished goals, not just time fillers, but still had fun doing them because they were right there along side mom and dad.

Not surprised they are both eager cyclists.
Old 03-30-19, 05:36 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I'm a Boomer!And I work part-time in a bike shop. My observation is very few Young people coming in to buy bikes. Not a good outlook for the industry.
Old 03-30-19, 05:44 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I'm a boomer! 'been riding for ages... I'm enjoying it more than ever over the last few years. Thankfully I've been blessed to remain bicycle-capable as the years pile on!
Old 03-30-19, 06:27 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Boomer born in 1947 and riding since 1954. It would be nice to see more young people riding.
Old 03-30-19, 06:43 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
1950 born here. I see teenagers out on their Canadian Tire mountain bikes going to school. Drop bar gravel bikes and spandex crowd are mostly young men, and my fellow seniors seem to be mostly on various hybrids with a smaller percentage on drop bar bikes I put my 1969 Raliegh away in 1972 after switching to motorcycles for commuting and dirt bikes for fun. Did not get back on a bicycle until last year. Reminds me of riding the motorcycles, great fun.
Old 03-30-19, 07:01 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Boomer. The pre-"like" generation.
Old 03-30-19, 07:08 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I'm a Boomer!And I work part-time in a bike shop. My observation is very few Young people coming in to buy bikes. Not a good outlook for the industry.
I wonder if young people as a whole are just not as active as younger people in the past.
Old 03-30-19, 07:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Boomer here, born in 62. I started when I was 6 and have been on bikes ever since. Bicycling isn't a sport unless you are racing. Otherwise it's just an activity. Please tell me you don't think golf is a sport!
Old 03-30-19, 07:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I'm 58, born in 1961. Not including the miles upon miles of bike riding I did in my youth...I became "a cyclist" (Oops sorry..."a person that rides a bike") in my early 20s and have been ever since.

Dan
Old 03-30-19, 07:42 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Boomer - 1958.

Cycled a lot 1970-74. A little til 81 or so. Then not at all till 2013, started again. Back at it a lot now, ~ 6800 miles/year. Lots more time available when we became empty-nesters. Wish I had kept at it more all those years.
Old 03-30-19, 07:44 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I agree. Not enough young people cycling. Also not enough women.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-30-19, 08:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

@dooner90 you may be interested in jumping over to the 50+ forum and having a look.

I'm 57, born in 1962, been riding since I was 4 or 5. Been bike commuting to work since 1992.

I think there is less "need" for kids to ride bikes in the internet/social media age. "Back in my day", the late 1960s and early 1970s, outside of school, if we wanted to interact with other kids we had to both occupy the same physical space. Sure, we had telephones, but only a few privileged kids had their own line, and there was no "group calling" so to communicate as a group, we all had to bee together. Also, if we wanted to read comics, magazines, read books or see movies, we had to travel which meant walking or biking, unless your folks drove you, but then they'd know where you were going and with whom.

I suppose those who grew up in big cities had buses and trains, but in the suburbs and more rural areas, bikes were essential.

Bicycles provided a tremendous amount of freedom and were a big part of many kids lives before the internet.
Old 03-30-19, 08:15 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I approach this tangent with some degree of trepidation. I live in an area where whites are a minority, yet we represent the overwhelming majority of cyclists. I got passed by a group of black riders the other day and it made me smile. Blacks often dominate the sports they participate in. I'd love to see more in competitive cycling.
Old 03-30-19, 08:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rayooo
I'm a boomer! 'been riding for ages... I'm enjoying it more than ever over the last few years. Thankfully I've been blessed to remain bicycle-capable as the years pile on!
Nicely said

Likely because we were in our vigorous 20’s in the 1970’s, and thankfully kept up this beneficial lifestyle. See this thread, "Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!"
Originally Posted by zarbog
1950 born here. I see teenagers out on their Canadian Tire mountain bikes going to school.

Drop bar gravel bikes and spandex crowd are mostly young men, and my fellow seniors seem to be mostly on various hybrids with a smaller percentage on drop bar bikes

I put my 1969 Raliegh away in 1972 after switching to motorcycles for commuting and dirt bikes for fun. Did not get back on a bicycle until last year. Reminds me of riding the motorcycles, great fun.
Interesting observation. Especially personally
Help with choosing a bike.

…Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike.....

I also have a aluminum beater road bike ... and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars...
Originally Posted by Nachoman
... on my daily commute, it seems that female joggers outnumber males by a large margin, at least 5 to 1, if not as high as 10 to 1.Among the cycling commuters that I see I would say the men outnumber the women by a greater ratio, [at least 5 to 1, if not as high as 10 to 1] though in much fewer numbers, maybe about one cyclist for every 40-50 runners.

My estimates of joggers and cyclists are a general observation made over the seasons, though I do "guesstimate" the gender during the cold weather.[
Originally Posted by jonc.
There are a large number of female recreational roadies around here. I was dropped by a female pace line once.

Urban commuting does seem to be predominantly male, but the numbers are small in any case[
... Another change [on the Fifty-Plus Forum] IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days.

Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-30-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 08:40 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Just at the edge boomer, 1964. Have always ridden since I was a young kid. I love outdoor sports and being outside so maybe that's why I've always loved riding. Amongst 4 of us siblings, I'm the only one that has ridden this long into life.
My daughter is 21 and not into cycling and neither are her friends. She rides at school but not often. Must be that Millenial thing. lol
Old 03-30-19, 09:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. after the singularity called the 'big bang', ...

Time was made to keep Everything from Happening at Once.
Old 03-30-19, 09:26 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Those people are called letter carriers, from back when mail came to a box attached to your house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.