Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Totally Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 06:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Totally Titanium

Almost I should say. I do have a steel tandem. Yesterday I completed my Lynskey MT29 build. In the past year I also built a Lynskey Backroad touring bike and bought a Litespeed T6 road bike. The Backroad is going to be my favorite. There is just something about the feel of Titanium that gets it done for me. I realize we are all different and have different preferences. I am not trying to convert anyone, and I am not asserting that titanium is superior. I love the balance it strikes between handling, responsiveness and forgiveness. As a bonus, it's nice to support US manufacturing.

I bought the MT 29 frame as a refurbished trade-in model directly from Lynskey. It must be an older frame. It has rack mounts which I may end up using. I built it without any Shimano or Sram labeled components other than the chain. It has a Race Face Atlas crank, Race Face BB and Race Face Narrow Wide chain ring. Out back I have a Microshift 11 speed 11-42 cassette and Microshift XCD RD. My shifter is a Microshift XCD. I went with TRP Spyke mechanical discs and TRP levers. The Fork is a fairly simple Manitou Markhor. The wheels are Sun Ringle wearing Clement XC LXV tires. Th build is rounded out with VP platform pedals, Pro Max seatpost and stem, Answer carbon bars with Oury grips and the seat is a Selle SMP TRK.

In running it around the block, it feels great. This is the second build I have done with Microshift. It works really well. It's not a light bike. It tips the scales at 27 pounds. I have no idea what kind of weight 29ers normally come in at, but that seems a bit high. I guess with the spec level I built it at, it's probably about right. I am a casual trail rider, not a racer.

I do have a bit of a chainline issue. When I am on the 42, the chain angle is too drastic. When I am on the 11 it's fine. I am using one BB spacer on the drive side and none on the non-drive side as is the norm for 73MM BB shells. I tried removing the drive side spacer, but as I start tightening it down, it binds up. I suppose that is a function of the tube connecting the two bearings. I need to get that figured out before I head for the mountains.

Old 03-30-19, 07:12 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Awesome color combo! Fwiw my chain line is also extreme for the last position. I think that's just the nature of the beast on 1x.
Old 03-30-19, 07:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Nice Job! I doubt you will see any replicas and it is going to get checked out by lots of people.
Old 03-30-19, 07:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Awesome color combo! Fwiw my chain line is also extreme for the last position. I think that's just the nature of the beast on 1x.
Thanks, I did a similar color combo on my Backroad. The chainline issue has me confounded. On a 1X there will obviously be a greater chain angle than with a 2 or 3X, but I would expect the angle to be the same at both of the extremes. On the 11 cog it's not bad at all. On the 42 it's bad. Let's see if this pic does it justice.

Old 03-30-19, 07:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I did a quick spin on a Merlin MTB ~1990. (Founder Gwendalf Jone's personal bike at a family re-uninion, He's a distant cousin.) Knew right away "this is it!" Took almost 20 years and a major step up in jobs before I could afford a custom ti bike and when that happened I was living in Portland and TiCycles had made me a couple of custom stems. TiCycles has now made me two, And one of my sweetest and fastest 20 miles was behind TiCycles founder and his girlfriend on their ti tandem.

Ben
Old 03-30-19, 07:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Nice Job! I doubt you will see any replicas and it is going to get checked out by lots of people.
Thanks. Titanium frames are kinda blah to look at, so I thought I'd spruce it up a bit with some color in the parts.
Old 03-30-19, 07:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I did a quick spin on a Merlin MTB ~1990. (Founder Gwendalf Jone's personal bike at a family re-uninion, He's a distant cousin.) Knew right away "this is it!" Took almost 20 years and a major step up in jobs before I could afford a custom ti bike and when that happened I was living in Portland and TiCycles had made me a couple of custom stems. TiCycles has now made me two, And one of my sweetest and fastest 20 miles was behind TiCycles founder and his girlfriend on their ti tandem.

Ben
I have tried to describe the Ti ride, but always fall short in capturing the essence. Each of my frames rides a bit differently as you would expect since they are all built for different purposes, but each one has the balanced feel that I like.
Old 03-30-19, 07:41 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to ride or own a titanium frame. I need to do something about that.
Old 03-30-19, 07:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I've never had the opportunity to ride or own a titanium frame. I need to do something about that.
You really do. If your user name is indicative of your age, your body will likely appreciate it. I'd highly recommend finding one to demo.
Old 03-30-19, 07:49 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Nice rig

The ProMax post, stem, and spacers (?) really do pop. BTW, if you want some more blingy--Hope makes ano seat clamp collars in a variets of colors...finding them on this side of the Atlantic is hard, but I can link you an LBS on EBay that can hook you up....course that ProMax blue is a wicked hard color to match ano (I found a cheapo alloy bottle cage on Amazon that does)

My stable is Ti...don't want to change it one bit. Stuff is durable, and understated, and just puts a grin on the face.
Old 03-30-19, 07:51 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
Yes. Now my first task is to convince the Secretary of War that this would be a good thing for our marriage. She rides also so I at least have that going for me.
Old 03-30-19, 07:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Titanium frames are kinda blah to look at, so I thought I'd spruce it up a bit with some color in the parts.
Feel the same about the look of ti, so I spruced up my frame with color.

Old 03-30-19, 07:57 AM
GrainBrain

I took a couple pics of my chain line on the biggest rear cog (I have a 34x40). Apologies for the dirty chain this is my winter-ride-it-hard-put-away-wet machine

I have over a thousand miles on this chain and configuration. It's a little noiser in this combo but nothing awful, and I've panick shifted into the 40t often.

Old 03-30-19, 08:00 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Once you’ve ridden ti, carbon fiber you will not buy.
Old 03-30-19, 08:02 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by indyfabz

You would post a picture of that sweet machine just before I show off my duuurty undercarriage
Old 03-30-19, 08:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Nice rig

The ProMax post, stem, and spacers (?) really do pop. BTW, if you want some more blingy--Hope makes ano seat clamp collars in a variets of colors...finding them on this side of the Atlantic is hard, but I can link you an LBS on EBay that can hook you up....course that ProMax blue is a wicked hard color to match ano (I found a cheapo alloy bottle cage on Amazon that does)

My stable is Ti...don't want to change it one bit. Stuff is durable, and understated, and just puts a grin on the face.
The Pro Max stem doesn't match the other blue ano on the bike. I'm not to worried about it though. I have seen and drooled over those Hope collars. Box makes one (I put one on my Litespeed) that matches the rest of the blue ano. Red ano is much easier to match than blue.

When asked about general characteristics of frame materials, this is the way I described Ti. A steel bike might be plush and comfortable like my step daughter's 2006 Avalon, but a bit floaty. An aluminum bike might be like a Mazda Miata. Rigid and responsive without being racy. A bit harsh though. Carbon mike be more like a Lotus Elise, light, stiff, racy and responsive, but edgy. Ti is like a BMW 8 series or even a Tesla S. Luxurious, planted, plush without being floaty and yet very connected to the road. Spins up quickly without a lot of drama. Rides with a deceptive hush. Now I realize that there can be significant variations within each frame material, but that's the best way I know to characterize the Ti feel.

You nailed it with the grin.
Old 03-30-19, 08:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by indyfabz

I may have told you this once before, but of all the bike's posted on this forum, that one is a top 3 in drool factor!
Old 03-30-19, 08:09 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I took a couple pics of my chain line on the biggest rear cog (I have a 34x40). Apologies for the dirty chain this is my winter-ride-it-hard-put-away-wet machine

I have over a thousand miles on this chain and configuration. It's a little noiser in this combo but nothing awful, and I've panick shifted into the 40t often.

I am most concerned about it staying on during bumpy, technical, steep ascents. If it does, I'll be happy. I won't be in the upper 2 gears often, so I am not worried about wear. I'll spend most of my time where the alignment is ideal.
Old 03-30-19, 08:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Once you’ve ridden ti, carbon fiber you will not buy.
I prefer my carbon in my fishing rods!
Old 03-30-19, 08:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Nice rig

The ProMax post, stem, and spacers (?) really do pop. BTW, if you want some more blingy--Hope makes ano seat clamp collars in a variets of colors...finding them on this side of the Atlantic is hard...
Why go buying something from the Limies when there is a company right here in good ol’ ‘Merica? Purely Custom makes all kinds of colored bits including seatpost collars. They can even put designs...theirs or yours...on just about anything they sell. They even make seatposts so the color match might be better.

Kustom Kaps will make stem caps with any design you send them. They did my Dean cap

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

That went on my Dean

DSCN0934 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-19, 04:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have tried to describe the Ti ride, but always fall short in capturing the essence. Each of my frames rides a bit differently as you would expect since they are all built for different purposes, but each one has the balanced feel that I like.
My two bikes are quite different. Both road bikes but the first was intended as a do everything on pavement but tour or race. 28c and fenders. 3 X 9. It is stiff. Big tubes, moderately quick steering. (I do not like slow steering, high trail bikes.) The second is a purpose built road fix gear. Front end copied off a sport Peugeot that was married to a (probably) Bridgestone fork. Race quick steering. High BB for pedal clearance with 175s. Rear end dictated completely by the needs of the fix gear. (Super long, fully usable road style dropout for quick wheel flips.) The geared bike feels and functions like a really fine early '80s Japanese sport bike. The second, a full on '80 race bike, top of the line, in some alternative universe that never went to gears. Both bikes, despite being stiff, ride like ti over the rough stuff. Yes, a lot more input from the road surface than I would expect on say a Merlin with its much skinnier tubes, but still that ride where I have to curb the temptation to run my wheels over the worst pavement out there (even with steel forks on both bikes).

Speaking of steel forks on ti bikes - to date all the ti bikes I have ridden have had steel forks. It is my opinion that steel fork blades are a natural extension of the wonderful properties of titanium.

Like titanium, a material that functions in a fully elastic mode, but as a fork blade, the added stiffness compensates nicely for the fact that it is the only unsupported cantilever of any length on a bicycle.

And my dream? Get tubular tires on the fix gear. Make it a real race bike!

Ben
Old 03-31-19, 07:51 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I spent a little more time playing around in the neighborhood with it today. This is my first 29er. I have never had an MTB other than a 26er. I am very impressed with how it eats up bumps. I got a medium frame. A medium large would have been a better fit, but I got it adjusted out right, and it is downright cozy. It'll be this summer before I get to really run it through its paces out in Colorado, but I think it will serve me as well as my 26 FS.
Old 03-31-19, 07:57 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Why go buying something from the Limies when there is a company right here in good ol’ ‘Merica? Purely Custom makes all kinds of colored bits including seatpost collars. They can even put designs...theirs or yours...on just about anything they sell. They even make seatposts so the color match might be better.

Kustom Kaps will make stem caps with any design you send them. They did my Dean cap
Dang it, I thought I was just done with Bling....now you have me thinking of replacing the CaneCreek110 topcap on my groading rig...
Old 04-01-19, 10:07 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Absolutely hideous but intentional, so it's brilliant.

I had an 05/06 Litespeed Vortex with full DA. It sucked. I had it maybe 9 months and took a bath when I sold it. I was so happy to see it go. Still pretty bitter about it though.

I did have a 98' GT Xziang. I wish I never sold it.
Old 04-01-19, 01:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The more I rides my RANS V3 ti the more I loves it! Quite unlike all the other ti bikes above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.