Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sore legs, any miracle potions?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sore legs, any miracle potions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 05:17 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Another way to burn acid. Once every 30 min to an hour, gear up for a little resistance. Stand and pedal about 10-15 revs then go back to normal riding.
A shot of pickle juice also does wonders for cramps.
Old 06-13-19, 04:30 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Stretch and hydration
do it daily
use rollers on legs rub out the pain
it gets better
Old 06-15-19, 07:50 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
The Marines (or is it the Seals?) say pain is weakness leaving the body. The more I ride the less pain I feel so they may be right, that is unless you injure yourself.
Old 06-15-19, 04:30 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by gnappi
The Marines (or is it the Seals?) say pain is weakness leaving the body. The more I ride the less pain I feel so they may be right, that is unless you injure yourself.
"...weakness leaving the body?" Service sayings are so clever are they not? Too bad I'm not 18 anymore.
Old 06-16-19, 02:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by gnappi
Both, but mainly Marines. I served with both as a Navy Corpsman. They're all nuts, and I mean that as a compliment. Best duty I ever had in service.

One of my friends who's 20 years younger served in the USMC and was badly injured in training -- which is statistically how most service connected injuries occur. Mine was minor, I fell during rappelling and tightline training, but only fell about 20 feet onto soft sand. He was knocked off an APC and run over by another vehicle during a high speed maneuver training session. He still jokes around with that "Pain is weakness leaving the body" line, but I can see him struggling after a long day on the job. He's co-owner of a local micro-brewery and tap room, and there's a lot of manual labor involved. He's a great guy. I always loved the grunts.

When I was assigned to the Marines as a corpsman, we went through a second boot camp, a five week mini-Marine style boot camp lite. Not nearly as rough as real Marine boot camp. We had liberty most days and weekends, and being married I got to go home most evenings. But the physical fitness requirements were pretty much the same.

Our PT instructor was SSGT Munden, who's remembered both fondly and with a bit of respectful fear by many corpsmen who trained under him at Pendleton in the 1970s-'80s. He was the real deal, the sole survivor of an ambush that wiped out his rifle squad when he was only 19 or so. He seemed so much older than we when I met him, but it turns out he was only in his late 20s. He'd holler stuff like "Pain is beautiful, bud!" and "If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong!" To this day I hear his voice in my head when I'm grinding up hills on my bike. He died last year, not yet 70, much too young for one of the genuine tough guys.

We had a group of four guys, all Navy Corpsmen, who were en route to SEALs training. They'd just completed BUDs training, and thought the Marine-lite five week session would be a vacation before they got to the real SEALs grueling course at Coronado. But a couple of them admitted the Marine PT training was tougher than they'd expected.

We had a friendly rivalry with the SEAL trainees, and one of 'em taught me a trick for maximizing our pullups. The mandatory minimum was 20. He and I could do 50 or more. But the trick was to subtly use momentum, similar to a gymnast on the bars. We'd swing very slightly at the bottom of the cycle, and immediately go up again. If you hang too long before the next pullup the biceps and forearms get that familiar burn and sudden failure. The technique was actually terrible on the joints but we were teenagers and didn't care. SSGT Munden finally made us quit doing that and wouldn't allow it during our final PT test. We were struggling to do 20 proper pullups.

Nowadays in my physical therapy sessions, I do it the right way. Full range of motion, going for quality of each rep rather than quantity, working the muscles rather than the joints. I was hit by a car last year while I was riding my bike, and it broke and dislocated my shoulder and aggravated an old neck injury from a 2001 car wreck. After 6 weeks in PT, gradually working up from resistance bands to weight machines with 50 lbs, I finally did a pullup. As in one pullup. At age 61, I'll take it. That's a start.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-16-19, 09:08 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I used to suffer leg cramps and used Tonic Water to get past them. Then I discovered the following from Sam's Club.