Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Element, cannot set Di2 shifting to 1x?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-31-19, 03:36 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts

Hi all:I have an Elemnt Bolt, and am trying to set the Di2 shifting to 1x. In the Android Elemnt app, it displays an option for 1x, 2x, and 3x front chainring, but it's set to 2 and I cannot change it. I can change the small and big ring teeth count, but they cannot be the same.I've tried unpairing the Di2 sensor from the Bolt and repairing it, but the settings are preserved by either Bolt or App; the friendly name I've given the sensor is remembered, so is the sprocket config. Is anyone with an Android device able to set the number of front chainrings for they Di2 setup?Thanks!
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 02-27-22, 12:35 PM
mathiaspap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Hi all:I have an Elemnt Bolt, and am trying to set the Di2 shifting to 1x. In the Android Elemnt app, it displays an option for 1x, 2x, and 3x front chainring, but it's set to 2 and I cannot change it. I can change the small and big ring teeth count, but they cannot be the same.I've tried unpairing the Di2 sensor from the Bolt and repairing it, but the settings are preserved by either Bolt or App; the friendly name I've given the sensor is remembered, so is the sprocket config. Is anyone with an Android device able to set the number of front chainrings for they Di2 setup?Thanks!
hi i am having the same problem, have you managed to solve it?
Old 02-27-22, 04:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Very old post. Why not just ask your own question in your own thread even though this might be similar. Then there won't be any confusion as to who is being responded too.

Your Di2 stuff displayed by your Wahoo or any other device capable of displaying Di2 info are probably just a reflection of how Di2 is set up on your bike. So I'd look in eTube project and see if it thinks your bike is 1x.

However if you aren't familiar with Di2 setup, this is someplace maybe you should let a bike shop deal with.

Welcome to BF mathiaspap !

Though you have lurked for a very long time evidently.
Old 02-28-22, 06:21 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mathiaspap
hi i am having the same problem, have you managed to solve it?
I exchanged a few emails with Wahoo, but nothing ever came out of it. They were basically saying (IIRC) that if you have a mountain bike derailleur, you should have mountain bike shifters as this is how the software determined 1x vs 2x. At the time, having road shifters was locking the system in 2x mode. This may have changed since then.

In my case, I have a Deore XT rear derailleur with Ultegra road shifters. E-tube was perfectly fine with it but not the Wahoo unit. I gave up.
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 02-28-22, 06:30 AM
mathiaspap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ChinookTx

Thank you so much, appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

I have also spoken to Wahoo and these are my ‘findings’.

Normally these setting should be regulated from the Shimano etube app, however these settings are under the syncro shift options, which in our case is not activated as we do not have a front derailleur. So in short e tube project is of no help to us.

Garmin has the option to override these settings but Wahoo does not, so again we are stuck…..

My only thought is that potentially the Professional E Tube Windows app that Bike Shops have may have more options, but have not tried it yet.
Old 02-28-22, 02:02 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
No, the E-Tube for Windows/professional does not have more options, other than error checking / battery drain diagnostics and some reporting.

I'll have a look at my Di2 MTB tomorrow. I've never seen Di2 gear info carry over from the bike to a head unit though. On every device I've used (Garmin/Wahoo/Sigma), I've always had to set the gear data myself
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 02-28-22, 02:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
It's a Wahoo issue, not Di2. Garmin works just fine with a 1X system.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-28-22, 02:24 PM
mathiaspap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TerryDi2C

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Would really appreciate that.

thank you
Likes For mathiaspap:
Old 02-28-22, 02:30 PM
mathiaspap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FYI this is the response from Wahoo support

Thanks for reaching out to the Wahoo Fitness support team!
The number of chainrings is not configurable as the app gets the gearing (1x,2x,3x) from the Di2 system and this would need to be set in the etube project or by contacting Shimano or your local bike shop that is familiar with Di2.
Old 03-01-22, 06:08 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
So.. yeah..

Looks like the ELEMNT app doesn't let you set the number of chainrings. Bit odd, and probably Wahoo's fault. Their app<>Di2 isn't great
(I love my Wahoo devices, but definitely prefer Garmin's Di2 support)

Anyway, here are some screenshots.

I disconnected my MTB shift lever, and connected the ST-R8070 to my MTB. For some reason E-Tube still lists the MTB shifter (but no 'settings' for it and its page cannot be opened).
My MTB doesn't show the front chainrings option, so.. I have no idea how Wahoo does that .

Since the app decides for you, why would they bother showing the 1x - 2x - 3x boxes at all? They even hide them when the system is in 1x mode.
Also... there is only one 3x Di2 front derailleur... and that is a mountain bike FD..

Personally I don't really pay attention to the Wahoo app settings for Di2 gearing. I tend to ignore them completely. I only just noticed that my Di2 chainrings are set to 50x34 instead of 53x39 :}.

MTB, with only ST-R8070 connected

MTB

Road bike
Likes For TerryDi2C: