Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

No "Spoilers"

Old 06-22-19, 07:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
No "Spoilers"

General Reminder...Please do not put "Spoilers" in thread titles. Many of us watch races on a time delay, and prefer not to know results or significant news ahead of time.

You can easily make the subject known in a title, without giving anything away.

Thanks.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-22-19, 11:23 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
General Reminder...Please do not put "Spoilers" in thread titles. Many of us watch races on a time delay, and prefer not to know results or significant news ahead of time.

You can easily make the subject known in a title, without giving anything away.

Thanks.
I know when I watch a race on a time delay, and prefer not to know results or significant news ahead of time, I simply avoid the internet and sports TV altogether. And I darn sure avoid the specific sites that pertain to whatever form of racing I'm planning on watching later. Especially forums specific to racing. It's really rather common sense.

But that's just me.

As far as threads that have been started about Froome and Dumoulin (if that's what you're referring to), those were big news stories! They were not race stage results or news pertaining to a particular race stage that would merit a "spoiler alert" tag. You can't realistically expect someone to treat them as such either. So someone heard about Froome here instead of hearing about it on their DVR'd stage four of the Criterium they haven't watched yet ...big deal. The accident didn't happen in a race stage, therefore not a "race stage spoiler." It's ridiculous to expect news like that to stay silent and not make a thread title. If someone is upset over that, they are certainly "spoiled" in more ways than one.

And where do you draw the line? Is someone supposed to walk on egg shells only from one stage to the next, or do you refrain from posting the entire three weeks of the TdF because someone may be recording the entire race and won't watch it until sometime in August?!?

Now, if someone posts a thread title proclaiming "Sagan Won Stage 3 Today" yeah.. I kinda see your point (somewhat). But I really don't see a thread such as that around here.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-23-19, 04:53 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
um yah...why are we catering to a specific few? if you don't want to know and it's that important to you to be in a vacuum, don't talk to anyone, don't read texts, don't take calls,
don't walk into a sports bar and definitely don't go on the internet on bike forums.net. how does this fly in europe for cycling? do we have fellow luddites hiding from the world? guessing it's about the
same as someone in america saying i don't wanna know the result of the super bowl or game 3 of the world series or game 5 of the nba finals or game 6 of the stanley cup finals
before hunkering down for 2.5+ hours...i had someone miffy with me a while back because i supposedly posted a spoiler and i said don't check the professional cycling forum
(which, apparently, very few people do) but they said they hit the "new posts" feature and the supposed spoiler thread/response popped up so it was still my fault. really?! if it's that
important to you, get the time off and follow the event in real time so we don't spoil your party. it's a cycling forum. if i had posted a professional cycling race result thread in
the road cycling forum, it probably woulda been okay tho, because that's exactly where said thread belongs-esp around tdf time.

if it forces you to choose between your bf addiction and your unadulterated need to watch a race w/o prior knowledge of results, you prioritize. it's really not my (or others) problem.
is it a spoiler to title a thread "froomie crashed really really hard"/"froomie's spot of bother on stage 3" or "dumou tdf stage 2 + direct interface with asphalt = red asphalt?" how about "i really wish
bernal had shown more courage/limited his losses on the penultimate climb today?" maybe "lance woulda shredded bardet on today's alpe d'huez stage?" perhaps "ulrich crashes into rear window
of team car during final recon of first tdf stage?" whattabout "leading gc contender on leading team with 3 vowels in the team name abandons with 20 kms left?" howsa "contador
climbs back into contention, purito distanced?" are these all inappropriate? are these all okay? which ones and why/why not? does it matter (as much) if the "spoiler" of "dennis loses yellow jersey" happens on stage 4 vs stage 20? so we're all expected to walk like david carradine over rice paper so that a few people without any shred of current-day awareness can maintain their insular world?
asking for a few friends...

Last edited by diphthong; 06-23-19 at 06:01 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-23-19, 11:45 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I wasn't referring to specific current posts. more a reminder about future posts, since TdF will be starting soon.
And I agree, that the non race events are more "news" than spoilers.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-23-19, 12:33 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Posts with specificity in titles from the sub forum "Professional Cycling For the Fans" will pop up in "New Posts" Spoiling the events and results for those who are consuming races on time delay.
Is it an undue burden to keep specificity out of titles out of respect for those on a different schedule?

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-23-19, 12:46 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Bandera
Posts with specificity in titles from the sub forum "Professional Cycling For the Fans" will pop up in "New Posts" Spoiling the events and results for those who are consuming races on time delay.
Is it an undue burden to keep specificity out of titles out of respect for those on a different schedule?

-Bandera
Yep. Stay away if you don't want to be "spoiled." If you can't watch something live, that is YOUR problem ...should not be everyone else's.

That's whats wrong in a lot of different areas these days. Certain people feeling entitled, and others having to adjust their behavior for them.

I have a hard time with it.

Last edited by one4smoke; 06-23-19 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-23-19, 01:17 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by one4smoke
I have a hard time with it.
I am astonished that you do and will look forward to stumbling over your deeply insightful spoilers.

-Bandera
Old 06-23-19, 01:30 PM
one4smoke

I am astonished that you do and will look forward to stumbling over your deeply insightful spoilers.

-Bandera
Yeah, and I'm astonished a lot of things are the way they are these days. So it goes...

You're one of those that feel entitled? Only a spoiler if you let it be...

Last edited by one4smoke; 06-23-19 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 02:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Yeah, and I'm astonished a lot of things are the way they are these days. So it goes...

You're one of those that feel entitled? Only a spoiler if you let it be...
Oddly enough I don't feel entitled to not have Spoilers in Titles pop up in "New Posts".
It's important for the world wide Bike Forums community operating in different time zones to have members choose when and where to consume race content without being blindsided by BF spoiler post titles.

Read Post #1 in this thread and the "sticky" at the top of this sub-forum.
It's not a suggestion, it's good manners, proper forum etiquette and showing respect for other members.
If none of that matters spoiler away. I'm sure your posts will be far more insightful than Velo News, Cycling News, ABC TV, Steephill or any of the professional race coverage.

-Bandera
Old 06-23-19, 03:13 PM
one4smoke

Oddly enough I don't feel entitled to not have Spoilers in Titles pop up in "New Posts".

It's important for the world wide Bike Forums community operating in different time zones to have members choose when and where to consume race content without being blindsided by BF spoiler post titles.

Read Post #1 in this thread and the "sticky" at the top of this sub-forum.

It's not a suggestion, it's good manners, proper forum etiquette and showing respect for other members.

If none of that matters spoiler away. I'm sure your posts will be far more insightful than Velo News, Cycling News, ABC TV, Steephill or any of the professional race coverage.

-Bandera
I know, I know... all in the guise of good will toward all men. Much like all the other illusions these days.

You see it as good manners, proper forum etiquette and showing respect for other members. Good for you.

I see it as having to go out of my way, catering to someone because they chose to have their plan B when plan A didn't fit their agenda. Entitled. Essentially... "Hey everyone, I couldn't pay attention to this when it happened live with the rest of the general public, so you guys need to be extra careful and not ruin it for me when I do finally fit it into my agenda. I refuse to use good common sense and avoid any place that I may be exposed to the information that will ruin my selfish plans... no, no, no. I'm counting on YOU to do everything you can to benefit me. I want my cake and ice cream too, by golly.

That's BS. Sorry.

Last edited by one4smoke; 06-23-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 04:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

That's BS. Sorry.
No, you are not "Sorry" that is disingenuous and really pretty weak.
If you are intent to "go out of my way" to post Spoilers have at it.
See Post #1 in this thread and at the top of this sub-forum "Professional Cycling For the Fans", and good luck with that.

On another subject I really don't have "good will to all men" but BF provides a handy Ignore button for the stubbornly hostile, narcissistic and clueless to:
Ignore: one4smoke

PS: In case you didn't get it like the existence of "time zones" that exist outside of the "center of the universe" that is TN we are Done here.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-23-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 04:29 PM
one4smoke

No, you are not "Sorry" that is disingenuous and really pretty weak.
If you are intent to "go out of my way" to post Spoilers have at it.
See Post #1 in this thread and at the top of this sub-forum "Professional Cycling For the Fans", and good luck with that.

On another subject I really don't have "good will to all men" but BF provides a handy Ignore button for the stubbornly hostile, narcissistic and clueless to:
Ignore: one4smoke

-Bandera
No, you misunderstood. Imagine that. The attitude of the entitled ...is what's sorry.

It's truly people like you that have no clue. Sadly, it's getting more and more prevalent every day.
Old 06-23-19, 07:07 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 452 Posts
I would have liked a trigger warning about a half dozen posts ago.

Oh well. I never got that pony for Christmas either.

Fair notice, @Homebrew1, and cheers to Charlie Papazian. You can't blame @one4smoke for the paranoia. We really are after him.
Old 06-23-19, 07:19 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by slcbob

Fair notice, @Homebrew1, and cheers to Charlie Papazian. You can't blame @one4smoke for the paranoia. We really are after him.
Haha...

Paranoia? Naaaaa, I wish. Unfortunately, it's the reality of the times.

Last edited by one4smoke; 06-23-19 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 09:07 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
No, you misunderstood. Imagine that. The attitude of the entitled ...is what's sorry.

It's truly people like you that have no clue. Sadly, it's getting more and more prevalent every day.
It sounds to me like you need a week (or maybe a month, IDK) of long the****utic bike rides, away from the internet and bf.
Old 06-23-19, 09:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
It sounds to me like you need a week (or maybe a month, IDK) of long the****utic bike rides, away from the internet and bf.
Hah. bf censored that word b/c it has a 4 letter sequence in it that mean something entirely different.
Old 06-23-19, 11:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I hate the etiquette, just cain't drink none a Granny's tonic for that.
Old 06-24-19, 01:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

oooh...this is the chippiest/spiciest the pro cycling forum has been in a looong time. liking it. i thought like only ten people entertained/frequented this forum. gladdened to know it’s at least twelve.
and yah...the word censor has been cranked up to nigel’s 11 lately. unintentionally hilarious which is, of course, the best kind of hilarious. i wish y'all would bring this much piss & vinegar
to the fantasy league and get your ya-ya's out. the lines are open.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-24-19 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 02:51 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i'm still trying to assess the viability of someone upset with "discovering" the result of a bike race via accessing bikeforums.net
before they've had a chance to sit down in their la-z-boy with beer and popcorn or scotch and more scotch (no popcorn) to view said race before
sitting/laying in said la-z-boy. it would seem like opening up the bikeforums.net all-encompassing world would be an obvious no-no but maybe it's just me.
i've seen wft/wth posts in "general discussion," "foo" and "road cycling (the worst catchall)" that begged to be (and eventually got) moved.
you open up bikeforums.net and assiduously avoid the "professional cycling" forum (as a general, hygenic habit) and even successfully negotiate/negate the
habitual click onto "new posts." yet, desmond-all of 4 posts-from new zealand manages, somehow, to post a thread and thread title about tejay crushing all comers
so far in "foo." bleeping "foo." tejay won that day's stage but you didn't get a chance to inhale/vape that information as you prefer. is it desmond's fault? is he the snarfargler?
i wouldn't open up espn.com if i were looking to avoid the dodgers/giants score or a brazil vs peru football update either...but again, maybe it's just me. and there's always a chance
that wanker craig in "c & v" or hothead hannah in "advocacy & safety" could guerilla tag that fresh professional cycling result to really drive their obsequious point home.
it would seem, despite time zones, that the fault, dear bf'ers, is not in the stars or interwebz but in ourselves. applying 20th century standards of access/speed
to the 21st century standards of instantaneous news is an imperfect exercise at best. perhaps thar be some generational discrepancies/preferences tambíen. yrmv.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-24-19 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 03:23 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob

he is nearly within our insidious, dissembling clutches...
Old 06-24-19, 04:11 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

There are two schools of thought at the boundaries here:

1) Logic, forethought to one's actions, discipline to apply the reasoning that comes from said forethought, and ownership of the outcome if there's a hiccup in that value chain.

2) It's your fault.

What part of #2 don't you get?

OK, there's the possibility that a thoughtful person might benefit from a reasonable reminder and change their behavior to the marginal benefit of someone who would actually recognize and appreciate it.

Remember this isn't about the peaceful residents of the sleepy little town with one stoplight and a 25mph speed limit. In another world, the person who blows through Mayberry at 60mph was wrong and they knew it. After running over Jimmy's dog and having to get of the car to explain themself to the deputy, they would be praying for two things:
1) he doesn't load his bullet
2) they didn't just step on @one4smoke's lawn.

But that is no longer the world. Clearly we needed more 25mph signs. What was Jimmy doing in the crosswallk with that silly dog, anyway? Janice, bring over some of Aunt Bee's cookies for our new friends. It's not their fault. It's ours. It's Elon's. Curse that Tesla autopilot. Sorry you have to delay your self-stimming behind the wheel. It does have a wheel, doesn't it? And look at the size of that TV! Goodness gracious. Oh, and sorry for all the mess that Scraps made on the bumper. ****er will hook you right up while you wait.

Kudos to the Department of Public Works for putting up another one of those 25mph signs.

Get with the program, curmudgeons.
Old 06-24-19, 04:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

something/history/experience/a receipt or nine tells me that grape is the official flavor of "professional cycling for the fans." frightening?

Last edited by diphthong; 06-24-19 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 04:29 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Wow. The Asterisker might be dialed up to 12 on the Tufnelometer.

I can understand how the many posts earlier asterisk inject occurred via a blunt instrument zealously applied, but what naughty words have G o o b at the base?
Old 06-24-19, 04:32 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

By the way, did you all know @one4smoke is a mental health professional? He's helping me drink the Kool-Aid. My favorite flavor is grape.

Meta commentary:
- I balked, deleted a post since my pic wasn't attaching. We'll see if it works this time.
- ooga-booga comment prior looks out of sequence because of my cheating here

Likes For slcbob:
Old 06-24-19, 04:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

yeah, it's beyond ridiculous. i don't think even freddie mercury could have scream sung through this pc to the nth degree asteriskpalooza. asteriskamont. asteriskstock. assteriskcaljam.
asteriskusfestival. asteriskaroo. asteriskachella. asteriskagate. asteriskybizness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.