Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Using a flat bar hybrid/gravel bike for hauling?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 06-25-19, 10:31 PM
Journey20

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, recently I've been looking into buying a bike and I came to the conclusion that I would most likely be looking at a flat bar hybrid/gravel bike. I would be using it for mostly road, but also some light gravel/dirt trails/paths in a wet, hilly area. However, something I didn't consider until now was that I'd also be possibly using it for grocery runs and I'd like to know if this sort of bike with an aluminum frame and rear racks with panniers would be strong enough to haul at least 40 lbs, of course assuming the rear rack is rated for such weight? Or should I be looking at a touring bike or a bike with a steel frame?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-19, 11:55 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Cannondale Quick can carry 35 pounds per it's spec sheet I think. Mine has a Tubus Fly Evo on the back and a couple of Ortlieb Bike Shopper panniers work great for grocery runs. I'm sure I've loaded it up beyond 35 pounds. The rack is made for 44 pounds I think.

The bike is rated for riders up to 300 pounds. I'm 185. So I'm not too worried about exceeding it's capacity with a few pounds extra cargo. On the other hand, 40 pounds really is a lot of groceries. Two gallons of milk is 16 pounds. Unless you're loading up on spam and chili cans it's pretty hard to even fit 40 pounds of groceries on the bike.

Last edited by daoswald; 06-26-19 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool possible

Go for it.. maybe buy a cargo trailer?

My Ortlieb panniers arrive empty and come back from the store, full of food.

I cannot blind guess how a pannier rack attaches to your bike..

Here, when they buy a rack, the LBS shop staff puts it on..

Old 06-26-19, 09:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Why not?

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-28-19, 08:28 AM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Makes sense to me...sespecially in an urban/city environment if the load is moderate and time/speed is a concern. My experience in utility is that whatever works is.
Old 07-04-19, 05:22 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Get the bike your most comfortable with. Price is a pretty big part of the "comfortable" angle. If your on the boards asking if it's ok for "x" amount of weight carrying I think it's kinda safe for me to assume your not the type to go out there and pound a bike till it breaks. You'd be saying something like " that broke fast" or " that lasted longer than I expected".

I have trailers to use for things and the last number of years my bikes have morfed into a comfortable smart riding bikes that can carry a little something at all times. I have racks for the front and rear and frame mount and seaport as well. I was on the lookout for a small to medium sized basket for years because I really didn't like the size of a wald, unless I needed that much space. Then one day I was in a rei store and spotted the yeti cooler baskets on a shelf that were sold separately and my search ended. They came in a 10x 10 size or 12x 12 size square both 3" high. Not huge and overwhelming in size to always have on the bike. Also noticed other coolers have baskets or I think they may be called "trays" in different shapes and sizes. I always have something on the bike these days if only to carry bike lock. Since cables really suck ( take your pack cable cutters to an old cable and see for yourself how easy they cut) and chains weigh so much the basket gets to carry it. Also found that the chalk bags the climbers use work great for the locks, they sinch up nice and tight.
Old 07-04-19, 05:32 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

The basket is 10 x 10 and only 3 inches high. The rubber coated wire is about the same diameter of the cables so it looks in proportion you could say. If later more carring capacity is needed justmkeep your eyes out for a kids trailer. They can be had for next to nothing in my book and are easy to modify.