Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sew up tire safety? Just bought a vintage track bike.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-09, 09:23 PM
artguywes
compulsivebikebuyer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Mid 80s Japanese, Canopus Track Bike, KHS 70's Fixie, Restored Bob Jackson 1973 Campy Bike,Cinelli Equip,Raleigh Carlton Reynolds 531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone I just bought a vintage Conopus track bike off of craigslist and would like some input on sew ups. (For $100!!!) It came outfitted with sew up mavic aero rims on Suzue hubs, campy bottom bracket and TTT bars. I'm a little nervous about riding sew ups. My armadillos have spoiled me with their resilience and durability. I'm going to check Sheldon Brown's site, but other privy information would be appreciated. Thanks - Wes

Keep the shiny side up!
Old 04-18-09, 09:49 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Just make sure the tires are glued on well. You have nothing to fear, except perhaps more flats than you were getting with the armadillos. And there are plenty of reliable guides for this. Just follow the directions to the letter until you know what you're doing, and you'll be fine. Beyond that, here are my tips.

1. Pre-stretch your tires. This means mounting them dry (unglued), inflating them to full pressure, and letting them sit for at least a few hours. I like to wait at least overnight. This is more for ease and cleanliness in mounting than safety.

2. The first coat of cement on the tire is usually just to saturate the cloth strip. The second coat makes it stick.

3. Wait until the cement is dry before mounting. This helps keep hands, braking surfaces, and tire sidewalls clean. The cement is pressure activated, so inflate fully when you're done, and let the cement set for a while before riding off. And make sure the valve stem is in straight.

4. Always ride with a spare and be sure it is ready to mount.

5. Use Tubasti only as a last resort, especially when the weather is warm. Some people will tell you Mastic is the only glue to use, but I've had good luck with Clement, Vittoria, and Continental, too.

After Armadillos, I think you'll enjoy the ride.
Old 04-18-09, 09:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Depending on the tire you use you can expect no more problems than with any other tire. I used to do loaded touring on sew-ups back in the 70s.

That said, track bikes usually came with very lightweight (fragile) tires shellacked to the rims. When a tire failed on the track, you were out of the race. End of story. So tires were light, fast, and very firmly attached to the rims.

Unless you're planning on using this bike exclusively on the track, you may want to consider more durable tires and a more user-friendly adhesive than shellac. The heaviest tubulars overlap in weight with some of the lightest clinchers and tend to be more durable, but still harder to fix in the event of flatting. Yellow Jersey offers a perennial deal on tubulars that's hard to beat: 3 tires for $50. It's hard to go wrong starting with these, at least.
Old 04-19-09, 08:02 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is so much that can be spoken about and asked about sewups. Do some of the reading that you mentioned you intend to do and then as specific questions form in your mind, post them here. I have been riding sewups exclusively for a number of years and other than the expense of a new tire when one flats, I love them. The one thing I do recommend before you ride your new steed for the first time is to deflate the tires completely and check the tires for a good bond with the rim. If the tire can be tugged off or pushed off with moderate pressure then I would recommend pulling the tires off completely and remounting them with fresh coats of glue on the tire and rim. Back in my racing days I knew of folks who used a very minimal amount of glue, supposedly to keep weight down and make removing their tires easier...this was a bad practice as it sometimes led to the tire rolling off the rim, especially when they flatted. So, check that tires so you don't wind up eating asphalt due to someone elses shoddy workmanship.

-j
Old 04-19-09, 05:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
When sewups are properly mounted and inflated, and assuming decent quality, the ride can't be beat. However, the hassle of gluing them on, their fragility and the difficulty in patching them make them less than ideal for general use. I know some will say, and already have, that they use them all round, but it'll get old really fast, and expensive.

I rode them in the eighties into the nineties, even in NYC, but stopped when I bought new clincher wheels and tires. The weight savings of the wheels and the feel of modern clinchers made it so it just wasn't worthwhile anymore to ride sewups. The gap had been significantly narrowed.
Old 04-19-09, 06:29 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I use Tufo tape on mine. I wouldn't bother with tubulars if I had to deal with glue.
Old 04-20-09, 06:51 PM
artguywes
compulsivebikebuyer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Mid 80s Japanese, Canopus Track Bike, KHS 70's Fixie, Restored Bob Jackson 1973 Campy Bike,Cinelli Equip,Raleigh Carlton Reynolds 531

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate all of the valid input. After reading more I did what many of us do and threw caution to the wind and dug into this tire replacement. It has now been 24 hours and the glue appears to have set well.

As a union finish carpenter I use contact adhesive every day and was wondering if it is any different. Something that is common knowledge among us carpenters is that mixing (using a water based on one side and oil based contact on the other side) glue types is the strongest contact bond possible. Wood glued in this manner takes a pry bar to separate. Maybe I will conduct an experiment once I get another set of rims.
Old 04-21-09, 12:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
Contact cement sounds like a good idea. With your experience, I think your tires are in good hands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-21-09, 05:37 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Stick with the glue made for the purpose. You need to be able to remove the tire without damaging it. Tubular glues allow that. You don't repair a flatted tubular out on the road, you replace it with a spare and repair it at home.

If your experimental glue fails in a high speed turn, the tire can can roll off and you could die.
Old 04-21-09, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

What increases the likelihood of a rolloff? In my late teens and early twenties, I rode tubulars a lot, and I didn't always glue them. I relied on the residue. Heard a lot of warnings but never had or witnessed a rolloff. I was light then, and I was probably light on the turns, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-21-09, 07:10 PM
Pete07
Returning to the fold....

Bikes: 1978 Condor (now a fixie) and 2005 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What glues worked for me when I was riding tubulars

After I rolled a tire (that means it came off) during a sprint finish and got 5 stitches in my head in the early 70's, I paid a lot more attention to gluing on tubulars. ultimately I got a job at a high end bike shop and glued on a lot of tires for customers.

As far as suggested glues from the time machine, we didn't like the white tubular glues, we did like Clement and the other brown glues, and when it had to get put on tonight and raced on tomorrow, we used GM Fast Tack Trim adhesive from the car parts store. Yes you might rip up the tire base strips when you took it off but it was not going to come off during the ride.

The downside was that if you got a flat on the road, Fast Tack didn't leave enough of a base to help fasten the tire to the rim. The heat from the brake pads would help melt the old glue and start to fasten the new tire to the rim. That was when the brown glues paid off and provided a good base for future tires.

Good luck - I never rolled a tire after that first mistake
Old 04-21-09, 07:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Thanks for reminding me why I won't ride tubulars. Clinchers have come a long way, too.

What do they use in track races these days? I imagine tubular tires and rims are still lightest.

Old 04-24-09, 02:40 PM
artguywes
compulsivebikebuyer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone!!! It worked great. Some glue and attention to detail paid off. The tire is rock solid and no lateral movement. The old Canopus track frame is also one of the quickest bikes I've ever ridden. Big fun.
Old 04-24-09, 02:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We want pictures!

Old 04-24-09, 04:54 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you get some more money, invest in a good set of clincher wheels for everyday use. Save the tubulars for special rides.
Old 04-24-09, 05:09 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
When you get some more money, invest in a good set of clincher wheels for everyday use. Save the tubulars for special rides.

That's just wrong, wrong, wrong
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 04-24-09, 09:19 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Barker

That's just wrong, wrong, wrong
Just a suggestion. Wrong would be having the hubs relaced to clincher rims.