Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Sun Protection from a Dermatologist

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 08:05 PM
markrj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Common sense, evaluate the risks , your set of genetics. In three known generations of farmers and sun worshipers in our family , I have never seen a skin cancer.
+1
Old 10-21-16, 04:56 PM
warren1958

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skin cancer

I have been very good about using sun screen since becoming a cyclist. But I was diagnosed with skin cancer on my nose this week. It is basal cell, the least dangerous kind, but it is on a part of the nose that limits surgical options so it may mean radiation or chemotherapy.

So I have increasing my UV protection. There are UV arm and leg protectors made for warm weather riding. The head, neck, and face is a bit more difficult to find things that work. the skull covers that I see are all for cold rides and not sun protection.
Old 10-21-16, 05:17 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canopus
$30 dollars, really! Come on, I'm with Rowan, a cap and a $1.00 bandana. Used it today for a 95 miler. I use 70 SPF Neutrogena but it still doesn't hold up well enough for me...
I've found neutrogena to be completely ineffective.

The sun cape is ugly as sin. Might as well wear a burqa then.
Old 10-22-16, 05:07 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by warren1958
I have been very good about using sun screen since becoming a cyclist. But I was diagnosed with skin cancer on my nose this week. It is basal cell, the least dangerous kind, but it is on a part of the nose that limits surgical options so it may mean radiation or chemotherapy.

So I have increasing my UV protection. There are UV arm and leg protectors made for warm weather riding. The head, neck, and face is a bit more difficult to find things that work. the skull covers that I see are all for cold rides and not sun protection.
You must not be looking very hard. I googled these in about 20 seconds
White Halo Solar Skull Cap & Tail
NozKon
Old 10-22-16, 08:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
NozKon
I've been using the Halo caps w/o tails for years, even in 100°+ temps. They work great. I also use white sun sleeves in all sunny weather. I never pull them down. So far, no leg sleeves as my legs aren't showing the sun damage that my arms show even having used sunscreen.
Old 10-23-16, 04:27 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I love the sun sleeves, I have both the arm and leg kinds. A few good burns on the knees changed my mind. I've also though about getting a sun balaclava but I dunno about looking like a bank robber on a brevet... for the price I might give it a go anyway.
Old 10-23-16, 04:45 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I love the sun sleeves, I have both the arm and leg kinds. A few good burns on the knees changed my mind.
I have started wearing a plain white rash guard under my jersey most of the time. I tried it on a really hot 400k earlier this year and found that it helped keep me cooler during the day and warmer at night, so I wore one on the 600k too. What kind of leggings do you use? I've had my eye on the Castelli UPF 50+ Light Leg Skins but haven't pulled the trigger since I would probably only use them a couple of times a year.

Originally Posted by clasher
I've also though about getting a sun balaclava but I dunno about looking like a bank robber on a brevet... for the price I might give it a go anyway.
I can't imagine that's comfortable on a hot day. Let us know how it works.
Old 10-23-16, 06:39 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have started wearing a plain white rash guard under my jersey most of the time. I tried it on a really hot 400k earlier this year and found that it helped keep me cooler during the day and warmer at night, so I wore one on the 600k too. What kind of leggings do you use? I've had my eye on the Castelli UPF 50+ Light Leg Skins but haven't pulled the trigger since I would probably only use them a couple of times a year.

I can't imagine that's comfortable on a hot day. Let us know how it works.
I've got the sugoi sleeves, they've been pretty solid for two seasons now.

I dunno if I'll ever get the balaclava, I don't have much problems with sun on my face.
Old 10-23-16, 07:40 PM
warren1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NozKon
Skull and neck are not as hard to find. I've had difficulty finding one for face coverage that's for warm weather and has an opening to take a drink.
Old 10-24-16, 05:42 PM
23109VC

Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 30, 2008 Scott SUB 20

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually spray myself with a ton of sunscreen before a ride... maybe I should look into these sleeve things... thanks Dr. for looking out for us!
Old 11-08-16, 12:28 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Check out solumbra stuff as well.
Old 06-20-18, 04:56 PM
warren1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you Googled something in 20 seconds that does nothing to cover the face which is my main concern.
Old 06-20-18, 05:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I see you Googled something in 20 seconds that does nothing to cover the face which is my main concern.
I use one of those, and for similar reasons.

Before committing to an extreme treatment for basal cell carcinoma, look into some alternatives including Mohs surgery https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...n/mohs-surgery and various topical photo-activatable complexes that kill surface cells with targeted CO release.

For the nose, I find the only thing that will really work is a nice thick zinc oxide coating. Keep your head down, use a helmet with an extended shield instead of small sunglasses, and stay out of peak UV (11 am to 3pm here).
Old 06-21-18, 03:06 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Peak UV 10 AM to 4 PM. MOHs prob always used on face if possible.
Old 06-26-18, 11:17 AM
warren1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, MOHS was not a good option for my situation. I consulted several doctors (oncologist, plastic surgeon, surgeon, radiologist, dermatologist) and the MOHS procedure would have required rebuilding my nose with a "forehead flap" procedure. It requires multiple surgeries, takes several months (during this time you are disfigured where you wouldn't want to be in public or at work), and the end result is so-so. The only good thing is that it is close to 100% cure rate.

I opted for radiation which took 30 days (5 days a weeks for 6 weeks). The treatment facility was only about 5 minutes from my office and each procedure only took 15 or 20 minutes (about 30 seconds of radiation each time). Just a few minor side effects and visually you can't tell anything was ever there. Downside is cure rate is about 90%.
Old 06-26-18, 02:46 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 83 Posts
Solumbra makes a variety of face guards, gaiters, etc. that cover the whole lower face, including the nose.

I had MOHS done to the side of my face a few years back. I haven't resorted to one of these types of garments. I slather on the zinc oxide instead.
Old 09-12-18, 12:15 PM
warren1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the options for the cancer on my nose was MOHS surgery but it would have required extensive reconstructive surgery so I opted for radiation. I am paranoid about sun exposure but still want to ride. At present, I also slather on the zinc oxide but I also wear "Dabrim" which is a brim that fits on a bike helmet. It provided pretty good sun protection. I hardly notice it being there except on descents when the wind speed increases and it is a little annoying but still okay. But always looking for a better solution so I will look at Solumbra.