Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 05:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Feeling maybe 85% better but I am still full of sinus goo. Interesting session with my fitter and by the time that was over, the rain had cleared.

So I went out to ride openers for my TT tomorrow. The legs felt good. The sinus goo sloshed around when in aero. I had a five minute threshold interval. Big gob of phlegm in my throat and I almost hacked up a lung. This caused snot to stream from my nose. It was about as lovely as you might imagine. Thankfully it was cold and dreary out, so there was no one else around. By the time my interval was over my HR was reaching max and I was having trouble catching my breath.

But I made the interval target, no problem.

Tomorrows goal is going out there & collecting some series points if possible. I just need a top three placement to get some points. I'm way behind Nemesis but want to stay close enough that she at least knows she has to show up & race well for the rest of the series.

I'm feeling like I probably had a nice phlegm-clearing ride anyway. I'll be right as rain in the morning, no doubt.

In my pajamas already. Lounging on the sofa for the remainder of Saturday.
Old 01-07-17, 08:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
3 x 10 minute 30 on 30 off on the TT bike on Fiesta Island today. Due to the rain, the road has a lot of dirt on it. It is starting to look like the flat sections of the Strada Bianca in Italy.

Beautiful day to day with light winds, filtered sun and temperatures in the high 60s.
Old 01-07-17, 08:37 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Half hour recovery ride on the trainer at the shop where I work. I spent much of the time configuring the Garmin's screen and finding the various sensors. You'd think that it would transfer the stuff from the way I configured the computer for outdoor rides, but nooooo...

So it rained yesterday and froze overnight. I transport my bike in the back of my F-150. I've got a 2x6 with fork mounts bolted to it that fits in slots in the sides of the bed. When I went to load my bike in the truck to go to the shop, the skewer wouldn't budge. Tapping on the skewer with my pocket knife didn't help. I went back into the house and grabbed a framing hammer and had to wail on the skewer to get it to break the ice inside loose. In south effin' Louisiana.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-08-17, 11:01 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I drove up to Fremont yesterday for the mentor training. The drive was dismal until I got to the East Bay, where it was dry, but windy. I arrived a half hour early and waited. And waited. And waited! So, I checked my email, which I had done before I left. The mentor training had been cancelled. The email had been sent over an hour after I left my house.

I drove an hour twenty minutes back home.

Did not ride. At all.

Today's Early Bird training was cancelled. I DID get that email.
Old 01-08-17, 11:17 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ugh sarals. what a sucky waste of time.

good luck today heathpack!
Old 01-08-17, 02:19 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by valygrl
ugh sarals. what a sucky waste of time.

good luck today heathpack!
It was. I tried to put a good spin on it.

Did I see you on Zwift this morning?

@Heathpack - crush it!
Old 01-08-17, 02:22 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Zwift Watopia this morning, a full h I rode the track bike, 74 inch gearing so I could spin up. I was able to move right along and the resistance felt about right. Power was up there, as was my HR. As they should have been! Felt pretty good for a trainer ride! I was overtaken by this ginormous gaggle, I'd guess 60 or so riders with all sorts of dialog balloons popping out of it. Of course it had to be on the dusty stretch! I slowed down and let them go. Holy samolians.....
Old 01-08-17, 02:49 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yep,that was me, just got off Zwift, did an hour easy then a 50k group ride, i somehow got fat on my cycling vacation and i'm trying to spin in off.
Old 01-08-17, 05:45 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by valygrl
yep,that was me, just got off Zwift, did an hour easy then a 50k group ride, i somehow got fat on my cycling vacation and i'm trying to spin in off.
Ah, I was right! I stayed on your wheel for a bit, but I was spinning my little fanny off on that fixed gear, and when my HR got critical I had to sit up. Next time I'll bring a road bike!

Fat? You??? Riiiight...!
Old 01-08-17, 08:04 PM
revchuck 
OMC

2:30 group ride today. It felt pretty hard to me, but I thought I was just tired. Turned out it was pretty hard, ended up with a .88 IF, which may be a PR for a ride of that length.

I was the last one ready for the ride, and the group had already started pulling out before I started my Garmin. I switched it on, got on the bike and pushed the ride button as soon as the computer detected movement. I had forgotten to take it off trainer mode from yesterday, though. Pretty sure that messed up both the elevation and speed.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-08-17, 08:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hour endurance ride that was done in 1:52. What is always interesting about cycling and kilojoules is that I generate about the same KJ over the distance. It is the time that varies. This was one of my highest average power rides with my chain gone missing.

Beautiful day at the beach. 74 degrees.

Old 01-09-17, 09:10 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Zwift Watopia this morning, a full h I rode the track bike, 74 inch gearing so I could spin up. I was able to move right along and the resistance felt about right. Power was up there, as was my HR. As they should have been! Felt pretty good for a trainer ride! I was overtaken by this ginormous gaggle, I'd guess 60 or so riders with all sorts of dialog balloons popping out of it. Of course it had to be on the dusty stretch! I slowed down and let them go. Holy samolians.....
I saw you there. Said hi in one of the balloons then lost you in the mess of folks that were there. Continued on doing an hour of low Z2
Old 01-09-17, 09:24 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
I saw you there. Said hi in one of the balloons then lost you in the mess of folks that were there. Continued on doing an hour of low Z2
You were there??? Oh, I wish I'd known that!

I can NOT keep up with all of those dialog balloons! I gave up looking at them after a while.

As it turns out, at least a half dozen or more people that I know, from here and on the real road, were on there yesterday when I was. How cool is that?
Old 01-09-17, 01:24 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rapwithtom
And just like that you're a skier. How was it?

I got in a couple of hours of turns this morning at our local hill. ~24" of freshie, the best skiing I've had in a while. It was a bit cold, though, hovering somewhere around zero.
Friday I went up an hour or so before they opened The Chutes. Got in some warm up runs then went through the gates and got powder shot poisoning (in a good way). Quit when the legs went jello. It was one of those days where I realize that this is not the worst place to live.

Of course all that powder restated itself and is threatening to flood downtown now.

Yin, meet yang.
Old 01-09-17, 05:28 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
5 miles ru**i*g on the treadmill at noon then a 3x8@FTP with 4 rbi after work in some zwiftland deal
Old 01-09-17, 05:33 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Just an hour at recovery pace this morning.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-09-17, 09:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Gym workout. Legs, jumping, upper body, core and hamstring active stretching exercises. Cryotherapy after workout. My legs felt great today after the harder endurance ride on Sunday.
Old 01-10-17, 09:27 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Woo hoo

Woke up today and did not feel the need for cold medicine

Progress.
Old 01-10-17, 09:36 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-10-17, 01:48 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Woo hoo

Progress.
Old 01-10-17, 01:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Not sure if this is my last cycle in this particular weight program, or we're going another one. It is definitely working, as no matter how beat I think I am from the AM weights, I'm still able to pull off the work on the bike. When the coach hears the whining from his kids, he lets them know that he has a 58 year old on a 4 day a week weight program. Get to it.

Glad to help.
Old 01-10-17, 01:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Woo hoo

Progress.
Old 01-10-17, 03:00 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Gym today, mostly body weight core stuff.

Me doing hamstring curls on balance ball = cow on ice.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-10-17, 06:40 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Not sure if this is my last cycle in this particular weight program, or we're going another one. It is definitely working, as no matter how beat I think I am from the AM weights, I'm still able to pull off the work on the bike. When the coach hears the whining from his kids, he lets them know that he has a 58 year old on a 4 day a week weight program. Get to it.

Glad to help.
You're killing me! (...or you will be when I next ride with you.) You make it impossible to be a guilt-free couch potato.

PS - I probably should change my Zwift name from "Bahati" to "Round Mound of Rebound".

PPS - what is "TRS" that everybody keeps mentioning?
Old 01-10-17, 09:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta Island sprinters workout. So what the hell is that? So my new coach is working on my ahem plan and Thursday is another session at VSC. In the mean time, I wanted to do something that a sprinter actually may do.

I started with a lap around Fiesta at 60 to 80 watts. Yep, I just imagined the pro sprinters on my wheel complaining if the pace got too fast. At the section where the wind was at my back I pretended that the motor pulled of in the keirin and I started to increase pace. For the last 200 meters I lit it up to 130 rpm and high power.

I was thinking about laying down on the beach but kept pedaling and then did a seated acceleration in 90 gear inches. I rolled along and thought, there is a slight downhill coming and I can use it like banking and do a 100 meter standing jump which is what I did.

I decided on some low cadence intervals at tempo power in the drops with a max acceleration at the end. I pedaled on and knocked out three more of those.

I ended up 1/2 way around the island and pedaled in a 50 watts for a nice warm down.

So the big difference in my sprint workout and what the guys who can really sprint would do is that I did not lay down on the beach and rest 20 minutes between intervals. These guys are like cheetahs that lay around and lick their paws most of the time. And I probably did not go hard enough on the acceleration whereas they would have just about turned themselves inside out on the acceleration phase.

But not a bad workout and I did hit some really good power numbers on my accelerations but probably not as big as if I had rested 20 minutes between efforts. If I had done that, I would missed picking up the missus at the airport. Very bad.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-11-17 at 12:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.