Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a new bike= cyclocross+touring

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 07:56 AM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new bike to, hopefully, satisfy my bike lust

I already have 2 good road bikes, one of which is "race-able". Now I'm looking for a combo bike for off-road riding, which is close to what cyclocross is, and touring.

I don't know what the finer differences are between road bike geometry and cyclocross geometry, except that the latter has more tire clearance and uses cantilever style brakes.

But I also want to be able to mount racks and use fatter tires for touring and commuting.

One thing to consider is the material. How does 753 or 853 steel compare with 4130 chromoly in terms of rust resistance, ride quality, etc.

Is this doable? Is it weird? Are there bikes out there that already have this combo, or should I resort to custom build?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-12, 08:07 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't tell you anything about the material. But cross bikes have a more relaxed geometry, so a taller head tube. The fork has a wider gap for more clearance, allowing bigger tires and also so mud does not get stuck. These bikes usually come with bigger tires already, not full on MTB knobby tires, and not skinny road bike tires, little of both. That's pretty much it as far as I know. They either come in cantilever, regular ones that road bikes come with (don't know the name) or disc brakes. And they have the appropriate holes to install fenders and racks.
Old 10-25-12, 08:37 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Lot of bikes that are marketed as cross bikes have fender/rack mounts.

UCI rules only allow a maximum width tire of 32mm, but many CX bikes have clearence for wider.

Many CX bikes will work well touring.

Just avoid the truly purpose built CX bikes that don't even come with water bottle mounts.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-25-12, 08:53 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Numerous cross- and cross-like bikes are fine for gravel/dirt trails and touring: Salsa Vaya, Surly Cross Check or LHT, Specialized Tricross, Soma Doublecross, Jamis Aurora.

The differences between cross and road bikes aren't that significant. Cross bikes tend to have more clearance for wider tires and fenders; will come with canti brakes, and are just starting to get disc; they usually have larger front triangles and cables running along the top of the tube, to make the bike easier to carry. Some will have a slightly longer wheelbase.

One key item that will probably need some tweaks is the gearing. Touring usually requires low gearing, as you will eventually have to lug 20+ pounds of gear up a steep hill at the end of the day. You're likely to need a triple and wide cassette.

I'd probably go for a Surly Disc Trucker. It's a bit heavy and a tad slow, but it's a versatile bike, already has low gearing, 26" tires, should work well for paths, pavement, commuting, touring, and general recreational rides.
Old 10-25-12, 09:08 AM
CoMotionRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Salsa Vaya. I looked at the Surley Disc Trucker but I liked the way the Vaya rode. I think the Vaya is more geared to offroad and gravel paths and mid weight touring. For heavy touring the LHT i think is better suited, it has 36 spokes. I use the Vaya for commuting and some club rides, rail to trails and I have had it on a single track a few times. Just have to change the tires. If I was going to tour across the US and take camping and cooking gear, I would get new 36 spoke rims for the bike. For 4-7 day carrying full gear, I will go with the rims that came stock on it. I rode the Vaya across North Carolina and it rained several days and I love the disk brakes.
Old 10-25-12, 09:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I was looking in to something like this a little while back. The favorite that I came across was the Hampsten Strada Bianca, which is custom but not crazy expensive.