Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rack for PX-10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: which one?
Soma Rakku
60.00%
Tubus Logo Evo
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Rack for PX-10

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 06:40 PM
ballinwang

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack for PX-10

Hi all,

I recently finished restoring a blue '75 PX-10 and am looking for a rack for it. Would a silver rack look good on it? I'm currently looking at either the Soma Rakku which is $50 cheaper than the Tubus Logo Evo
. Which one would look better on the bike and is the Tubus really worth $50 more? Also, I'm thinking about either mounting the rack with P-clips or the Tubus seat stay mounts. Which one should I go with?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tubus.jpg (103.9 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by ballinwang; 03-28-18 at 06:42 PM. Reason: multiple images
Old 03-28-18, 06:54 PM
ballinwang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is the bike
IMG_20180328_172649.jpg
Old 03-29-18, 01:17 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
What is your intended use for the rack? Both of those you linked to are very modern and beefy, really intended for extended, expedition style touring. Not really a great aesthetic match for a classic race bike like yours.

If it's just for occasional touring / light hauling, I would go with either a vintage Jim Blackburn, or maybe one of the Nitto or Velo Orange rear racks. The Blackburn and Velo Orange racks won't be as stiff / strong as your choices, but will be a much better match to your bike, and are plenty strong enough for the loads you would want on a bike like that.

Here is an older post with a photo of a white Peugeot with an early Jim Blackburn rack: https://www.bikeforums.net/16008890-post13.html

Beautiful bike by the way. It looks like you did a great job on it.
Old 03-29-18, 04:17 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
On a PX-10, those would look horrible. I'd go with a minimal rack, classic style, like this one:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...teur-rear-rack
Old 03-29-18, 08:45 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I'd get an axiom streamliner road since it's designed to mount to the brake bolt. If you wanted to strip the powdercoating/paint, it would polish up beautifully since it's aluminum. Another option is the blackburn ex-1 it's stainless so more expensive but you'd need p-clamps to mount it or you could fabricate a custom mount from some flatbar so you can mount it to the brake bolt. Many of the cheaper no-name racks have three sets of holes so you can mount them to the brake bolt. I think that's the cleanest way to mount them on a vintage from, unless you really plan on loading the rack up.
Old 03-29-18, 09:03 AM
ballinwang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
What is your intended use for the rack? Both of those you linked to are very modern and beefy, really intended for extended, expedition style touring. Not really a great aesthetic match for a classic race bike like yours.

If it's just for occasional touring / light hauling, I would go with either a vintage Jim Blackburn, or maybe one of the Nitto or Velo Orange rear racks. The Blackburn and Velo Orange racks won't be as stiff / strong as your choices, but will be a much better match to your bike, and are plenty strong enough for the loads you would want on a bike like that.

Here is an older post with a photo of a white Peugeot with an early Jim Blackburn rack: https://www.bikeforums.net/16008890-post13.html

Beautiful bike by the way. It looks like you did a great job on it.
Thanks!

I will be doing errands and commuting with the bike. I'm looking to find a way to put a backpack and panniers on the bike at the same time. Thinking about the wald basket but afraid it'll be too small, and that's why I chose these rack's with the double rail. If the wald basket could fit a backpack full of books then I would go with the minimal choices in a second.
Old 03-29-18, 09:04 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The Tubus Logo Evo probably won't fit anyway. The top is too long for a traditional geometry bike. Designed for modern bikes with sloping top tubes. It will hit the rear brake, unless you tilt it back. I know this because I have one.

As has been said, it depends what you want to do with it. The VO constructeur style racks are an option. I have the front one on my PX10. See below. For the rear, you'd need fenders too. Good enough for small stuff, commuting, etc.

I think the most period correct would be a Pletscher. Rivendell sells an improved one that looks retro but has double stays and hence would actually be usuable for overnight camping. Pletscher was all anyone used in the early 70s, unless they lived in France.

Old 03-29-18, 09:07 AM
JT1973

Bikes: 1973 Jack Taylor ToB, 1974 or '75 LeJeune Champ du Monde (possibly from the Carre Shop), 1971 Motobecane Le Champion, 1980s Rodriguez frame (future 650b conversion project)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I second or third the recommendation to avoid those thick tubed aluminum racks for your application. I bought the Tubus Vega in silver and the large diameter of tubing was incongruous with vintage bike. Also the rear dropout attachment is spaced at 135mm, quite a difference than the likely 120mm on your Peugeot. I didn’t mount that Tubus rack for those reasons. VO contructeur in polished stainless would look a lot better.
Good luck. Nice Peugeot.
Old 03-29-18, 09:33 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
I have a spare Pletscher, yours for the cost of postage.
Old 03-29-18, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Period Appropriate, old Pletscher spring clip rack with the T mount ( to the brake center bolt) so the clamps wont slip down ..

When he started his touring adventures Ian Hibell added a triangulating tensioned cable to His, to steady it a bit..
Old 03-29-18, 12:40 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
You want this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackburn-R...IAAOSwx9ZauQtc

Attaches to the brake bolt. Easily polished with Mother's Aluminum polish and looks correct for the age of the bike.
Old 03-29-18, 01:16 PM
ballinwang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have a spare Pletscher, yours for the cost of postage.
Pm'd.
Old 03-29-18, 01:38 PM
ballinwang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
On a PX-10, those would look horrible. I'd go with a minimal rack, classic style, like this one:

Would the VO Campeur rack work well also? I prefer the double railed racks to have a trunk bag or a crate on top.
Old 03-29-18, 02:02 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinwang
Would a silver rack look good on it?
How about trying to color-match the rack w/spray paint?

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Pletscher spring clip rack with the T mount ( to the brake center bolt) so the clamps wont slip down ..
Good lluck; I had a topic here last year, went everywhere I could find at shops, on-line and this forum looking for one of those T-mounts.

Old 03-29-18, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Try DIY?
Old 03-29-18, 02:20 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Not sure why period correct matters for the OP, based on his requests for something functional. The Pletscher racks lack lateral stiffness from my recollections.

How about the smaller but plenty stiff and strong Tubus Fly, made from steel tubing (like most Tubus racks), available in either black powder coat or stainless (Matt silver) that attaches to the brake bolt? They are excellent with panniers, but the top is not wide enough for a rack bag. Instead, we use largish seat-post mounted bags that end up resting on that top surface.

Tubus Fly Evo Rear Rack ? TheTouringStore.com

And to answer the original question, I think a silver rack would look great, especially with the chrome socks of the frame.
Old 03-29-18, 08:46 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091

My thoughts exactly. It can be set up without fenders like this:

I would personally put it lower on the bike so there wasn't so much gap between the tire and the rack, but one would want to test fit panniers first I suppose.

It's currently 20% off at Outside Outfitters, just be prepared to wait a month or two for it to arrive...

I have two of them and think they really look slick, especially with fenders:

Old 03-29-18, 10:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I'll chance being blunt, this is a quite steep-angled race bike from the Thevenet era of Peugeot "out Italianing" the quickest-steering bikes of the time, so this bike seems an odd choice of commuting/errand-runner.
On the other hand, "low trail" is the operating word for this bike AND for the use of a front-mounted rack, so a minimalist/sporting front rack that supports a modest-sized handlebar bag (vs. a "rack trunk") could be an effective higher-performing errand-runner.
Fully embrace the performance aspect of this exceptional bike or sell it to someone who will(!).
Great bike imo, ...the long stem should help keep it under control, just don't leave it sitting outside to get ripped off.
This bike's performance, especially under out-of-saddle efforts (hills, sprints, bring 'em on) is something that I hope you will enjoy. There are quite few bikes as agile and responsive as this one (post-1972 so not your grandma's PX10).

Last edited by dddd; 03-29-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 11:18 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

The French bike-boom steeds like the PX10, Gitane TdF and Motobecane Grand Record have gorgeously curved forks with ample offset, but low trail they are not.

You want something real fancy and super sexy that would look perfect on your PX10? Get a Carradice Nelson or Camper Long Flap saddle bag with their quick mount system.
Old 03-30-18, 07:50 PM
ballinwang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
My thoughts exactly. It can be set up without fenders like this:

I would personally put it lower on the bike so there wasn't so much gap between the tire and the rack, but one would want to test fit panniers first I suppose.

It's currently 20% off at Outside Outfitters, just be prepared to wait a month or two for it to arrive...

I have two of them and think they really look slick, especially with fenders:

The Constructeur looks great and slick, but not enough at all for 2 panniers and a backpack. Back to my previous question, would the Campeur rear rack look niiice too?
Old 03-30-18, 08:40 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I have a '72 Fuji Finest, which (to be charitable) was "inspired" by the PX-10. The PX-10 may have geometry that is 1 degree steeper (it could make a difference), but I've had that Fuji set up in all sorts of configurations - from nothing mounted, to a front bag and a rear rack with a trunk bag and 10+ pounds. It's a lot more fun to ride unburdened, but it wasn't terrible when tooling around as a workhouse either.

The other consideration is aesthetics. On this one, I agree with many of the earlier critics to an extent. However, if you put mud guards on it, it will look less like a racing bike and less "strange" with a bulky rear rack. You will want relatively wider tires for non-racing duty anyway, and that will give it even more "cred" as an about-town ride. Just don't try high-speed descending with 20 pounds of stuff on the back.
Old 03-30-18, 11:03 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by ballinwang
The Constructeur looks great and slick, but not enough at all for 2 panniers and a backpack. Back to my previous question, would the Campeur rear rack look niiice too?
I think it would be the bees knees!

And for the record, it would be hard to imagine a commuter without fenders. And for those cringing at the thought of a PX10 with fenders, explain why there are eyelets on the fork ends and dropouts?

Two more cents...
Old 03-31-18, 06:30 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 837 Posts
I am biased, but I am very pleased with the Pletscher mousetrap rack that has been on my UO-8 ever since I built it up for my wife more than 40 years ago. She got intimidated out of riding in traffic several years later, so I built her a mountain bike and took over the UO-8 as my commuter/beater/transporter.

I flattened an L-shaped reflector mount and put the brake mounting bolt through one hole and one of the Pletscher clamp bolts through the other, to eliminate the infamous downward slide problem.

Rigidity is no problem -- I have since added panniers and easily carry 20 to 30 lbs of groceries. As a UCLA student, I used to carry a stack of textbooks on a Pletscher rack. The main problem was bike frame flex (my first Capo, which had double-butted 531), rather than any flimsiness in the rack itself.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-31-18, 09:30 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Shimmy Shimmy, Shake Shake

"Certain bicycles are notorious for shimmy: one is the legendary Peugeot PX-10 road-racing bicycle. It is OK when used for its intended purpose, but it can develop a violent shimmy when carrying baggage on a rear rack: the luggage "anchors" the rear end of the bicycle, so twisting of the front triangle can more easily provide the spring restoring force for the mass of the front fork and wheel. Cyclists who opted for the high-end PX-10 and used it for bicycle touring often met with this problem. Less expensive Peugeot frames were much more suitable for touring."
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimmy.html

I came across this a while back. I'd attached a seatpost rack to my Maserati MT-1, (actually probably a Fiorelli/Coppi), as it's a great ride and, well, I like to sometimes pick up stuff while I'm out and tooling about. Bike was incredibly stable and it's faster than "all getout" (sans rack). So I've maybe ten pounds on the 2 lb rack and sit back with my hands off the bars, and the front sets in to wobbling. Hands on the bars dampens it and it is entirely stable. I research, as this has never happened before. In a parking lot later that night I take the bag off the rack, and no wobble. Bag on, wobble. Bag in backpack, no wobble.

I don't have a PX-10. I have no experience with a PX-10. (I am considering a locally offered Jeunet Reynolds 531 frame which is almost exactly a PX-10, (though I may toss it up on "Are You Looking For One...").)

My point is make sure your PX-10 is not susceptible to the wobble when it's racked. Try out anything on the back before you commit to a major investment on a rack?

Last edited by machinist42; 03-31-18 at 10:32 AM. Reason: parenthetical justification
Old 03-31-18, 09:55 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
you want this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/blackburn-r...iaaoswx9zauqtc

attaches to the brake bolt. Easily polished with mother's aluminum polish and looks correct for the age of the bike.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.