Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell Ross Signature Series 294S?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 04:58 PM
centurionfilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a Ross Signature Series 294S, Campy equipped, sew-up tires. Looks all original, in excellent condition.

In this forum I have seen ranges of $400-2,100 as a value for this bike. That valuation was 6 years ago. Perhaps the value has increased?

Despite this particular model being highly regarded, the bike is a Ross, thus not highly sought after. I do think that there is a buyer that would adore this bike and pay a premium price. The challenge is finding that buyer.

I would prefer to sell it in craigslist. However, due to the limited buyers standing in line for this bike, should I sell it on ebay? I have no experience selling on ebay, as I do not have an ebay account.
Old 12-21-11, 05:46 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Where are you located? I've had good luck selling complete bikes on craigslist for what I consider to be fair prices. Not everything sells for what I want, but most things do. And it's way better than the hassle of shipping, ebay fees, etc.

You won't have any luck selling a bike on ebay without plenty of good feedback. Since you don't have an account, that option is out unless you have a bunch of little stuff to sell first to build up a good reputation.
Old 12-21-11, 07:25 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
400-1200 for a Ross 294s is a crazy price. Considering the actual Kellogg builds are in the 6-800 range, I'd expect about 250-3 on a local Cl sale, even less, frankly. Maybe 400 tops on an ebay sale. The Ross name does hold the price down, but even the lower end of the 4-1200 price I'd expect more than the 294s offers. In the interest of full disclosure, I own three fairly high end Rosses, including a clean 294s, and I don't think they're worth anything close to that.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-21-11, 07:40 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Timing is of course everything... nice to know I'm at least somewhat consistent. I'd agree there is often confusion between the Kellogg built and Kellogg designed bikes.

Old 12-22-11, 08:00 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...I see Tmar's comment on the $400 to $2100 price estimate, maybe he will join in....
When I said, "The Ross Signature models could range anywhere from $400.00 - $2,100.00 US depending on the model", I was refering to the original suggested list price, not providing a valuation on a used bicycle. At that point in the particular thread, all we knew was that it was reportedly a Signature model with Campagnolo parts. There were no pictures and neither the model number, tubeset nor group had been determined. I went on to say, "To peg things down better, you need to know the tubing and Campagnolo group." Basically, I was telling the OP he could have anything from a low mid-range model to a very high end bicycle. The OP never replied with additional information, so I never did give a valuation.
Old 12-22-11, 10:52 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
IMHO the best place to sell it is probably at the bike swap meet held in central Pennsylvania every year, as it is close to where it was built and you don't have shipping as part of the price equation.
Old 12-22-11, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
...TMar's comment has been taken out of context those that hoped to have a rare, super valuable bike, as well as by me.

Its a shame that $400 to $2100 range from six years ago keeps popping back up.
I tried to go back and edit the post, to clarifies matters, but it's been closed and can't be edited.
Old 12-22-11, 05:49 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Well, it looks clear: $250 to $350. TMar's comment has been taken out of context those that hoped to have a rare, super valuable bike, as well as by me.

Its a shame that $400 to $2100 range from six years ago keeps popping back up.
In reading this thread, I went back and looked at the links you gave. Tmar's statements seemed to me to be about prices as new, but that may be because I have a passing familiarity with various Ross models, and one of my only real bike grails is a Kellogg built one.
I can certainly understand people wanting their bike to be worth a lot of kale. I've been guilty of it once or twice, I admit. But bikes in that range, especially in the upper range of that, are pretty few and far between. To add to the confusion, I checked on the bay, and among the few Rosses up for sale, two were from our friends at Budget Bicycle Center in Madison. As I'm sure our regulars can imagine, they were vastly overpriced. Anyone seeing those auctions might indeed think their Ross is worth quite a bit.

Old 12-22-11, 06:31 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
...Budget Bicycle Center in Madison. As I'm sure our regulars can imagine, they were vastly overpriced.
+100

Every single bike at "Budget" Bicycle Center in Madison is vastly overpriced. Took a walk through there once, almost wanted to scream before I left. These are not clean refurbished bikes. They are whatever came in, made decent enough to sell, then thrown on the floor. The prices they get are insane. Maybe that's why I'm so successful selling bikes in Madison, at realistic prices.
Old 12-22-11, 06:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I tried to go back and edit the post, to clarifies matters, but it's been closed and can't be edited.
link? Since it is causing problems, we can either hide the thread or substitute better wording on your post

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-22-11 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 07:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Thanks. I edited his post

It now says the following:
The Ross Signature models originally sold for anywhere from $400.00 - $2,100.00 US depending on the model. To peg things down better, you need to know the tubing and Campagnolo group.

moderator's note: the original price doesn't tell you much about their current valuation.
Old 12-22-11, 08:37 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

I'm glad you mods use your God like powers for good.

Believe it or not, years ago Budget Bicycle Center had fairly reasonable prices, and better selection. Strange,huh?

Old 12-23-11, 04:20 AM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
If you're not into the whole ebay thing, CL is where I'd go, or here maybe. True, there are probably not many people wading through CL looking for a Campy equipped Ross, but there definitely people looking for quality vintage road bikes. Photo and describe the bike well and those who know what to look for will find it.
Old 12-23-11, 07:15 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
I just visited Budget Bike Center a few weeks ago. Amazing place to visit, but your neck will be killing you within 10 minutes from looking up at the bikes on the ceiling. Generally speaking, their prices were unrealistic, and all over the map. A few were decently priced. I'd love to have it local to me so that I could pop in on a regular basis. They had a Grand Record for $1895 (NUTS!), and another for $485 (closer to reality, but it was rough and had a mixed bag of parts).

They also had a beautiful Mercier for $685 that was worth every penny. They have an off-the-charts cool Urago with Simplex Tour de France drivetrain. All original, and hard to price. If it were my size, I'd feel compelled to have it. It was priced at $1000, but was just raised to $3000. It's also listed on Ebay for $1749.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Urag...item43aa2b01ce

Although their pricing is a bit nuts, the clerk was very cool and I really enjoyed looking around. Could've spent another few hours there!
Old 12-26-11, 05:08 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the St Louis area. I have heard that about ebay and pay-pal taking 15% right off the top and also what you said about not being established, thus not getting maximum value for your product. Hmmm? I know a guy that sells some of his stuff through someone that has an established ebay account. That is an idea, to reach the broadest audience.

I am from Phoenix, AZ, and you do not see Ross bikes very much there. However, since I have been in the St Louis area, I have seen quite a few Ross bikes. Off topic, kind of, Raleigh's are also huge around here. So, maybe that buyer is in my area, that special Ross bike-lover, since it is a popular brand around here?
Old 12-26-11, 05:14 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a bit sacrilegious, and I am cringing slightly as I think this out, but would parting it out fetch more money? Probably not. And I am ashamed for even thinking this. It really is a clean bike. Then again, it does have sew-up tires and I would think this actually devalues the bike?
Old 12-26-11, 05:29 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the "real" signature bikes actually have Kellogg or Redcay written on the bike??? I think I did see one online with Redcay or Kellogg name signed on the chainstay, I believe.

Really is frustrating the way the manufacturers name models. I have a Raleigh Team Record that looks exactly like (paint scheme: red, black, yellow) the one that won the Tour de France in the 70's. My head was spinning try to find out valuation on that bike. I understand that they wanted to market to the masses, using the success of their winning bike, but it can be very confusing now.
Old 12-26-11, 05:36 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, Budget Bicycle is an oxymoron???
Sounds like it from your comments.
Old 12-26-11, 05:44 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think, perhaps, the reason your range of pricing sticks out is that it has more thoughtful, in-depth, reasoning behind the response. Some of the guesstimates are curt responses, seemingly thrown out on a whim. Some are literally a small, one sentence response with a number given.

In addition, it seems like you are a go-to guy on valuation?
Old 12-26-11, 05:48 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am leaning toward clist now and just being patient.

I know, I should post a photo. But I wasn't at home when I posted this thread, so I didn't have photos yet.
Old 12-26-11, 05:51 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for great feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-11, 06:24 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Originally Posted by centurionfilly
So the "real" signature bikes actually have Kellogg or Redcay written on the bike??? I think I did see one online with Redcay or Kellogg name signed on the chainstay, I believe.

Really is frustrating the way the manufacturers name models. I have a Raleigh Team Record that looks exactly like (paint scheme: red, black, yellow) the one that won the Tour de France in the 70's. My head was spinning try to find out valuation on that bike. I understand that they wanted to market to the masses, using the success of their winning bike, but it can be very confusing now.
Not quite. They're all signatures. Just a few of them were handbuilt by Kellogg and later Jim Redkay. The Kelloggs I've seen were Reynolds 531. There were some later bikes with Columbus tubing as well. All of the signatures, even the 29x models, are nice riding bikes. Nice riding, alas, does not equal high value-- otherwise Peugeot uo8s would be worth a million bucks.
As to parting out, I would think you could get a bit more. Campy Triomphe, though, was pretty much the bottom of the Campy line, and not worth a great deal compared to Nuovo or Super Record.

Old 01-03-12, 06:18 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess it is official. I would be lucky to get $400 for the bike, even on ebay. And that would be if I were established on ebay - which I am not. After ebay and pay pal take out 15% off the top, I may as well just sell it on clist. I am not prepared to part the bike out and go through all that, then have 15% taken off of parts.

Hello, craigslist, here I come....
Old 01-03-12, 06:25 PM
centurionfilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Poguemahone;13642540] Nice riding, alas, does not equal high value-- otherwise Peugeot uo8s would be worth a million bucks.

I had a Centurion Dave Scott Iron Man Expert, with Shimano 105. How would you compare/rate the Ross Signature Series 294S to my Centurion.

I may keep the bike, if you think it is a better bike than the Centurion. How did Shimano 105 compare to Campy Triomphe?
Old 01-03-12, 06:36 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Originally Posted by centurionfilly
I had a Centurion Dave Scott Iron Man Expert, with Shimano 105. How would you compare/rate the Ross Signature Series 294S to my Centurion.

I may keep the bike, if you think it is a better bike than the Centurion. How did Shimano 105 compare to Campy Triomphe?
You get to make that decision, based on what you like in a bike. Me, I'd likely take the Ross, but I'm likely in the minority on that one. The Centurion Ironmans are well thought of, and Ive had few in my hands and liked them. They were all too small and I had trouble getting my head around the Miami Vice paint schemes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.