Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Digital Gauges, Pumps, and Plus size Tire Pressure?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 06:22 AM
Reodoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Recently purchased a Trek Stache 7 and trying to find the balance between too much air, where I bounce around, and too little where I bottom out on the rim. Coming from road cycling, this is difficult to find.

I am looking for a combination hand-pump with a digital gauge I can take with me on the trails. My Floor pump is great but it stays at home and I am trying to experiment letting air out and back in while riding on trails. The meter I have now is not digital and I do not feel it gives me a good reading. This coupled with my hand pump becomes tedious. Sometimes I just go my feel but those are generally the times I bottom out.

Does anyone have any product suggestions, or simply, suggestions in general for someone trying to find their right tire pressure?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-17, 03:08 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Plus tire gauge/pump

Here is a SKS digital gauge with a 0-140 psi range and 0.5 psi resolution. It gets used on 27.5+ tubeless down to 10 psi. A Topeak mini-blaster pump fits in my hydration pack to compress tire air only. I ignore the gauge on the pump and use the SKS. Both are $20-25 each.

Figuring a best tire pressure for me is trial & error, and varies by terrain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0962.jpg (764.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by BarryVee; 10-13-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 03:49 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Hand Pumps - High Pressure - Digital Pressure Drive
Old 10-19-17, 06:32 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Reodoc
Does anyone have any product suggestions, or simply, suggestions in general for someone trying to find their right tire pressure?

Thanks!
I have found that my Stache is very sensitive to proper tire pressure. To little and the tire folds and to much and it rides hard. I find 13-13.5psi works great for my 180 pound body.
Old 10-19-17, 07:27 PM
Reodoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
I have found that my Stache is very sensitive to proper tire pressure. To little and the tire folds and to much and it rides hard. I find 13-13.5psi works great for my 180 pound body.
Thanks for the input. I can't seem to find the right pressure (let alone the right gauge, so I go by feel at the moment) so I am often hitting the rim since I am trying to find the lowest pressure I can run. Using my road floor pump I put them both around 18psi and it seemed okay, but I am also 190lbs. I think I would be bottoming out too often with 13psi. Yet, again, I have no real way of judging accurately what is in my tire.
Old 10-20-17, 06:37 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
At 13psi per the digital gauge that was posted above the tire will not feel super soft but will have some give when you squeeze it. I run carbon rims and no way would i be willing to suffer a rim strike
Old 10-27-17, 07:30 AM
Reodoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you guys fill up before every ride? I bought an analog "fat tire" gauge and it seems to always show my tire pressure at 10PSI, which is incorrect. I still bottom out and using "feel" to determine the right amount of air. I find myself often stopping to hand pump air into my tires.
Old 10-30-17, 12:47 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My tubeless seem to loose a couple pounds overnight. Gotta pump daily running nominal 16/17.5 psig f/r.
Old 10-31-17, 07:54 AM
Bikernator
Below Par

Bikes: '13 Trek Stache 8; '08 Giant Rincon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrain and riding style will have a significant impact.

I'm 205lbs, and if I go below 20 psi the front end gets pretty squirrely on fast, bumpy turns, and I can feel a bottom out now and again when I completely mis-judge something (even around 22-23 psi). My local trail is super rocky with some pretty fast, albeit short, downhill options. I also like to ride these sections pretty hard. It's fun.

Alternatively, I've had to run closer to 30 psi in New Mexico on a very rocky and super fast (for me) trail. On a '13 Stache 8.

I also tend to finish a ride with one pressure so as to get the 'average' feel over the entire trail, rather than airing up for one section only to prefer it lower for another.

Just my $0.02.