Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2020 Eroica California registration early rate

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2020 Eroica California registration early rate

Old 05-09-19, 11:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but for me, gravy =/= marinara.

Gravy takes a good portion of the day. Marinara is quick. Gravy is complex. Marinara is simple.

I'm not saying you can't have a good marinara, but it isn't the same as gravy.

I wasn't at Eroica and can't comment on what they used. But as you probably know, a great gravy can create a great meal.
Gravy must be an east coast/Chicago thing, since it's not an Italian word. Or maybe it's New Jersey leaking out into the world. My Zia Julia didn't call it gravy, just sauce, but I'd put it up against any thing you call gravy. She took all day to cook it.

But we digress, I'm not sure what they served at Eroica Cali was what you'd call Gravy. if you beg to differ, no problem. My locally appropriate Santa Maria tri-tip tacos were damn good.
Old 05-10-19, 10:56 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
g my locally appropriate santa maria tri-tip tacos were damn good.
yup
Old 05-10-19, 06:17 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Gravy must be an east coast/Chicago thing, since it's not an Italian word. Or maybe it's New Jersey leaking out into the world. My Zia Julia didn't call it gravy, just sauce, but I'd put it up against any thing you call gravy. She took all day to cook it.

But we digress, I'm not sure what they served at Eroica Cali was what you'd call Gravy. if you beg to differ, no problem. My locally appropriate Santa Maria tri-tip tacos were damn good.
Your tacos look great. And it could very well be a regional thing, calling a rich red sauce "gravy". Since I live in the burbs, not every place is gonna have the pork shoulder to make stock.

The digression is my point. I have seen many events degrade over time. In every case, the first thing to go is food quality. Usually it is somewhat subtle, but always the marker. Sounds like ECA went entirely out of bounds. That's unfortunate. Also, most events that went downhill sent out questionnaires asking how to improve. Although I doubt their sincerity. If you send the questionnaire, you know your event sucks, you know what brought them in in the first place, it ain't rocket science. I hope ECA improves next year, but in my experience, that is the exception and not the rule. Have a clear vision, execute it well. There will always be complainers, which will be inconsequential when most are well satisfied.
Old 05-10-19, 07:36 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I think this is an exceptional event. And I don't think EroicaCA went down hill. 2019 was a hiccup, they apologized and it will be sooooo awesome next year. I'm excited and planning: I think my Sunday bike is set. BUT, Do I ride my UberOS tigged fat tire road bike on Saturday, or keep things Eroica-like and equip a C&V with clipless, dual pivots, and indexed (not DT) shifting?
Old 05-10-19, 09:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but for me, gravy =/= marinara.

Gravy takes a good portion of the day. Marinara is quick. Gravy is complex. Marinara is simple.

I'm not saying you can't have a good marinara, but it isn't the same as gravy.

I wasn't at Eroica and can't comment on what they used. But as you probably know, a great gravy can create a great meal.
bottom line, Eroica looked like marinara to me
Old 05-11-19, 07:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
The digression is my point. I have seen many events degrade over time. In every case, the first thing to go is food quality. Usually it is somewhat subtle, but always the marker. Sounds like ECA went entirely out of bounds. That's unfortunate. Also, most events that went downhill sent out questionnaires asking how to improve. Although I doubt their sincerity. If you send the questionnaire, you know your event sucks, you know what brought them in in the first place, it ain't rocket science. I hope ECA improves next year, but in my experience, that is the exception and not the rule. Have a clear vision, execute it well. There will always be complainers, which will be inconsequential when most are well satisfied.
In my heart I know you're probably right. I hope you're wrong.

It's the old adage that it takes awhile to get a good reputation, but only a short time to ruin it. There will be a core group that will always return. I went for the first time 2 years ago because of what others on this forum said about it. Word of mouth is probably how others decide to do it as well.
Old 05-11-19, 07:59 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
In my heart I know you're probably right. I hope you're wrong.

It's the old adage that it takes awhile to get a good reputation, but only a short time to ruin it. There will be a core group that will always return. I went for the first time 2 years ago because of what others on this forum said about it. Word of mouth is probably how others decide to do it as well.
Gugie, I really want to stay optimistic about this event. The fact that the organizers took the time to contact us and solicit our feedback was a plus. As many have said , the event IS about us. WE make this event special and I plan to continue to support it! I was very disappointed in the way it played out in April , but had a great ride with my friend Rich (bikingshearer). I met a few of you guys and every year I meet a few more. I love the swap meet and always come away with some jewels that I didn't know I needed. The town of Cambria seems to be more receptive of our presence , and the Central Coast is fabulous. I think Bike Forums has been very instrumental in getting the word out. Hell yes I am signed up for next year!!! Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Rich and I on the way to the Lighthouse , courtesy of straightblok
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-11-19, 08:04 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
That email sounds very similar to the one sent a year ago after the first failed Dairyland Dare. The event was worse the following year. I hope the Eroica folks turn it around as it is/was a bucket list event for me, but will let someone else be the second test pancake...
Old 05-11-19, 08:32 AM
iab

I hope you're wrong.
So am I.
Old 05-11-19, 01:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I'd do the ride again if it were exactly like this year, because it's a great chance to meet a bunch of great people, the bikes will always be orgasmic, and the Central Coast of California is spectacular.
Old 05-11-19, 01:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

I have seen many events degrade over time. In every case, the first thing to go is food quality. Usually it is somewhat subtle, but always the marker.
Also, most events that went downhill sent out questionnaires asking how to improve.
This was a bucket list item for me too, and I said in my survey that I didn't give a damn about the food.

I don't think I ate any of the rest stop food except for some bread and olive oil. Spaghetti at the finish was fine and there was still free beer at 5:30. Then I got some nice deli food later.
Old 05-11-19, 02:27 PM
iab

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This was a bucket list item for me too, and I said in my survey that I didn't give a damn about the food.

I don't think I ate any of the rest stop food except for some bread and olive oil. Spaghetti at the finish was fine and there was still free beer at 5:30. Then I got some nice deli food later.
Why was it a bucket list item?
Old 05-11-19, 03:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Why was it a bucket list item?
It's not really my thing. I enjoyed doing it once, and it was to commemorate turning 60, so I wanted something challenging and memorable to do once. I brought bars and powders like any other century.
Old 05-11-19, 05:01 PM
iab

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It's not really my thing. I enjoyed doing it once, and it was to commemorate turning 60, so I wanted something challenging and memorable to do once. I brought bars and powders like any other century.
I understand those rides, they are the most common. I never get much out of them and only do them if a friend wants me to join or if it for a local charity where I know the folks running it. I'm not big on organized rides.

But if something is uncommon, it peaks my interest. It just needs to tick the boxes otherwise it's just another ride.
Old 05-11-19, 07:02 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 318 Posts
I didnt make it out this year as I had alot of other things interfering with the L Eroica date. Next year , I will be there for sure as I am a nut for old vintage metal. As far as the food goes, Like others have said already, food is no big deal to me so that aspect of the Ride hasnt discouraged me from attending.

The scenery and rustic roads alone are very appealing so next year is a Must Ride for this guy.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-11-19, 10:21 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I really want to do one, but I am not sure I am up to the task yet. The wine country tour really took all I had last year .
Old 05-19-19, 04:38 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I really want to do one, but I am not sure I am up to the task yet. The wine country tour really took all I had last year .
I trained about 6-7 months (lost time early in 2019 due to all the bad rainy weather) and did a modest amount of hill climbing work which gave me some confidence to tackle at least the <12% grades of the 75 mile Santa Lucia route. I rode at my own pace (slow!) on the climbs with finishing as my primary goal. That I took 11 hours with breaks to finish and needing to walk the last 2.5-3.0 miles of the Cypress climb told me I still had a lot more training to do. When I finished, I said to myself "that was the hardest thing physically I've done in my life" and was pretty much not going to do it again, nothing to prove.

Or so I thought. By 2 weeks out, I was already planning to go back, and my goal is to cut at least 1 hour or more off of my ride/saddle time. The challenge, the scenery, the sounds of the Santa Rita and Santa Rosa creeks, the people, the bikes, Cambria/Cayucos/San Simeon and the entire Central Coast are what will bring me back, even better prepared to achieve this goal. IMO, none of the issues raised with the event are insurmountable and with proper planning and execution, most are correctable. I hope to be part of the solution.

The key is to be ready by say January 2020, and maintain yourself during the winter months, depending on where you live and your options for hill training and of course having your bicycle ready. I hope you do decide to come out and enjoy the entire event, weekend, or if possible, like me, have a nice vacation and explore California, my home state. Even if you do the shorter ride, however they configure it next year, I hope you will find Eroica California 2020 an excellent event overall to attend and ride.
Old 05-21-19, 06:06 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
I've been to Eroica CA five years in a row, and it's been a great experience every time.
There have been wonderful people, amazing bikes, and beautiful routes each year.
The routes are challenging enough that deciding to participate has always helped me set training, weight, and equipment goals that begin long before the event (and last long after).
Signing up has also been medicinal at times. I had substantial injuries or surgery in 2014 and 2017 that could have greatly reduced my cycling the following year. Knowing I was signed up for Eroica was an extra motivator that got me back on the bike sooner, riding more miles, climbing more hills, and recovering faster for 2015 and 2018.
By bringing different bikes and choosing different routes, I've also learned LOTS more about vintage bikes and components, different era and country styles, and even single vs. tandem riding.
The rides are challenging enough that I learned more about gearing, and weight, and tires, and reliability of components, helping me become a better mechanic as well as a better rider.
And of course, one of the greatest joys has been reconnecting with old friends and making new ones each year.
Every Eroica CA edition has gone into life's storehouse of really memorable experiences, with ripples that expand ever outward.
I'm already signed up for 2020, and hope to see you there!
Old 05-21-19, 09:03 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
@davester, time to start planning that Marinica to Eroica ride...
I'm already registered and hard at work on planning. We need a catchy name. I momentarily thought "Marineroica" but that seems a bit lame, and a mouthful. Perhaps something on the order of "Gugie and Dave's Excellent Adventure", or "California Tour D'Eroica". Obviously more thought is needed.
Old 05-21-19, 09:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm already registered and hard at work on planning. We need a catchy name. I momentarily thought "Marineroica" but that seems a bit lame, and a mouthful. Perhaps something on the order of "Gugie and Dave's Excellent Adventure", or "California Tour D'Eroica". Obviously more thought is needed.
How about calling it "MarinErotica"? Completely inappropriate and completely inaccurate at the same time.
Old 05-21-19, 09:41 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
California CoastalRica? (depending on route)

Are you thinking mostly down Coastal Highway 1, or further inland?
Old 05-21-19, 11:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
How about calling it "MarinErotica"? Completely inappropriate and completely inaccurate at the same time.
Originally Posted by DMNHCAGrandPrix
California CoastalRica? (depending on route)

Are you thinking mostly down Coastal Highway 1, or further inland?
Lessee, my first Eroica I took the Magic Bus with a few friends. Last year we just rented out il Palazzo degli Eroi. Earlier this year was The Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley, and a What Could Possibly Go Wrong quickie Bay Area run. All this goes to show that a good name is important.

Right now I'm thinking Davester and Gugie's Eroica Adventure...let it percolate.

I'm in too many boring Skype meetings at work that I just wait around waiting for my name to be called, so I came up with this strawman. Starts in Nicasio, just to have somewhere to start from, but Dave can figger that out. Sunday we finish Marinica and ride into SF, maybe crash somewhere. Maybe we stay on the Marin side, no matter, but the next day is Costanoa tents, which I've done before. From there it's Pacific Grove or thereabouts, then Big Sur or Lucia. I'm hearby pimping a credit card tour, fleabag hotels except for whatever grand palace we can AirBnB in Cambria.

I'm imaging a few riding down from Marin, pick up some people's in SF, the Peninsula, Santa Cruz, wherever people are coming from, and the train gets bigger and stronger along the way. For those that might see this as a bit too much to bite off, two people, two bikes, and a car, switch off and each rides halfway each day.

Discuss.
Old 05-21-19, 11:48 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Awesome! The planning's almost done already. Unless we severely shorten Marinica (which is around 70 hilly miles), I can't see riding into SF on the same day because that would probably put us over 100...not a good way to start a weeklong tour. Therefore an overnight in Marin is pretty certain. San Rafael to Pescadero (Costanoa) is pretty doable...70 miles, 4,000 feet.
Old 05-22-19, 11:04 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Awesome! The planning's almost done already. Unless we severely shorten Marinica (which is around 70 hilly miles), I can't see riding into SF on the same day because that would probably put us over 100...not a good way to start a weeklong tour. Therefore an overnight in Marin is pretty certain. San Rafael to Pescadero (Costanoa) is pretty doable...70 miles, 4,000 feet.
I like it! Never too early to start pimping a big ride. I've updated the route with your suggestion. From Nicasio to Cambria I've got 283 miles, San Rafael knocks about 13 off, so cal it 270 miles. 270/4 averages 68 miles/day, hilly, and would get us into Cambria on Thursday. Perhaps a better plan is to add another overnight stop around Redwood City and pull into Cambria on Friday. Once we get down Hwy 1 overnight options are limited.

At any rate, I put up the route as a strawman. I don't want to be on Hwy 1 above Half Moon Bay due to traffic - I used to live in Redwood City and rode over to the coast up and down all the major climbs, Kings Mountain is a tough climb, with the advantage that it crosses Skyline and becomes Tunitas Creek Rd - my favorite road going down to the coast off of Skyline, with the added benefit of going right by the Bike Hut - a must stop! I also routed us off of Hwy 1 until just before Costanoa for varietey - we'll have the Pacific Ocean hard to our right much of the rest of the way.
Old 05-22-19, 11:13 PM
davester

I think the additional day as you suggest, with arrival on Friday, is a must. Otherwise we'll drive folks away with the high mileage/climbing demands. My experience is that on any tour you want to build in flex time and room for both short and long days. Time to block out some vacation days almost a year ahead of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.