Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help - Road wheels question!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 02:23 PM
heatrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys, since the last few days ive been thinking alot in a simple but hard question, that id like you to help me..

Im thinking about buying a wheelset with some following requirements:

Preferably tubular;

Carbon or alloy, well id really prefer carbon;

Shimano compatible;

My racing style is more like a climber/TT, but.. I dont really want some wheels for any special use, I mean, Id like to have a wheelset for both climbing and flat races, besides they shouldnt be sprint wheels. Im Junior(17-18) atm, and my races are usually not so hard in climbs, but well, sometimes they appear, and when they do, the differences are made, and the wheels are very important in these races. So im more like buying some climbing wheels but not so "pure" climbing wheels.. id like some wheels for all terrain .. Atm I have Mavic Ksyrium Elites..They'r very good imo but id like a new upgrade.

So id like your opinion, ive readed alot of discussions about 38mm / 50mm wheels and people says 38mm are good in all terrain, although they say id benefit more from the aerodynamic from 50mm,not so good in climbing aswell, and theyr heavier overall..really hard to choose atm! About prices, im thinking about spending like 600-800(US $)..

Thanks in advance for any helps.

Regards
Old 10-31-09, 02:45 PM
Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I dont understand too much about wheels, and so im gonna leave the serious opinions for someone who understands, but im gonna say my opinion..

about wich wheels u should buy, idk, but im gonna be honnest, i prefer the look of 45-50mm wheels, although 38mm wheels are also very cool and much probably better for climbing, if thats ur priority, but since u want some wheels for ALL that can come in a race, i think usually 45-50mm wheels is a "all can do wheels" cus they have both aerodynamic and good weight (if carbon made and good wheels), but offcourse, if u pick a 50mm wheels ur gonna have advantage in all the terrain, and with a 38mm i think ur gonna be a almost pure climber, althought they usually do good on the flats. I dont think u should benefit much from the weight between 38mm and 50mm, cus for example, it will usually only be a difference of 150-200g and i think thats not the a big difference overall.. or is it?

thats my opinion, thanks for someone who can say better than me
Old 10-31-09, 04:03 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
200 grams is not that big of a deal if you don't already know what you want. There is way more potential to increase skill than anything 100-200 grams would do. But it is in that 6-8 oz range difference.
Old 10-31-09, 04:14 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
For your price range, you could get a set of Neuvation 50mm tubulars, $600 and ~1500 grams which are most likely lighter than your current wheels.
Old 10-31-09, 05:20 PM
bretthammy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this from Psimet. 50mm carbon tubs from $799 and they will be hand built, seems like it would be great for your price range and needs.