Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Gears: How many do you think you need?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Gears: How many do you think you need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 05:02 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can definately understand riders using a 50 in combination with a 12-28 cassette for everything but steep hills. A couple of the grandpa's I ride with certainly do that. I know the Mrs. Fred's shift point with a 34/50 12-25 at 90rpm is right at 27kph. Unfortunately that's right in the middle of our cruising range. Subsequently, she performs a lot more left/front shifts with her new compact cranks than she ever did with her triples. With the triple she spent the vast majority of her time in the middle ring. Reserving the granny and big ring for steep hills, either up or down, respectively.
Old 06-11-12, 05:36 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I've upgraded both my bikes to 3X9 with close ratio cassettes. one a 12-23 & the other 12-25.
My chain rings are 22-32-36/38.
I pretty much ride them as a 1x9, using the middle ring.
However, I have used the granny in severe headwinds and the larger if I'm out of the urban areas where i can ride a few miles without stop signs etc. (better chainline)
With my emphysema, I can dial in the exact gear I need that works within my narrow (80-85 because of bad knees) cadence range.
If the head/tail wind changes a couple MPH, I can shift one tooth and still spin away with the SAME EFFORT.
I pretty much use the analogy of a semi truck. The engine runs in a relatively narrow range of power output/RPM and they use the gear they need to keep it there.

If you like fewer gears, use them. If you like more, that's fine too. Everybody has different needs/knowledge of what works for them.
This is where I'm headed with my bike. I can't stand large jumps between gears but I also need a wide range of gearing options for wind and hills. Therefore, I'm pretty much stuck with a triple. 99% of my riding will be done with a 34 or 36 tooth chainring and a 12-23 9-speed cassette. If I only ride my bike in the neighborhood and around the local 10-mile bike path, those 9 gears are all I'll ever need. If I plan to ride anywhere else (and I do) I need a granny ring and will greatly appreciate a larger ring. I might be able to get by with something like a 36-24 cransket but I think if I continue to ride regularly, I'll spin that 36 out too often.
Old 06-11-12, 06:39 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I want something a bit different than I currently have on my Madone with its compact double.

I'd like a gear or two that are lower. I did a hill a couple of weeks ago I barely crested and in the easiest gear I was barely able to turn the pedals and weave myself back and forth up the hill. My legs were not happy for a few miles afterwards. I could even lose a bit of the top end for a lower gear.

I also am not totally thrilled with the compact double. I keep shifting the front derailleur to find a gear I don't have. Assuming no cross chaining, the hardest gear on the rear combined with the small chain ring on the front may be too easy but the easiest gear on the rear combined with the big ring is too hard. I'm looking for a sweet spot that doesn't exist so I end up flirting with cross chaining a lot, trying to trim my rear derailleur to squeeze out another gear.
Old 06-11-12, 06:42 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I myself could probably get away with a 39 in the front and a 14/25 cassette in the back. 7 speed cassettes were more than good enough for me.

I've done 12,000 ft climbs on a 12/25 and while riding the flats, I can hold 22 mph on a 39/14. I rarely touch the big ring on my roadies unless I'm descending a mtn road.
Old 06-11-12, 07:31 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I live in the flat lands and haven't used the front derailleur in 4,500 miles. I'd be happy with just 5 on the rear.
Old 06-11-12, 07:40 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When I am in flat areas I never use the big ring. On the rollers where I am now I find myself shifting in and out of the big ring quite a bit, that is what I am finding pesky.
Old 06-11-12, 07:47 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
When I am in flat areas I never use the big ring. On the rollers where I am now I find myself shifting in and out of the big ring quite a bit, that is what I am finding pesky.
compact or triple?
Old 06-11-12, 07:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I myself could probably get away with a 39 in the front and a 14/25 cassette in the back. 7 speed cassettes were more than good enough for me.

I've done 12,000 ft climbs on a 12/25 and while riding the flats, I can hold 22 mph on a 39/14. I rarely touch the big ring on my roadies unless I'm descending a mtn road.
Dude, that's 100 rpm... do you seriously cruise along at 100 rpm? I seem to gravitate to about 85 and if I'm feeling good, maybe up to 95 for sustained periods of time, but over 100 isn't really that pleasant for any length of time unless I'm really, really trying to hammer it.
Old 06-11-12, 08:04 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Dude, that's 100 rpm... do you seriously cruise along at 100 rpm? I seem to gravitate to about 85 and if I'm feeling good, maybe up to 95 for sustained periods of time, but over 100 isn't really that pleasant for any length of time unless I'm really, really trying to hammer it.
100+ for extended periods isn't difficult, if you train your legs for it. My average on some of my 50-80km rides has been into the mid 80's. To achieve that, I'm spending plenty of extended periods at 100 or greater. 110 seems to be around my current "usable" redline. A while back I was replying to one of the threads about cadences and such, so, just to make sure I wasn't spouting off, I went out and spun 170 during my warm up for a ride. I can break 180 on the trainer. And all this with the 180mm cranks, that supposedly prohibit spinning.

I believe a "climber" like Beanz wouldn't have any problem maintaining a hundy cadence.
Old 06-11-12, 08:17 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am always shifting to try and find "the one gear" I need at the moment.

I run Campy 2x11 so have 22 options. I don't think I need more but would not be in hurry to have less
Old 06-11-12, 08:18 PM
davestv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like one gear fixed riding. If I ride a geared bike, I probably don't use more than 3 gears. It's my opinion that the majority of bike owners, probably not the ones on this forum, but the owners that are able to get their bikes out a two or three times a year, would probably find a 3 speed more than enough.
Old 06-11-12, 08:34 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This entire "how many gears is neccessary" question is even more interesting when you start looking at some of the internally geared rear hubs that are either already available, or, in the pipeline.

Pair an 11 speed shimano alfine with a single front via belt drive. With the exception of road racing, that could cover the vast majority of recreational riders needs. Throw a chain on it, so that you can run a double front and you've got steep mountain terrain covered.

Does anyone know the actually efficiency of an internal alfine versus traditional cogs and derailleur?

Last edited by bigfred; 06-11-12 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 08:37 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
compact or triple?
Compact.
Old 06-11-12, 09:02 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Why on earth would you assume that?

You only NEED one gear. The rest are just gravy. On my derailleured bikes, I seldom shift out of the big chainring; only the very steepest hills. Granted, I'm not cross-country touring, and don't live in the Rockies, but there are some decent hills around here. I can climb almost all of them in the big chainring. I have a fixed gear bike with 46-18 gearing and there are only three hills around here I can't get up with it.
Good for you. I have 3 hills on a homebound commute that I struggle on in my 39-27. Two other local hills I barely can budge the pedals standing, cadence < 40rpm. And there are some local hills that I can't get the pedals to turn at all.
On flat terrain, I "spin out" at about 9mph in that gear. I don't consider riding faster than 9mph on flat land as "gravy". My stiff knee just can't make circles any faster.

Back to preferences. One of my bikes has 53-39 front, 11-28 back. I like it. I use all the gears on every ride [except cross-chaining]. I can find the exact gearing that is not too easy and not too hard. Anything that I can't do in the 39-28 combo I would probably just tip over from going so slow anyhow. I could probably lose a couple of gears in the middle of the range if I had to but don't see why.

Last edited by nkfrench; 06-11-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 09:54 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Our tandem has 40 gears. My single has 20 gears. I would say 20, 40 or somewhere in between should work just fine.
Old 06-11-12, 10:12 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a bike with a triple + 9 speed rear cog. I almost never used the middle ring and found the whole setup to be far more pesky and troublesome than I wanted it to be. Now I ride a compact double with 11-28 ten speed rear cog. I shift between the big and little ring quite often but I usually only use the biggest 2-3 and smallest 2-3 gears of the rear cog. I could probably do without a few of the gears in the middle, but they are nice to have. The only thing I'd change is as I get stronger maybe get a tighter range cog like a 12-25 or something.
Old 06-11-12, 10:54 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't use a meter but most the riders I ride with will comment on my high cadence on SART. Most of the times I've posted on Strava (SART/Northbound bridge to bridge) are in the small 39 ring.

I do hold that gear for the entire 12 mile return.

This segment on Saturday was in my small ring (39/14) ave 20.6 for the 7.4 mile segment.

https://app.strava.com/rides/10454568#183496429

Hillbasher and I did a ride on SGRT a couple years back. From Encanto Park to Liberty Park and back. On the way there he said, "you can't tell me that you'r e going to spin that low gear all the way to the park". Well I did!

I spin a lot, probably a good reason of why I have such low wattage power outputs on Strava .
Old 06-11-12, 11:11 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 30. 3x10. 24/36/48 with 11-34.

24 ring: I use 8 of these. All but the highest 2. When doing hills or a 20+ mph headwind day, this ring is a godsend.
36 ring: I use all 10 of these. Minor hills at the bottom gear and flats to the top. 60% of the time I'm in this ring.
48 ring: the least used ring. Probably 6/10. Descents and tailwinds, mostly. Deliberately used a higher ring than my current skill level because I intend to grow into it.

So I use 24/30. Not bad. Probably would use 26 max to avoid cross chaining. I love gears. The more the better. Looking forward to 33 or maybe even 36 one day.
Old 06-11-12, 11:21 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This thread reminds me of a rider I once encountered. I passed him on the trail. He hopped on my wheel then later thanked me for the pull. Then he said he couldn't do my pace because he had a 50 ring and not a 53 like mine. Uhh ok I told him, but what does that have to do with anything when I'm spinning my 39?
Old 06-11-12, 11:38 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred

Does anyone know the actually efficiency of an internal alfine versus traditional cogs and derailleur?
No. Not that I use an Alfine, but I do have.a Rohloff. I suspect some loss of efficiency, but that's a guess. Another guess is that it is small (I can't really notice it) and may be offset by the fact that the chain line is perfect and the gears equally spaced, so one is never shifting between chainrings looking for the "right" gear.
Old 06-12-12, 12:51 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I spin a lot, probably a good reason of why I have such low wattage power outputs on Strava .
False! The only thing strava knows is the incline (which is frequently gets wrong), your weight and how fast you're going. Power = Force * Time so less force applied more often is the same as more force applied less often.

I never bother to figure out which cog I'm in... I usually know approximately where I am but they're so tiny these days! I am rarely out of the big ring, although I've thought about changing my habits. I shrank the small ring to a 36 so it's less appealing now.
Old 06-12-12, 05:28 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I agree, I tend to use two gears the whole ride..one zoned in for my preferred cadence and one for overdrive, three and possibly a fourth if there's a climb. I stand if I need more leverage. But, my TriCross build has 30 gears, the issue for me on a brevet style bike is simply having the ... right gear.
Old 06-12-12, 06:44 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
That's not true, actually. If you look at the best climbers, they are mostly anything but muscular. They are skinny little guys (and gals) who weigh about 130lbs when wringing wet. What matters when climbing is not muscle, but weight, and aerobic fitness. And gears.
Sorry but muscle is part of the equation. I ride with those skinny 130lb riders and take them on the hills, it's all related to power to weight and you can't have power without strength,maybe not huge bulging muscles but strength.
Old 06-12-12, 05:35 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is odd to me, not from a I don't believe it standpoint at all, it's just so different from my experience. I ride in the big chainring (50) almost all the time with a rear of 11-28. I only shift to the small when I get to about two gwears from the largest sprocket on the back (so I don't cross chain)

And I pretty much stay there all the way up a hill then shift back to the large chain ring....am I doing this incorrectly?
Old 06-12-12, 05:41 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
False! The only thing strava knows is the incline (which is frequently gets wrong), your weight and how fast you're going.
I knew that, I was pretty much kidding. That's the reason strava asks for weight. ...but I do find it funny that I have never snapped a chain, bent a chainring etc. A frame or two but never a chain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.