Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling is the new ... ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling is the new ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 02:48 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Cycling is the new ... ?

Golf, according to Money: Cycling is the new golf for entrepreneurs - Apr. 29, 2014
Old 04-29-14, 02:53 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Golf, according to The Economist: Cycling is the new golf - Apr. 26, 2013

NY Times also ran a similar article back in April of 2005. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/fa...anted=all&_r=0
Old 04-29-14, 03:03 PM
dralways

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simply awesome.

So the more I ride, the more successful I become and the more successful I become, the less fat I become right? I think that's the right order...
Old 04-29-14, 03:49 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Overweight, middle-aged people obsessively spending too much of their disposable (and some indisposable) income and time on toys made of exotic space age materials.

I'll buy it.
Old 04-29-14, 03:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Overweight, middle-aged people obsessively spending too much of their disposable (and some indisposable) income and time on toys made of exotic space age materials.

I'll buy it.
Did you read the article?
Old 04-29-14, 04:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ugh. The last thing I want to talk about on a ride is work.
Old 04-29-14, 06:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Did you read the article?
Well now that I have, I haven't seen anything to contradict my original statement.
Old 04-29-14, 06:42 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black.
Old 04-29-14, 06:56 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
This is another reason for me to avoid group rides.
Old 04-29-14, 07:04 PM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-29-14, 07:05 PM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Ugh. The last thing I want to talk about on a ride is work.
Seriously. F that.
Old 04-29-14, 07:06 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts

I'll buy it.
Careful, your prejudices are showing.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-29-14, 07:07 PM
Leinster

Originally Posted by bbbean
Careful, your prejudices are showing.
Dammit, they promised me the black shorts would hide those.
Old 04-29-14, 07:22 PM
Weatherby

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Encouraging. Cyclists are far more pretentious and elitist than golfers.

"Unlike golf, cycling is also a great equalizer," said Andy Clarke, president of the League of American Bicyclists. "You're the same as the person riding next to you. So it makes people more approachable. "
The premise of the article faulty. Any golfer can play and successfully compete against one another. I'm a plus 2 Hcp and any hacker can have a game with me. On the road, I am a hacker and I have no way to do a training ride with a Cat 2 let alone a Cat 1. Take it down about 10 levels to the snotty B level club rides and think about how the welcome a beginning cyclist would receive showing up in gym shorts and sneakers, unless of course it was Freddy Hoffman and the poseurs couldn't hold his wheel.

Cycling is not the next golf.

No comparison on so many levels.
Old 04-29-14, 09:28 PM
Leinster

Originally Posted by Weatherby

The premise of the article faulty. Any golfer can play and successfully compete against one another. I'm a plus 2 Hcp and any hacker can have a game with me. On the road, I am a hacker and I have no way to do a training ride with a Cat 2 let alone a Cat 1. Take it down about 10 levels to the snotty B level club rides and think about how the welcome a beginning cyclist would receive showing up in gym shorts and sneakers, unless of course it was Freddy Hoffman and the poseurs couldn't hold his wheel.

All of this. A single handicapper and a 32 handicapper go out for 9 holes and they'll both finish at the same time. If a cat 1 and a social rider finish a 25 miler at the same time, one, other or both of them haven't enjoyed themselves.
Old 04-30-14, 06:29 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Cycling is older than the game of golf?? Is that new?
Old 04-30-14, 06:44 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Your analogy doesn't register for me. Can a hacker play on a major PGA Tour?

The article isn't about competing on a professional or high level. It's about getting people to show up for a two hour ride and maybe network. I don't see anywhere where it says a beginning competes in a race with a Cat 1 or 2.
Old 04-30-14, 07:05 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
All of this. A single handicapper and a 32 handicapper go out for 9 holes and they'll both finish at the same time. If a cat 1 and a social rider finish a 25 miler at the same time, one, other or both of them haven't enjoyed themselves.
I can pretty much assure you neither the single handicapper or the 32 enjoyed themselves.
Old 04-30-14, 08:05 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I like to joke that: With us retired seniors... cycling has replaced bowling in popularity. And it some ways... I think my humor may be mathematically correct.

Golf continues to be a great way to waste away a beautiful morning or afternoon. And for mature people golf is a workout. X-Gens play golf too! Just not with the same general passion and commitment [or in the same numbers] as their parents. However the popularity of golf with Millennials (AKA the Millennial Generation) is near null, and when boomers die off golf may have to reinvent itself to compete with other sports. But right now, this year, this season golf remains popular and with a loyal following.

But bowling seems to have fallen victim to public smoking and drinking laws... as well as health concerns. Publicly drinking beer, eating hot dogs and smoking cigars was a lot of fun at one time. But people... particularly health minded older people have a desire for a more aerobic activity. Even spin classes are popular. But add the fresh air and wind in the face of a real bicycle ride... and that is pure pleasure.

The stats I've seen... shows cycling has actually dropped in numbers in the last couple of years. And the LBS's around here seem to attest to that. But it isn't that way everywhere. I think once the economy picks up again... so will cycling's sales.
Old 04-30-14, 08:18 AM
Urymoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes it is. It is because i work in the finance industry and ive seen it. All bankers and traders wanna do is cycle. Its for sure the new golf.
entire trading desks are hired based on wether or not guys cycle (slight exaggeration, but true)

the context here is that its the economist, so it applies to business
Old 04-30-14, 08:18 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If gas keeps going up we may see more cyclist again. Thats how the boom a few years ago happened. Not only that but a large portion of the US population is reaching a certain age which brings both more free time and possibly health concerns. Alot of those people will just find a pill to take but a small portion will find something like cycling.
Old 04-30-14, 08:40 AM
heffdiddy

Bikes: KOMobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to play a lot of golf (over 100 rounds a year). A lot of client golf. But now you can't get anyone out for 4-6 hours. It is almost impossible to get people out of the office in the middle of the day for that long.

I only play golf a handful of times a year now. Anytime I am on the course now, I am wishing I was riding. Plus I can spend two hours riding and have a good ride and time outside, compared to the 4-6 hours it takes to play golf. Anyone who is better than average at golf and says playing with a 32 handicap is fun is just flat lying.
Old 04-30-14, 08:43 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
If the course is empty you can get in a round of golf in about an hour. Back in my college days I used to get out of school at noon and play 3 or 4 rounds of golf.
Old 04-30-14, 08:48 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Putt-putt doesn't count
Old 04-30-14, 08:52 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There goes the neighborhood!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.