Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the Sram Hierarchy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 05:23 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I know the hierarchy for the Shimano, however, some bikes use Sram, when I searched for the hierarchy it shows X-3,X-4, etc. When I look at the specs for the bikes, the group set is usually Sram SX Eagle. Where does the SX Eagle fall on the hierarchy?
Old 09-10-19, 07:06 PM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Wouldn't it be great if SRAM published that information? I mean, like if it was easily accessible to anyone with a computer. That would be so cool.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/series
Where does the SX eagle fall in the Shimano lineup?

Last edited by Alphonsus; 09-10-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 07:46 PM
Alphonsus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it is Sram, but I meant as in the quality, is the SX Eagle match the Altus? Acera? Alivio? Deore? I'm new to knowing about individual bike components and how they are better or worse compared to other brands or levels
Old 09-10-19, 08:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
The people who name sram mtb components need to be kicked and fired. What a confusing designation hierarchy.
Too many with 'X' in the name...which is all of them.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-10-19, 09:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't know why some people think making the OP sound like he's asking a stupid question when he's not is a clever thing to do, but it's basically a jerk move.

The question is whether the various levels of the SRAM mtb components are rough equivalents of the levels of Shimano and, if so, which SRAM level lines up with which Shimano level. I'd try to answer the question if I could, but I don't know SRAM stuff enough to do so. Pointing to the SRAM website is definitely not helpful because it's probably the last place that would make the comparison.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-10-19, 10:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SRAM have taken a different tack than Shimano. They’ve put all the most important features of Eagle 12 speed into cheaper levels. SX fills the gap left when NX became NX Eagle and got more expensive. SX is monstrously heavy compared with XX1, which has a really fancy cassette, a carbon fiber crank, and some other nicer features. But they’re both 1x12 and can go on the same bike with nearly the same range. Shimano still insists on debilitating their Deore group with unwanted 2x10 speed, only recently brought a similar range to the top 3 groups (meanwhile ending M7000 which was great), and has no further 1x options lower.

the group set is also not the first place to look for weight loss. You can save like a pound there, but it’s the big parts that have the big weights.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-10-19 at 10:12 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-11-19, 07:15 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
It only takes about 30 seconds to get an answer if you google on "sram bike parts hierarchy". For road components this one covers SRAM, Shimano, and Campy: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...s-guide-142789 If you want MTB groupsets try the other sources.
Old 09-11-19, 10:38 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphonsus
I know it is Sram, but I meant as in the quality, is the SX Eagle match the Altus? Acera? Alivio? Deore? I'm new to knowing about individual bike components and how they are better or worse compared to other brands or levels
Which is more reliable, Ford or Chevy? Cross-brand comparisons are far from an exact science. I also think that the brands tend to avoid having any of their groupsets line up exactly the same as a competitors for this reason. You always want to have a selling point or two for your components in a given price range so that the marketing guys have something to work with.
Old 09-11-19, 12:32 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I don't think that the OP is too off base with their question. Myself, I've always had trouble following the SRam hierarchy and thus keep with Shimano.

With Shimano though, 1### (low end) to 9### (high end) is simple enough to follow without worrying about the name of the specific line. With their mountain bike line, it used to be 1## to 9## but they've brought it into 4 digits to be in line with road component part numbering.