Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Is this the real issue?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Is this the real issue?

Old 09-09-19, 12:02 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Is this the real issue?

Is the real issue with the Workd today, too much stuff being manufactured?

I can’t help but think that too much stuff is being made, and most of it is destined for the dump in under a year.

I lived very car minimally for the last 4 years compared to everyone that I know. And I love to drive, for fun...

But about 3 years ago I stopped buying stuff, “stuff”. Stuff that looks neat or whatever junk in the store on sale. I sometimes wait over a year before I decide to actually purchase something, and I pretty much only buy high end items now.

I can afford to buy “expensive” shoes that cost over $100?! (that’s what my relatives say)... but I save thousands by not buying other trinkets that are shipped by the ton from overseas...

I also pressured my wife to slim down on a lot of her stuff and not replace it, but she seems addicted to buying. But in the past year or so she’s finally slowed herself down and she too, has started carefully planning purchases if she must buy.

I also don’t make a good living at all. My income sucks. But I end up with nicer, longer lasting equipment and ultimately spend less.
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
The "real issue" it would seem to me, is the "keeping up with the Jones's"... IMO...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 09-12-19, 04:53 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I would agree with the "keeping up with the Jones's", there is very little doubt that people are competing to win a game where there is no actual winner, just a bunch of broke people.
Likes For wsgts:
Old 09-14-19, 02:53 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Sometimes it’s about how you use stuff.
E.g. a cheap shirt on itself might not always be warm, but it may well be just fine when you apply a layering system

And, often new stuff is simply old stuff with a new color / appearance. No need to go expensive every time.
Old 09-14-19, 06:56 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
People convince themselves they need stuff, often stuff that they really don't. I wonder if that's related to an upbringing of reward by material goods.
Old 09-15-19, 06:45 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
People convince themselves they need stuff, often stuff that they really don't. I wonder if that's related to an upbringing of reward by material goods.
I heard someone (Brian Tracy maybe) say that it's a reward loop created when we were children around candy. We get money from parents/grandparents and the first thing we want to do is buy candy, which creates the reward loop. Get money, buy candy, repeat.
Old 09-19-19, 09:30 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's funny, as I've gotten older, I "want" stuff less. It's hard now to come up with birthday suggestions - I usually ask folks to donate to animal rescues. Being retired means I don't need stuff to go to work, which really reduced the amount of "stuff" I wanted or needed. I've always bought quality over quantity so my "stuff" has lasted a long time. I think as you get older you realize "stuff" is mostly an encumbrance. What matters are experiences and relationships. I'd much rather go "do" something than buy something now. Memories last forever.
Old 09-25-19, 10:59 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
It's partly marketing by businesses. They need to continuously sell goods and services to stay in business, but we in the west live in an affluent society where most people's basic needs are met, so they have to continuously convince you to spend money on stuff you don't actually need. So they use all the psychological tools at their disposal to get you to feel like you need lattes, or manicures, or figurines, or wealth management or a Range Rover or whatever, in order to be happy.
Old 09-25-19, 07:15 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Access to credit, replaceable commodities, throw away culture, immediate gratification, materialism, consumerism, etc, etc. This all contributes to how people perceive goods and services.

Hopefully, people can work on dealing with slightly less, recycling, and being responsible for their actions and behaviors to curb the overall impact.