Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wipperman Connex quick link?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 03:31 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I have always used these on my chains. They work so well and easy I have one for my 10 spd 6700 drivetrain and for the 11 speed 6800. My question is about reusing them for two chains. I like them because I can take chain off and drop in OMS and clean easy put back on. It also make cleaning bike easier. Now the Shimano Ultegra chains come with a quick link but I don't like them all that much. They claim they are not suppose to really come apart and reuse. I just put an new chain on the bike had 5500 miles on it with not a lot of wear less than 1/16. I am easy on drivetrains. Well I would like to simply reuse the Wipperman from the wore chain. What do you think of that? The Shimano ones look a bit more complicated and not so easy to take off and on if you are even suppose to do that? I could buy a new wipperman but they cost a penny and seems like I could use this one through the life of the new chain?

What do you think, use the Shimano quick link, use the old wipperman, and I live in the flatlands of Illinois no hills only wind so not the wear and I do not purposely ride in the rain.
Old 07-21-19, 05:50 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I consider the "do not reuse" instruction to mean "use on a single chain and discard" when that chain is worn out. The per-mile cost of the quick link is negligible IMO.