Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding after rectal cancer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 09:40 AM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Is there anyone here who resumed riding after a total mesorectal excision? I'm in line for a TME, and the surgeon says I might not be able to ride again. Bad enough I'm losing the operative parts of my butt, but not to be able to ride? Anyway, if you have such experience, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 10-08-19, 10:55 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Sounds like a tough one there. Hang in there.
Old 10-09-19, 10:17 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Perhaps you can find a surgeon who also rides, he/she should be able to give you good advice on your prognosis.
Good luck
Old 10-09-19, 11:41 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You might also try the Richmond Area Bicycling Association or the Richmond Cycling Corps and see what you find. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-10-19, 08:46 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
A friend but she doesn't ride bikes, before or after. As her kid says, she kicked cancer's butt.

And a friend of a friend. Ezra Caldwell, of Fast Boy Cycles. He continued to ride bikes. When his doc told him he couldn't sit on a bike saddle he built a bike without a saddle. The ___less. Then when the doc let him back onto the saddle, the Hard___. His last build was the UTA, the Ultimate Tight ___. (Ezra left a blog, teaching cancer to cry. Just letting you know.)

Ask your doc about recumbents, EliptiGO, even kick scooters. But remember you can also ask your bike to wait for you.

Also consider reaching out to people who bike who have gone through similar-ish treatments.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-10-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-10-19, 09:56 AM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Keep'em coming, please.
Old 10-10-19, 10:15 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Tadpole recumbent
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 10-10-19, 02:41 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I would also suggest a recumbent. If you don't want to go with a trike, there are plenty of good 2 wheel bents out there as well. Lots more variety in bents than in uprights. (Tiller steering, underseat steering, multiple wheel sizes and geometries.)
Old 10-13-19, 03:29 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by harlond
Is there anyone here who resumed riding after a total mesorectal excision? I'm in line for a TME, and the surgeon says I might not be able to ride again. Bad enough I'm losing the operative parts of my butt, but not to be able to ride? Anyway, if you have such experience, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
I picked up a shattered pelvis a few decades back, long before I returned to cycling as my primary transportation. There's a Brooks B67 high on my wish list. I have enough internals that aren't lined up exactly right that I need something a little more conformal than the standard mass produced seats. Can your doctor recommend somebody who does adaptive equipment and might be willing to work with you?