Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting loose headset on a Raleigh Lil Honey 16" youth bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 08:07 AM
AKArider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

As the title states, I just bought a 2011 Raleigh Lil Honey 16" bike for my daughter and upon taking it home I noticed that it has around 1/4" of play in the headset. The headset has a traditional top nut with a knurled bottom nut. Is it as simple as loosening the top nut and tightening down the knurled nut, then re-tightening the top nut??? From everything I have been reading on here, that seems to be the case. I have included a picture of the exact bike she has.

Taking it one step further, do I need to be aware that the bike could have sustained any headset/bearing damage based on having this play for any period of time? Thank you for your time!

Attached Images

Last edited by AKArider; 05-21-13 at 08:07 AM. Reason: duplicate picture
Old 05-21-13, 10:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's a conventional threaded headset so, yes, adjusting it requires loosening the top locknut (if it isn't already loose), turning the top race down until the play just disappears and holding the top race stationary while you tighten the lock nut. checking for the condition and cleanliness of the grease is worthwhile if you can get into the internals.

After you get it adjusted, turn the bars both ways to see if they turn smoothly and with no catching or notches. If they turn smoothly, the headset is ok. If turning them is rough or erratic, a new headset is indicated or a stopgap is to remove any ball retainers and replace all of the bearing balls with new ones including extras to assure the races are full and well greased.
Old 05-21-13, 03:51 PM
AKArider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much HillRider! I will report back once its back in good working order. Thanks again!
Old 05-21-13, 09:40 PM
AKArider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that was easy! I could literally unscrew the top locknut with my fingers! (I'm sure some of might have guess that) I tightened down the top race, tightened down the top locknut and the play is gone! Solid as a rock and everything is smooth as butta! Thanks again HillRider!