Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help needed on a wheel build.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 08:53 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts

First time building a set of wheels. Tension seems high, spokes seem short, failure seems imminent.

Run down:
Miche Primato hubs
Ambrosio Excellight hubs
2.0/1.8 spokes
32 hole
3x
Rim brakes

I've been following along to Sheldon's site and Bike Gremlin's site. The wheel is true. Here is my concern:
There is still thread showing on the spokes.

I used the DT Swiss and Wheel builder calculators to get my.spoke length. Measurents were based on mfg respective websites as I did not already have the parts in my possession.

Following the base line for pitch on the Sheldon Brown site, I've got spokes that are 292mm and they all pluck to darn near an A note. Taking measurents on my cheapo imitation of a TM-1 I appear to be around 120kgf. Internet searches seem to say that's acceptable for the rims.

Are my spokes too short? Do I keep tensioning? I've only done the front wheel so far.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-24, 09:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
120kgf is getting mid to high tension for lightweight rims IMO. (and I have had a big name hub manufacturer tell me that 125kgf was too much tension for their 36 hole hubs...) The reason to do tensioning spokes during the build is for wheel stability/strength and not to "make up for less then best spoke lengths. For a rim braked and light rim front wheel I would tension to around 100=-.

Spoke length sure could be a tad (2 or 3mm?) longer but I doubt that there's failure coming in the short term. Remember (many) thousands of factory (and some hand built) wheels had had too short spokes with no problems due to that.

Different length calculators allow for spoke bed changes (eyelets or not, as example) and different rim manufactures measure to different outer points (like eyelets or extruded bed). Andy
Old 03-31-24, 10:05 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 667 Posts
if that nipple shot is typical and you have a spoke tension of 120 KgF I think you might see some nipple failures.

as Andy said above probably 1 or 2mm short. see pic below.

What you might do is take your ball pein hammder and tap tap tap the spoke elbow at the hub flange (I always do this to seat the elbows in the hub) and completely strain relieve the whole wheel, then re-true. might get you a 1/4 turn more thread engagement per spoke.

Then ride it and see.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-31-24, 11:58 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by mpetry912
if that nipple shot is typical and you have a spoke tension of 120 KgF I think you might see some nipple failures.

as Andy said above probably 1 or 2mm short. see pic below.

What you might do is take your ball pein hammder and tap tap tap the spoke elbow at the hub flange (I always do this to seat the elbows in the hub) and completely strain relieve the whole wheel, then re-true. might get you a 1/4 turn more thread engagement per spoke.

Then ride it and see.

/markp
This picture is precisely what I was concerned about. I did do the ball pien thing already. I have no issue ordering new spokes and starting over if that's what it takes. With maybe a few exceptions I'd say every spoke/nipple is as shown in my picture.
Old 03-31-24, 12:57 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
This picture is precisely what I was concerned about. I did do the ball pien thing already. I have no issue ordering new spokes and starting over if that's what it takes. With maybe a few exceptions I'd say every spoke/nipple is as shown in my picture.
Looking at your pictures, it seems that your spokes about 3mm short, if targeting between bottom of slot & top. Have you double checked that the lacing is correct? If you followed Sheldon's procedure, the lacing should be quite straightforward. An early sign of a problem should have been seen when you started to get to a baseline of nipple position. Most do this step by setting all nipples so a consistent # of treads remain visible (normally just when the last tread goes into the nipple).

Looked at the specs of the hub & rim, and would guess that the rim's ERD is wrong, or the spoke hole circle is mistaken. The hub's offset has a lesser effect on the spoke calculation.

There may have been a change made to the cup used to connect the double walled rim bed. Also, hard to say what assumption was made in 'spoke end' position when their measurement was taken.

It is always advisable to take actual measurements of ERD, whenever feasible. Procedure available online and will allow you to know exactly where the 'target' is for your calculation and whether to round up or down.
Old 03-31-24, 01:19 PM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Looking at your pictures, it seems that your spokes about 3mm short, if targeting between bottom of slot & top. Have you double checked that the lacing is correct? If you followed Sheldon's procedure, the lacing should be quite straightforward. An early sign of a problem should have been seen when you started to get to a baseline of nipple position. Most do this step by setting all nipples so a consistent # of treads remain visible (normally just when the last tread goes into the nipple).

Looked at the specs of the hub & rim, and would guess that the rim's ERD is wrong, or the spoke hole circle is mistaken. The hub's offset has a lesser effect on the spoke calculation.

There may have been a change made to the cup used to connect the double walled rim bed. Also, hard to say what assumption was made in 'spoke end' position when their measurement was taken.

It is always advisable to take actual measurements of ERD, whenever feasible. Procedure available online and will allow you to know exactly where the 'target' is for your calculation and whether to round up or down.
Thank you. The lacing is correct. I was head scratching for a bit because things did get wonky at first. The guys over at C&V helped me with that one.

I started the process by getting all of the spokes to the same length as you suggest. That's when I noticed how short things seemed. With about a thread showing my tension seemed very high.

Since I still have another rim and hub to build I think I'll keep the front as is for now. I'll remeasure and get appropriate spokes for the rear. Then I'll be prepared.to rebuild the front of things go south.
Old 03-31-24, 07:08 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 338 Posts
Are my spokes too short? Do I keep tensioning? I've only done the front wheel so far.
Short enough to worry about. Don't try to stretch them, just put it down to experience and buy some longer spokes.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-31-24, 07:41 PM
The_Joe

I just used the Park tool method to measure my ERD. 2 spokes of a known length and calipers to measure the gap. It brought me to 603mm which unfortunately is much larger than the 598mm ERD Ambrosio cites on the their website. I guess I'm buying longer spokes.

Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
Old 03-31-24, 08:01 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
I just used the Park tool method to measure my ERD. 2 spokes of a known length and calipers to measure the gap. It brought me to 603mm which unfortunately is much larger than the 598mm ERD Ambrosio cites on the their website. I guess I'm buying longer spokes.

Yes, about what was expected based on the pics (the top of the wrench flat is quite close to the rivet). Some change must have been made, possibly to the 'cup' or the rivet for the spoke reinforcement. Or their measurement was just to the rim without taking into account the 2-3mm that the spokes protrudes into the nipple.

If you decide to not respoke the front, back off the tension a bit. The front can usually withstand lower tension since it has no dish. In the short term, brass nipples shouldn't fail even of not penetrated to the head.
Old 03-31-24, 10:58 PM
Hooligans

Bikes: Rockhopper

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

That's interesting because I had the same experience using the Park Tool method vs. the label on the rim itself (Sun Rhynolite XL). I ordered spokes based on the larger number from my Park method measurements... we'll see.
Old 04-01-24, 12:52 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts

Fantastic rims, I love double socketed, wear like iron, wish I could find in 406, in fact I think they are becoming scarce in 700c.

My concern with the above pic is what looks like either a raised rib or valley under the socket lip, not sure about the pic angle but I don't think it's the lower corner between the sidewall and the outer wall that the socket sits on. Don't see same feature on the other side, although the sockets may be alternating left and right and it's just the camera angle. But something looks off about that. Unless there is a rib on each side that I can't see, and the purpose of the rib is to cock the socket toward the side that the spoke is aiming.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-01-24 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 01:06 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 878 Posts
Will they lace up 2 cross?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-01-24, 07:35 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Will they lace up 2 cross?
Way too long for a 2x unfortunately. Not to worry. I'll learn from the mistake and it'll give me more practice.
Old 04-01-24, 07:37 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Fantastic rims, I love double socketed, wear like iron, wish I could find in 406, in fact I think they are becoming scarce in 700c.

My concern with the above pic is what looks like either a raised rib or valley under the socket lip, not sure about the pic angle but I don't think it's the lower corner between the sidewall and the outer wall that the socket sits on. Don't see same feature on the other side, although the sockets may be alternating left and right and it's just the camera angle. But something looks off about that. Unless there is a rib on each side that I can't see, and the purpose of the rib is to cock the socket toward the side that the spoke is aiming.
The rib is just the one side. Not sure what it's purpose is but it's on both rims so not a an issue as far as defects go. The eyelets do alternate. I haven't looked closely enough to try and figure out the purpose of the rib.
Old 04-02-24, 12:52 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
The rib is just the one side. Not sure what it's purpose is but it's on both rims so not a an issue as far as defects go. The eyelets do alternate. I haven't looked closely enough to try and figure out the purpose of the rib.
Rib only one side, huh, that rules out it being designed to cock the alternating eyelets. I would think it might be for positioning to drill the holes, but you said the eyelets alternate laterally, so again, doesn't make sense. Let us know if you find out.

Are those rims current production, or NOS (New Old Stock)?
Old 04-02-24, 03:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5796 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,448 Posts
Pardon if this has been said.

The reason your spokes came up short is because of the sloppy definition of ERD.

As used by most spoke calculators, it means the diameter where you hope the spokes to end, ie. just shy of the tops of the nipples

When published as a spec. by (some) rim makers, it's the actual diameter where spokes sit. Rim makers do this because a spec. must be measurable, and they don't know what nipples a builder might plan on, or where he prefers spokes to end, so they correctly publish what they KNOW.

That leaves a roughly 4mm per side discrepancy reflecting the heads of nipples.

This is why I insist that people measure everything for themselves. Otherwise they have to play the Newlywed Game, and guess what other party thinks you are thinking.

There's no way around it ----- either accept what you have, and caklbit a day, or buy spokes 4mm longer and start anew. Next time MEASURE.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-02-24 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-02-24, 04:12 AM
Bikerepairing

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No idea man

But I have a question: what on earth made you decide to build your own wheels? I can only think of the fact that you like the process and want to do all this work just for the experience?
Anyways, lots of luck! I hope you get it right!
Old 04-02-24, 09:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Pardon if this has been said.

The reason your spokes came up short is because of the sloppy definition of ERD.

As used by most spoke calculators, it means the diameter where you hope the spokes to end, ie. just shy of the tops of the nipples

When published as a spec. by (some) rim makers, it's the actual diameter where spokes sit. Rim makers do this because a spec. must be measurable, and they don't know what nipples a builder might plan on, or where he prefers spokes to end, so they correctly publish what they KNOW.

That leaves a roughly 4mm per side discrepancy reflecting the heads of nipples.

This is why I insist that people measure everything for themselves. Otherwise they have to play the Newlywed Game, and guess what other party thinks you are thinking.

There's no way around it ----- either accept what you have, and caklbit a day, or buy spokes 4mm longer and start anew. Next time MEASURE.
+1, my same experience. I built up a set of H Plus Son Archetypes. I ran across some mention on the web of H Plus Son's "error" in reporting their ERD. I measured the expected(based on parts used) ERD myself and did indeed get a different value. I ordered spokes based on that measurement and they fit perfectly.
Old 04-02-24, 09:37 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
....Taking measurements on my cheapo imitation of a TM-1 I appear to be around 120kgf....
A good portion of your conclusion that the spokes are at the correct tension is based on a very suspect tool. With due respect..garbage in garbage out (as they say).

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...on-meters.html

Note specifically the charts reporting the cheap tensiometer indicated values vs the much better tensiometer's remeasured closer-to-reality values.

There was a recent thread discussing a wheel build that may be of some use..https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ion-meter.html
Old 04-02-24, 10:09 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 176 Posts
Congratulations, you built your first wheel. It's not perfect, but it will work. You also learned some lessons. As others have said, you could ride as is, or redo it with longer spokes. Nobody will ever know because your error is tucked inside the rim (no "apprentice marks").

Changing the musical tone of a spoke (once you get to that level), is +/- about one revolution of the nipple. You obviously are short by several full turns and should not try to fix this with tensioning. I would call the wheel finished.

Regarding tension tools, remember that for many years they weren't used at all. Double check your tool in every way you can think of. It should be able to repeat a reading, even if the reading is bad, so compare your spokes to the spokes on a known good wheel and see what that looks like. Also a good idea to continue to use the low-tech methods of listening to notes and squeezing pairs of spokes.

Smart idea doing the front first. Good luck on the rear.
Old 04-02-24, 11:23 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerepairing
But I have a question: what on earth made you decide to build your own wheels? I can only think of the fact that you like the process and want to do all this work just for the experience?
Anyways, lots of luck! I hope you get it right!
What do you think this forum is about?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-02-24, 12:03 PM
The_Joe

I'll try and respond the best I can without needing to quote everyone. Maybe you'll all see it.

These are new production rims.

I could not measure the rim as I didn't have it in hand yet. Lesson learned. I remeasured and have ordered longer spokes.

The tension meter reading high is a lesser issue in this instance. Yes, it's partly where I'm basing my numerical value of tension but I'm just using it as another frame of reference. I'll check out your link. What I should have also mentioned is that any further tensioning results in significant noise, torsion, and effort. Squeezing the spokes I can easily tell that they're much tighter than any of my other wheels.

I'm building wheels because why not! This is a long term project and I've got to wait for the frame to be painted anyway. The other reason is because there were no pre built wheels that fit what I wanted.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 04-02-24, 12:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I'm building wheels because why not! This is a long term project and I've got to wait for the frame to be painted anyway. The other reason is because there were no pre built wheels that fit what I wanted.
There's never a need to justify or explain a decision like this. You opted to build wheels because you wanted to. End of story.

As for relying on specs. and/or buying without measuring, that will happen, and we all need to sometimes.

You can't do much about buying the wrong spokes, except return them if allowed, but you can save yourself wasted time.

First, measure the rims upon receipt, and confirm the ERD, and spoke calculation before building.

You can also trial the length using 2 spokes going to opposite sides of the rim, and corresponding holes near each other in the hub. To clarify, spokes to 12&6 on the rim and 2&4 on the hub. Tighten nipples to desired height, and the hub should cause some tension when pushed sideways to where it will end up.

This takes a minute or two, but can save much more.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-02-24, 01:02 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I would recommend investing some $10 into this book:
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
That is the simplest way to learn how to build wheels.

If you wish to learn why, I suggest you read the Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel".

The book's author, Roger Musson, made a spoke length calculator that has worked very well for me with both bicycle and motorcycle wheel building (with some tweaks for the latter as the calc. doesn't give any support for 3+ mm thick spokes).
Unfortunately, the calculator is no longer supported for those who haven't paid for the book.

With the spokes being too short, the nipple head might break off with heavy/strong riders even when strong rims are used. Case in point:
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/8431/custom-wheel/#4

One of the most common mistakes when calculating spoke length is relying on the manufacturer's ERD data.
The data provided for the hubs is less critical and more often accurate, but the ERD measuring methods can affect the results (and if the calculator you use doesn't use the same method, you could run into problems, as you have).

What FBinNY explained is a good, reliable way of measuring the ERD.
Longer explanation with pictures:
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/9266/ef...-rim-diameter/

Still, I think investing the money and time into the above-mentioned book(s) will probably help more than a thousand forum questions and replies.
I can not recommend those enough.

Relja
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 04-02-24, 01:21 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
One of the most common mistakes when calculating spoke length is relying on the manufacturer's ERD data.
The data provided for the hubs is less critical and more often accurate, but the ERD measuring methods can affect the results (and if the calculator you use doesn't use the same method, you could run into problems, as you have).
Thank you for clearly, though possibly unintentionally, showing the issue with ERD data.

In your linked post are images showing ERD for a single wall and 2 double wall rims. They're inconsistent because the first has ERD to the nipple seat, and the other two to the nipple top.

Both are "correct" depending on how you define ERD, but I suggest you settle on one and synchronize the graphics accordingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.