Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Strava Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Strava Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 10:49 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
So after such a long, long wait, Strava has finally rolled out photo uploading from the PC web interface. It's only been... what, 2+ years?

HIP HIP HOORAY!! /sarcasm

Anyways... tried it just now. Mostly works, but occasionally buggy where you drag a bunch of photos and 1 or 2 of them inexplicably fail to upload, disappearing from the upload box without any notification. Easy enough to workaround it by dragging images one at a time, giving approx. 3-5s in between (usually the drop happens within that time) so you can identify and re-drag the dropped image. Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

But who am I to complain? At least they finally catered to us minority users who don't use a smartphone (or Instagram) to upload, eh?
Old 01-23-18, 10:51 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
So after such a long, long wait, Strava has finally rolled out photo uploading from the PC web interface. It's only been... what, 2+ years?

HIP HIP HOORAY!! /sarcasm

Anyways... tried it just now. Mostly works, but occasionally buggy where you drag a bunch of photos and 1 or 2 of them inexplicably fail to upload, disappearing from the upload box without any notification. Easy enough to workaround it by dragging images one at a time, giving approx. 3-5s in between (usually the drop happens within that time) so you can identify and re-drag the dropped image. Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

But who am I to complain? At least they finally catered to us minority users who don't use a smartphone (or Instagram) to upload, eh?
They also added photo upload from the mobile browser as well, in case you don't have the app installed.
Old 01-24-18, 01:11 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
They also added photo upload from the mobile browser as well, in case you don't have the app installed.
I guess it makes sense to roll both out together, as both desktop browser and mobile browser would share the same innards.
Old 01-24-18, 06:18 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's nice to see the scenery and friendly faces sometimes, but overall I'm indifferent to the whole photo thing - not really looking for pictures when I go through the activity feed - just like to see where folks go, and whether they collect any medals, trophies or crowns along the way.

Speaking of which, Strava did something rather annoying yesterday. I got two emails saying someone had stolen my KOM. I thought it was odd, since as far as I could remember, I only have one now, and it's a doubled loop that nobody has reason to do. It was kind of depressing, and when I saw the name of the person, I thought: that guy - he's such a jerk! Seriously, he's one of those guys who trains by going around capturing KOM crowns. Turns out, the message was about crowns he took from me OVER TWO YEARS AGO! Stupid Strava....
Old 01-24-18, 07:37 AM
Elvir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of KOMs, I am starting to get annoyed when I plan a segment just to see I got beat by a rookie pedaling 45mph up 8% grade, with zero cadence. and resting heart rate. People turn your Strava off when you're done riding.
Old 01-24-18, 08:54 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvir
Speaking of KOMs, I am starting to get annoyed when I plan a segment just to see I got beat by a rookie pedaling 45mph up 8% grade, with zero cadence. and resting heart rate. People turn your Strava off when you're done riding.
I could swear I turned it off and saved the ride after I got off the Citibike and headed to the bus, but evidently not. Fortunately I caught it before we got off the turnpike, so I didn't cover any cycle-able segments. But I did get a new top speed of 57mph.
Old 01-24-18, 11:09 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
It's nice to see the scenery and friendly faces sometimes, but overall I'm indifferent to the whole photo thing - not really looking for pictures when I go through the activity feed - just like to see where folks go, and whether they collect any medals, trophies or crowns along the way.

Speaking of which, Strava did something rather annoying yesterday. I got two emails saying someone had stolen my KOM. I thought it was odd, since as far as I could remember, I only have one now, and it's a doubled loop that nobody has reason to do. It was kind of depressing, and when I saw the name of the person, I thought: that guy - he's such a jerk! Seriously, he's one of those guys who trains by going around capturing KOM crowns. Turns out, the message was about crowns he took from me OVER TWO YEARS AGO! Stupid Strava....
If you create a segment Strava will go back retroactively and find everyone who has ever ridden on it to populate the leaderboard. As far as I can tell, it will give someone a KOM but it won't notify them that they got a KOM. Then, if someone later takes it, that person will get a notification that they lost a KOM they didn't know they had.

I've had that happen with KOMs way out in the middle of nowhere, where it's literally like me and one other person who has ever ridden it (and also been on Strava.) Really, that's the only way I get KOMs anyway.
Old 01-24-18, 11:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The disparity between the number of KOMs I have achieved through deliberate effort and those I have gotten unwittingly is almost depressing.

Not that I'm giving back any of the "luck" KOMs. I made the lights or the wind was in my favor. That's how it goes.
Old 01-24-18, 11:41 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My biggest frustration with Strava are those guys that join every club and spam the leaderboard. At one point our local club had 3 random guys from Spain on the top of the leaderboards. They need to have another group join setting where you can join if you're local but have to request if not.
Old 01-24-18, 12:56 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ksryder
If you create a segment Strava will go back retroactively and find everyone who has ever ridden on it to populate the leaderboard. As far as I can tell, it will give someone a KOM but it won't notify them that they got a KOM. Then, if someone later takes it, that person will get a notification that they lost a KOM they didn't know they had.

I've had that happen with KOMs way out in the middle of nowhere, where it's literally like me and one other person who has ever ridden it (and also been on Strava.) Really, that's the only way I get KOMs anyway.
Thing is, these are old segments, and I got the message about him taking them back when it actually happened.
Old 01-24-18, 01:08 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
My biggest frustration with Strava are those guys that join every club and spam the leaderboard. At one point our local club had 3 random guys from Spain on the top of the leaderboards. They need to have another group join setting where you can join if you're local but have to request if not.

This one, silly as it sounds, is would bother me too. There's two guys in my area that belong to over 70 clubs most of them local clubs. They're both year round bike commuters and they are at the top of the leaderboards based on mileage for every single club. Lame.

The only club I belong to is one with restricted membership (there's only 4 members right now) but I can totally see how this would annoy the **** out of people.

I do like Strava though.
Old 01-24-18, 02:35 PM
ksryder

Yeah we have a couple of those in my local clubs. I was trying to come up with a clever name for them, Stravaholes is not specific enough, but then I realized I don't want to invest the mental energy in that.
Old 01-24-18, 03:11 PM
Elvir

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The worse thing about those guys is that they have more clubs joined, than total accumulated miles ridden, yet they have 2000 followers. I randomly get guys from Brazil or England giving me kudos. First thing I look for is how many clubs they belong to before questioning how do they know me.
Old 01-25-18, 12:26 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
This is the coolest club https://www.strava.com/clubs/yolodyrtdogz
All riders here are very cool and serious.
Old 01-25-18, 01:34 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Strava needs to figure out a way to weed out all the ridiculous KOMs that are obviously the result of leaving Strava/ your GPS on after your ride. C’mon, 55mph up an 8% grade... you’re not foolin’ anyone sir/ma’am.
Old 01-25-18, 06:04 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
Strava needs to figure out a way to weed out all the ridiculous KOMs that are obviously the result of leaving Strava/ your GPS on after your ride. C’mon, 55mph up an 8% grade... you’re not foolin’ anyone sir/ma’am.
Originally Posted by Elvir
Strava relies on users policing the data. When you see numbers like that, flag the ride as done in a vehicle. 9 times out of 10 it isn't malicious, it's just a mountain biker who left their GPS on during their drive home and didn't crop the ride data.
Old 01-25-18, 07:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
As others have said, it is usually people leaving their GPS on after a ride. Just flag it.

There is a mountain bike park near me and they do it all the time. One guy left the park with his GPS on and drove 74 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, on his way to McDonalds.

-Tim-
Old 01-25-18, 08:20 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Strava relies on users policing the data. When you see numbers like that, flag the ride as done in a vehicle. 9 times out of 10 it isn't malicious, it's just a mountain biker who left their GPS on during their drive home and didn't crop the ride data.
Strava is being lazy.

They could help us with the simple algorithm above to suggest that the ride has questionable data.
Old 01-25-18, 09:25 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Strava is being lazy.

They could help us with the simple algorithm above to suggest that the ride has questionable data.
I agree. Pretty easy for any segment that comes in over 110% of the KOM to get an auto flag.
Very hard when it is below the KOM. Some segments get cared 4 times a month.
Old 01-25-18, 09:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Just sign up at KOM Defender. They do what we wish Strava would do themselves, using an algorithm to detect anomalies. Only as it is now, we have to do the legwork and look up the rides and flag them. I usually have to flag a handful of rides every week-- and as has been mentioned, at least 90% of the time it's somebody leaving the phone app on when they get in the car to drive home.
Old 01-25-18, 09:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Strava is being lazy.

They already do have something of the sort set up for running - when I've uploaded a ride when my Garmin was set to 'Run,' I've gotten an immediate flag from Strava, but I guess that the tolerances are pretty loose on rides. I'm guessing that it's just looking at speed and, with the speeds attainable downhill and/or in groups, the window of legitimacy needs to be pretty wide. If enough paying members start asking for it, I'm sure they'll work on it, factoring in grades and whatnot, but until then, I'm sure that the focus is on facebookification of the platform.
Old 01-30-18, 10:41 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Why can't I create a segment?

I look at my ride, click the wrench icon --> Create Segment and it takes me to the dashboard.

-Tim-
Old 01-30-18, 11:08 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Why can't I create a segment?

I look at my ride, click the wrench icon --> Create Segment and it takes me to the dashboard.

-Tim-
Looks like it's doing that for me, too. I've created several segments in the past, so I'm guessing some sort of malfunction on Strava.

I wonder if they've temporarily disabled segment creation while they deal with the fallout from the "OMG STRAVA IS REVEALING MILITARY SECRETS!!!1!1!1!!!!!" hysteria.
Old 01-30-18, 11:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ksryder
Looks like it's doing that for me, too. I've created several segments in the past, so I'm guessing some sort of malfunction on Strava.

I wonder if they've temporarily disabled segment creation while they deal with the fallout from the "OMG STRAVA IS REVEALING MILITARY SECRETS!!!1!1!1!!!!!" hysteria.

I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for checking.

-Tim-
Old 01-30-18, 11:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Still working for me. I created a segment yesterday, and the wrench takes me to the Create Segment page right now.

So I dunno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.