Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Save 100g, will it help better performance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Save 100g, will it help better performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 11:41 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I would never notice 100g of weight reduction.
I wouldn't notice 100g off my cranks. But I'd totally notice it off the seat when I stood on the bike. Or 100g less in the tyres should be noticeable. And I'd notice it off the bars without even standing up, but how much depends how long the stem is.

Of course, it's 'only' of psychological benefit unless you're climbing. Quicker wheels need more work to keep at speed, etc.

But a whole lot of folks here are dismissing the placebo effect out of hand. People conducting scientific studies don't.
Old 06-01-18, 06:56 AM
Elvir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
But a faster bike would still make you faster. That's the problem with anecdotes like yours: they're either/or.

Do what you've done, but on a faster bike, and you've gone even faster than you would with just one or the other. No either/or necessary.
I already made appoint about theoretical advantages, by mentioning products being tested in a perfect world. A more aero bike will slice through air easier and therefore be faster, same for wheels, helmets..bla bla bla

I got two bikes. One is 17 pounds and one is 15 pounds. I am equally fast on both of them overall. 17 pound bike is more aero, while the 15 pound bike is more stiffer and ideal for climbing. Depending on the type of ride I am doing more or less hills and various conditions, I will have to work harder with the 17 pound bike, but again, that does not mean that I am guaranteed to be dropped out of a ride. It only means that I have to work harder. Every ride that I do, I can assure you that I will complete unless I am seriously out advantaged in physical fitness, which has not yet happened yet. I certainly hope it does at some point, because I love being challenged by faster people. That is the way I get faster.

When it comes to 100 grams (PER TOPIC) and noticing the difference. I can say from "My experience" that it is negligible. People buy into all the advertisements of speed and aero and bla bla bla..that they forget, on a day to day rides whether it be solo or group, so many factors play into affect. Just a few examples. Taking brakes. Getting caught at traffic light, accidentally shifting into a wrong gear, or being in a wrong gear and wasting more watts. Being on the top bars instead of drops, having two water bottles when only needing one. Having more spare parts than needed..I can go on. Those are the real world factors and they cancel out any advantage 100g could save you.

Hell, even armature racers during a race will not have a support vehicle, so they have to rely on themselves. What they pack for that race will determine how much extra weight they pack on.

At the end of the day, is 100g less better for performance...yes. Will I personally notice it, more than likely not. Is 100g weight savings worth whatever price tag comes with it? That is up to you! I personally only buy more expensive and lighter stuff if what I currently own is in need of replacement. I would not just buy something lighter just to have something lighter.
Old 06-01-18, 07:19 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvir
I already made appoint about theoretical advantages, by mentioning products being tested in a perfect world. A more aero bike will slice through air easier and therefore be faster, same for wheels, helmets..bla bla bla

I got two bikes. One is 17 pounds and one is 15 pounds. I am equally fast on both of them overall. 17 pound bike is more aero, while the 15 pound bike is more stiffer and ideal for climbing. Depending on the type of ride I am doing more or less hills and various conditions, I will have to work harder with the 17 pound bike, but again, that does not mean that I am guaranteed to be dropped out of a ride. It only means that I have to work harder. Every ride that I do, I can assure you that I will complete unless I am seriously out advantaged in physical fitness, which has not yet happened yet. I certainly hope it does at some point, because I love being challenged by faster people. That is the way I get faster.

When it comes to 100 grams (PER TOPIC) and noticing the difference. I can say from "My experience" that it is negligible. People buy into all the advertisements of speed and aero and bla bla bla..that they forget, on a day to day rides whether it be solo or group, so many factors play into affect. Just a few examples. Taking brakes. Getting caught at traffic light, accidentally shifting into a wrong gear, or being in a wrong gear and wasting more watts. Being on the top bars instead of drops, having two water bottles when only needing one. Having more spare parts than needed..I can go on. Those are the real world factors and they cancel out any advantage 100g could save you.

Hell, even armature racers during a race will not have a support vehicle, so they have to rely on themselves. What they pack for that race will determine how much extra weight they pack on.

At the end of the day, is 100g less better for performance...yes. Will I personally notice it, more than likely not. Is 100g weight savings worth whatever price tag comes with it? That is up to you! I personally only buy more expensive and lighter stuff if what I currently own is in need of replacement. I would not just buy something lighter just to have something lighter.
Doesn't really have anything to do with completing or not completing a ride, or getting dropped on a ride. It is not an either/or situation. You can still push yourself, AND push the limits of technology on the bike. The faster bike will make you faster, whether or not you're in shape or not in shape.

And wrong, even Cat 4 and 5 races have wheel trucks/support vehicles and feed zones. Zero reason to carry anything extra.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 06-01-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 07:50 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

Have you actually ever pinned on a number?
Old 06-01-18, 07:55 AM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't really have anything to do with completing or not completing a ride, or getting dropped on a ride. It is not an either/or situation. You can still push yourself, AND push the limits of technology on the bike. The faster bike will make you faster, whether or not you're in shape or not in shape.

Sounds like you are agreeing with my last statement. Seems that you and I have difference in opinion in what 100g means to us.
Old 06-01-18, 09:44 AM
rubiksoval

Sounds like you are agreeing with my last statement. Seems that you and I have difference in opinion in what 100g means to us.
Sure, your last statement, I do. But my initial disagreement centers on your premise that you're going to make up for having an "inferior" bike by simply riding harder.

That's an erroneous thought process when it comes to cycling.
Old 06-01-18, 10:40 AM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, your last statement, I do. But my initial disagreement centers on your premise that you're going to make up for having an "inferior" bike by simply riding harder.

That's an erroneous thought process when it comes to cycling.
Were not talking about "Inferior" bikes. Were talking about 100g, which by the way has not even been established what that is. My next bike experience that I want is a Trek Madone. The one I want is 17lbs compared to my trek emonda at 15lbs. My emonda is not even close to being an aero bike, but weight disadvantage on the madone of 900g would not make it inferior, especially since its designed to be much faster.

We can really go on and on..at the end of the day I am expressing my opinion and you are getting way too bent out of shape about it.

Last edited by Elvir; 06-01-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 11:28 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by afham07
Hi All,

Many of us really care about the weight of the bike including me but I have no idea if 100g is big different?

Will it makes big different if I change handlebar from alloy to carbon which I probably save around 100g in weight?

Thank you.
Define big. If you're racing and a few seconds or watts is a big deal, then yes, they will make a difference. If you just ride your bike to the coffee shop and do the occasional group ride, it won't be a very big difference.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-01-18, 12:19 PM
rubiksoval

Were not talking about "Inferior" bikes. Were talking about 100g, which by the way has not even been established what that is. My next bike experience that I want is a Trek Madone. The one I want is 17lbs compared to my trek emonda at 15lbs. My emonda is not even close to being an aero bike, but weight disadvantage on the madone of 900g would not make it inferior, especially since its designed to be much faster.

We can really go on and on..at the end of the day I am expressing my opinion and you are getting way too bent out of shape about it.
That's why "inferior" was in quotation marks. To denote a difference in the two bikes, in this specific case, in weight. It's a bit of hyperbole, but the point should be fairly obvious.

At the end of the day you're making errant comments about something you don't quite seem to understand, and you're broaching subjects with which you apparently have no experience. I'm not bent out of shape about it, I'm just pointing that out.
Old 06-01-18, 12:26 PM
Elvir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the end of the day you're making errant comments about something you don't quite seem to understand, and you're broaching subjects with which you apparently have no experience. I'm not bent out of shape about it, I'm just pointing that out.
sure, lets go with that.
Old 06-01-18, 01:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If you can accumulate many 100-gram savings, the results might become noticeable. But just 100 grams all by itself? Nope, no change.
Old 06-02-18, 05:29 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

It depends where.

If I added 100g to your belly, you wouldn't notice. But what if I added it to your nose?
Old 06-02-18, 07:02 PM
Brandonyatessr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes. When you climb Mt Washington (or similar steep climbs), if say you+bike+cloths+plus everything in your pockets weigh 175 pounds, you will get to the top 0.14% faster. Do the climb in an hour and save 5 seconds.

Now, on flat ground, the weight savings only shows up as less rolling resistance and as a result of that, lower drivetrain resistance. So it rolling resistance is 10% of the total and mechanical 5%, you would have a 0.0014 X 0.1 + 0.0014 X 0.1 X 0.05 = .0147% faster. (Over an hour, 1/2 second. At 20 mph, 18 feet. Real gains. Go for it!)

And yes, math and numbers takes all the fun out if it.

Ben
I just want to climb Mt.Washington someday.
Old 06-02-18, 07:07 PM
Brandonyatessr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just leave it alone and lose a few pounds.
Old 06-03-18, 02:59 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Assuming you are a fast climber that can do 1000m in one hour, adding 0.1kg will add less than 10 (more like 5) seconds to your accent, or require an additional ~0.3W to the grand total of about 285W (assuming 200lbs total weight) to maintain same accent time. > +0.1kg is insignificant outside the scope of racing for money. > Go for better aero an less rolling and drive train friction, if you want to go faster.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 06-03-18 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 06:37 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
seconds to your accent
I thought it was living in the country that added seconds to your accent