Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worth getting a power meter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worth getting a power meter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 06:07 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a power meter, I don’t really use it to train to make me faster but I do use it as a pacing tool on my longer rides(200k+Kms) to track calorie burned more acually
to maintain weight and to see how much power I can drop in a all out sprint, sometimes I just like to look at the numbers and see what I’m putting out or how fatigued I am on the ride. There’s many uses for it beside training,
Old 06-11-18, 05:28 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought a power meter this winter, skeptical of whether it would make a difference to me, but now I live for power readings and no longer rely on speed as an indicator. You know those places where you can really crank it up? A PM will probably tell you that you aren't putting out much power. Those places that you slog through? You are probably way over your threshold. It turns your cycling effort on its head, and it makes you a better rider because of it. That headwind you hate is probably your best training tool! I'm just an average and older rider that doesn't NEED it, but it really changed my riding habits, and I'm a lot stronger now.
Old 06-11-18, 06:10 AM
Elvir

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bazap
Coming from a running background its weird to me how objective the power meter measurements are. Running is always more of a feel based sport / efforts.

I have been interested in getting a power meter but they always seem so expensive. I have a Trek 1.2 (shimano sora components, look keo classic pedals) and I am wondering what power meter would be decent and not cost as much as a new bike at this level. It seems more realistic for me to just not get one but I am curious if such options exist
Just get yourself a PowerPod V2 powermeter. Its cheap and works great. several buddies use it religiously. Ive been thinking of getting it too
Old 06-11-18, 08:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I bought a power meter this winter, skeptical of whether it would make a difference to me, but now I live for power readings and no longer rely on speed as an indicator. You know those places where you can really crank it up? A PM will probably tell you that you aren't putting out much power. Those places that you slog through? You are probably way over your threshold. It turns your cycling effort on its head, and it makes you a better rider because of it. That headwind you hate is probably your best training tool! I'm just an average and older rider that doesn't NEED it, but it really changed my riding habits, and I'm a lot stronger now.
You wind up with a better idea of what's going on, and sometimes that's counter-intuitive.
Old 06-11-18, 01:04 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I will do an interval workout this evening after work. PM is very useful!
Tomorrow evening, another interval workout. Same as above.
Wednesday evening, recovery ride. Same as above.
Thursday evening, 3 hour big climbing ride. I probably won't look at my numbers much during the ride, but I will analyze data after the ride.
Friday, another recovery ride. PM is very useful!
Saturday, fast group ride. Again, I won't look at numbers much during the ride but I will analyze data after the ride. Having a good grasp of RPE is important to me as well as PM data to chew on.
Sunday, rest day to focus on other important things.
Over time, this approach gives me a lot of power information to look at and work from going forward. Much more meaningful that what I would have with HR only.
Is a PM worth it? Very much so to me!

If you want a good read, I recommend this: The Power Meter Handbook by Joe Friel . The other book previously mentioned is really good, but very advanced for someone just considering whether to get a PM.

BTW, there are a lot of people out there with power meters that really don't use them. They will tell you they do, but they don't! They would do well to read and apply the book I linked to also.
Old 06-11-18, 01:25 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
IMHO, get a smart trainer first, power meter second.

A power meter is only as good as your ability to interpret the data. For most, it's nothing more than a pacing tool, because the "user manual" is Andrew Coggan's 300+ page book.

A smart trainer allows you to use an app like TrainerRoad to hit the ground running. After going through a full training cycle, the numbers will be much more meaningful when you see them out on the road, and Coggan's book will be much easier to read.

As for how these products compare to other bike upgrades, there is no comparison. I would sooner ditch my carbon bikes and revert to my 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 than give up my power meter and smart trainer.

Last edited by colombo357; 06-11-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 05:27 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should make Cycling your primary focus instead of running, and then you should get yourself a power meter .
Old 06-11-18, 05:30 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A power meter has been entirely worth it for me, and training is just the tip of the iceberg.
Originally Posted by sdmc530
PM’s are great training tools. I waited a long time to get one because of the price. I wish I would not have waited so long
^this

Originally Posted by Riveting
Training without a power meter is like going to a gym that has no weight listed on any of the free-weights or universal equipment, or running on a treadmill without the speed showing. You can still do a great workout based on feel, but knowing what the weight or speed is significantly helps with the incremental increases in your training plan.
If you're using a bike for a training tool, then I completely agree with this.
Old 06-12-18, 08:49 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from a running background its weird to me how objective the power meter measurements are. Running is always more of a feel based sport / efforts.

I have been interested in getting a power meter but they always seem so expensive. I have a Trek 1.2 (shimano sora components, look keo classic pedals) and I am wondering what power meter would be decent and not cost as much as a new bike at this level. It seems more realistic for me to just not get one but I am curious if such options exist
Fellow runner here with 15 years of running background who started doing triathlons a few years back.

I totally get what you mean. With running, pace stays pretty consistent and you learn what certain paces feel like, effort-wise.

For cycling, I'd say a power meter is only worth it if you're going to be seriously getting into cycling. When I was in college (and just after college), cycling was mostly a way to cross-train. Something to do during the off season or on a "off" day that got me outside for an hour or more that I more or less enjoyed. While looking at my GPS speed was fun, I wasn't really in it for the any competitive means. If cycling for you is just this, I don't think it is necessary.

Two years back, I moved to Colorado from Illinois. In IL, I could go 25+ miles and maybe have 100-150' of elevation change. Here in CO, I could easily hit 1000'+ on an average ride, or if I go into the mountains, you're looking 2000-3000+ feet in total climbs. Speed became irrelevant then. Where I used to be able to go between 18-20 and call it a good workout, now, 30MPH could be easy and 12MPH could be hard. That's where power comes in for me. Helps me to keep my ride efforts consistent.
Old 06-12-18, 08:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Riveting
Training without a power meter is like going to a gym that has no weight listed on any of the free-weights or universal equipment ...
And how much weight you have on the bar changes every rep.
Old 06-12-18, 09:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Right now I am cycling in supplement to the more serious running training I am doing. It seems like while I am doing that (and not training for Triathlons) buying a power meter should probably be put off for a bit.
It sounds like you don't need one.
Old 06-12-18, 12:01 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
You can get a power meter for cycling AND running...

Also, I own a Smart Trainer as well as a PowerTap G3, I LOVE training with power, it is honestly far better than HR or average speed. Is it worth it? Hard to say, considering I only training cycling, specifically so I can be stronger in races, to me, it's absolutely worth it.

If you goal is to cycle better, then it is the #1 training tool you can buy, but if you don't use the numbers, setup training plans with it, and train for swimming/running simultaneously, it will honestly be a waste.
Old 06-13-18, 08:39 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I think the power pod is too costly for what it does. Too close to a crank arm that is strain gauge data vs. power pod. I think spending the extra $100 is worth it. Now if the Pod deal was 199-225$ range then I can see why it would be a great tool for the average rider who wants a PM to play with. I like the concept. I know DC rainmaker gave it good reviews but the data wasn't super consistent even with itself if you read about it online. I really like the concept though.

@Bif post on my friend, post on!
Old 06-14-18, 06:03 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
The smart trainer has had the most effect on performance for me, but the powermeter is a close second. Just realize a powermeter is only a sensor, so you have to have some idea what to do with the numbers and how to analyze the data.

Monday I went for a "training" ride and was able to keep my power in a specific range for a couple of long intervals. If I were riding by feel I would have probably been blowing myself up during the beginning by pushing too hard and then fading by the end of it. That's one instance where the PM is useful. Keeping track of TSS, CTL, and fatigue is also helpful.
Old 06-14-18, 06:32 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Going with anything that isn't strain-gauge based is a complete waste of money, in my opinion. I'll add the same assertion to anything that measures only one leg, but some people are okay with that compromise.
Old 06-14-18, 07:15 AM
Bif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Spend the extra $100 for a 4iii"
Is that left side only ?

Reason I ask is since I got the PP, I discovered how much my right leg produces vs my left. IF I had gone with a left side only power meter, it would be totally useless as it would be doubling the power (minimal that it is) to give me my "true power" which would be useless and invalid.
Old 06-14-18, 07:48 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
This thread has suddenly become fascinating.
Old 06-14-18, 08:23 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
This thread has suddenly become fascinating.
The OP seemed to decide a powermeter is unnecessary for him at this time, but now it's just an argument about the usefulness of a powerpod.
Old 06-14-18, 11:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
When direct force power meters are available for less (PowerBeat, though it involves DIY) or not much more (Stages, 4iiii, Pioneer), it's pretty hard to justify the PowerPod IMO.
You can have your power "measured" by an algorithm for free if you use Strava. I don't know why anybody would pay hundreds of dollars for the same thing.
Old 06-14-18, 12:09 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Bif
Right on.

I also believe he is cherry picking that data from DC's review. Didn't he get much better results after they tweaked the firmware? In the end, PP is about 2% accuracy. Lots of low IQ folks can't wrap their heads around the math and laws that make the PP a reality though. They are stuck on DFPM as the only way to arrive at the data. And, most importantly, none of them have tried it.
Interesting. Say I'm riding a pair of Conti Gator Skins with butyl tubes before switching to a pair of Vittorai Corsa Speed tubeless. Everything else the same. How does it account for that significantly different rolling resistance?

How about rough roads versus smooth?

I can't quite get how it would account for rolling resistance changes.

Is powerpod the one that was talking about aero testing along with a strain-gauge power meter? I think that would actually be a pretty cool thing to work with. Could possibly dial in some aero refinements pretty quickly if it does it in real time.
Old 06-14-18, 12:25 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
From what I understand, the problem is that it isn't consistent. Because it measures air flow, it has no way to tell how much wind resistance there is. Depending on the clothes one is wearing, the position on the bike etc, your power estimate can be way off. You could do two intervals with the exact same power, but have one read way higher because you had your hands in the drops rather than on the hoods.
I have a powerPod on my rain bike and an SRM Origin on my road bike. The numbers are slightly higher on the PowerPod compared to the SRM. There is a way to adjust the resistance calculation on the PP. I think it is called Crr, which represents the resistance that is estimated, like your body and tire resistant.
Old 06-14-18, 12:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You can have your power "measured" by an algorithm for free if you use Strava. I don't know why anybody would pay hundreds of dollars for the same thing.
I have a PowerPod and an SRM. I have data from both from the same bike. The PP reads slightly higher than the SRM. For example two different rides at similar perceived efforts there can be 6-12 watt difference. The PowerPod seems consistent in that the numbers look right for my given perceived output. The PowerPod seems less accurate on group rides where there is a lot of accelerating or rides with a high EF.
Old 06-14-18, 12:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

How does it know when you leave the pavement, or move from the drops to the hoods?
Old 06-14-18, 01:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
I have found deleting posts to be more fun than just locking a thread. When I delete posts, that means the "witty" posts that All Y'all put up aren't left here for eternity, for all to enjoy. I know that sucks, but it is what it is.

Behave like humans, please.

Last edited by LAJ; 06-14-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 02:03 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Interesting. Say I'm riding a pair of Conti Gator Skins with butyl tubes before switching to a pair of Vittorai Corsa Speed tubeless. Everything else the same. How does it account for that significantly different rolling resistance?

How about rough roads versus smooth?

I can't quite get how it would account for rolling resistance changes.

Is powerpod the one that was talking about aero testing along with a strain-gauge power meter? I think that would actually be a pretty cool thing to work with. Could possibly dial in some aero refinements pretty quickly if it does it in real time.
Yep, https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...ic-sensor.html
Agreed that for that purpose it would be great. Would love to hear @RChung thoughts on the reliability for that purpose.

Last edited by redlude97; 06-14-18 at 02:03 PM. Reason: mention tags seem to not be working, RChung

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.