Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Before dawn and no lights

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-09-19, 07:30 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

The weather has gotten cooler in Houston and the number of riders on the shared use trails has increased exponentially. This morning i saw three cyclists, two of them commuting, and one getting exercise with no lights or reflectors. Another with no tail light and a front light of about 10 lumen.

Aside from the fact that they are putting their own lives at risk at intersections they are also endangering pedestrians and other cyclists.

Boggles the mind. Why?
Likes For Tombaatar:
Old 10-09-19, 07:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've given up trying to guess why people do stupid stuff, except as an intellectual exercise in speculation. (So sometimes I will talk politics...)

Perhaps, this early in the season, their lights gave out halfway through their rides. Battery capacity has decreased since last spring, or they don't have their charging schedule firmed up. Perhaps they have better night vision than you, and they can see fine, so they figure everyone else can see them. Perhaps it was well lit in front of their house or apartment, and they didn't realize until they were on the MUP how dark it was away from street lights. Perhaps they're just stupid. Perhaps you had your sunglasses on.

See, wasn't that fun?
Old 10-09-19, 08:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Lights get forgotten, or aren't charged...some people roll the dice on whether they need them wrongly...some people are dumb.
Old 10-09-19, 09:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Cat people?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-09-19, 09:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
TThis morning i saw three cyclists, two of them commuting, and one getting exercise with no lights or reflectors. Another with no tail light and a front light of about 10 lumen.

Aside from the fact ...
Also aside from the fact that you did see them, how could that possibly be? Perhaps the OP has cat vision to see allegedly invisible cyclists, or it wasn't that dark outside.
Old 10-09-19, 09:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I gave up worrying about them years ago.
Old 10-09-19, 09:59 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Also aside from the fact that you did see them, how could that possibly be? Perhaps the OP has cat vision to see allegedly invisible cyclists.
Is it your goal to just be snarky or do you just like to make dumb and irrelevant comments? I did see them once they were about 30 feet away.
Old 10-09-19, 10:04 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No one really needs to answer the question "Why?" It was rhetorical. It just amazes me how dumb people are. I feel sorry for the driver that plows into him at an intersection and then has to live with taking him out. A good percentage of the trail has no light at all. I actually had one dude yell at me for killing his night vision when I didnt even see him coming until he was 20 - 30 feet from me.

People are dumb.
Old 10-09-19, 10:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
The weather has gotten cooler in Houston and the number of riders on the shared use trails has increased exponentially. This morning i saw three cyclists, two of them commuting, and one getting exercise with no lights or reflectors. Another with no tail light and a front light of about 10 lumen.

Aside from the fact that they are putting their own lives at risk at intersections they are also endangering pedestrians and other cyclists.

Boggles the mind. Why?
I saw the same situation a month ago driving down Washington Ave. (4 lane street) to a downtown customer at 6:30am. It was dark out.

One guy on a road bike in road gear with only a rear red light. He was invisible from the front. He was riding in the left inbound lane for many blocks. I don't know what he had against riding in the right inbound lane, which caused traffic to pass him on the right.

Another guy on a MTB commuter with no lights whatsoever. He was invisible in all directions.

Both were going toward downtown. An HPD SUV passed both without even mentioning a thing to them, and that cruiser had a full size rear window graphic stating/showing the safe passing distance law for cars passing bicycles on the roadway.

And what I mean by invisible is you don't see the bicyclist until you are right on top of them in your 3500 to 5500 pound vehicle. Especially invisible because your eyes are being blasted by car head lights and your night vision is blown.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-10-19 at 07:21 AM. Reason: one typo of many
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-09-19, 11:59 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I almost got t-boned by one of these guys about two weeks ago. I was at a stop sign turning left and about to head up a pretty good hill. I looked very carefully as I always do and saw no cars, no lights, no movement, no nothing. 5 o'clock in the morning and still little overall traffic out. I eased forward and clipped in. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, a road bike screams past my front tire perpendicular to me, doing maybe, I don't know, 20 mph. We literally just missed each other. He said nothing, didn't stop, and just continued on down the street. He had no headlight of any kind, no reflectors, no rear lighting, and no reflective clothing. Riding in the pitch black. I had to stop just to catch my breath. Terrified.

Here, these guys usually ride against traffic, making it a bit easier to potentially see them from across the street as you pass them by. This one was in the bike lane like any other normal rider. He just couldn't be seen. With no reflectivity and no illumination, I had no shot. I was very lucky.
Old 10-09-19, 04:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
No one really needs to answer the question "Why?" It was rhetorical. It just amazes me how dumb people are. I feel sorry for the driver that plows into him at an intersection and then has to live with taking him out. A good percentage of the trail has no light at all. I actually had one dude yell at me for killing his night vision when I didnt even see him coming until he was 20 - 30 feet from me.

People are dumb.
I've had a few mention that to me too, I tell them I need lights to see them.
Old 10-09-19, 04:23 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by no motor?
I've had a few mention that to me too, I tell them I need lights to see them.
My lights irritate people all the time (yes, they are aimed down, they're just bright). I sometimes say I'm sorry but really, I'm not. I absolutely am in love with my lights. They keep me alive.
Old 10-09-19, 04:30 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Perhaps these people just have more faith in other people than the rest of us. Some close calls, but no mishap. No harm no foul? Whadya gonna do? I see a few of them too, sometimes going the wrong way. I'm always tempted to yell at them too when they pass, but I'm sure my words would be jumbled, much like idiot motorists and passengers who yell out their window at me sometimes.
Old 10-10-19, 06:32 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
My lights irritate people all the time (yes, they are aimed down, they're just bright). I sometimes say I'm sorry but really, I'm not. I absolutely am in love with my lights. They keep me alive.
Some lights are intended for night time mountain biking. Anything more than 1,000 lumen on a MUP is pretty inconsiderate i think. If you are on a road, go as bright as you wish.
Old 10-10-19, 07:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Salmon
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-10-19, 10:06 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
What are the local laws regarding lights? Most if not all of Phoenix and its suburbs require front light and at least a rear reflector, and generally it seems that most people do have some lighting on their bikes. Maybe if there isn't a law people just don't have the common sense to realize that being invisible is a good way to get run over by somebody who can't see them?
Old 10-10-19, 12:10 PM
bpcyclist

Here in Oregon, the law requires cyclists to have a white light in the front and either a red reflector or light to the rear in what it refers to as 'limited visibility conditions.' We have what I would term limited visibility conditions for a significant portion of the year because we are so far north and because it is so gray and dreary here during 'daylight,' which often doesn't look like daylight at all.
Old 10-10-19, 12:20 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by RoadKill
What are the local laws regarding lights? Most if not all of Phoenix and its suburbs require front light and at least a rear reflector, and generally it seems that most people do have some lighting on their bikes. Maybe if there isn't a law people just don't have the common sense to realize that being invisible is a good way to get run over by somebody who can't see them?
Here in Texas, the law is:

A person may not operate a bicycle at nighttime unless the bicycle is equipped with the following.
  1. Headlamp – a lamp on the front of the bicycle that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet in front of the bicycle.
  2. Red Reflector/Red Lamp – A bicycle must be equipped with either a red reflector which is visible from a distance of 300 feet from the rear of the bicycle, or a red lamp visible from a distance of 500 feet from the rear of the bicycle.
https://transport.tamu.edu/Alternati.../statelaw.aspx
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-10-19, 02:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I believe it's called "natural selection in action". Possibly the same reasoning cagers use (whatever it is) to drive with their lights off early in the morning. Grey vehicle on grey pavement in grey light; what could possibly go wrong?
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-10-19, 02:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Here in Texas, the law is:

A person may not operate a bicycle at nighttime unless the bicycle is equipped with the following.
  1. Headlamp – a lamp on the front of the bicycle that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet in front of the bicycle.
  2. Red Reflector/Red Lamp – A bicycle must be equipped with either a red reflector which is visible from a distance of 300 feet from the rear of the bicycle, or a red lamp visible from a distance of 500 feet from the rear of the bicycle.
https://transport.tamu.edu/Alternati.../statelaw.aspx
So the next question is how is nighttime defined in Texas law?

Compare the California Vehicle Code, which requires lights and reflectors during darkness, which is defined:

“Darkness” is any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet. (Cal. Veh. C. § 280)
Old 10-10-19, 03:02 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by caloso
So the next question is how is nighttime defined in Texas law?

Compare the California Vehicle Code, which requires lights and reflectors during darkness, which is defined:

“Darkness” is any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet. (Cal. Veh. C. § 280)
Sec. 541.401. MISCELLANEOUS TERMS. In this subtitle:

(1) "Daytime" means the period beginning one-half hour before sunrise and ending one-half hour after sunset.
. . .

(5) "Nighttime" means the period beginning one-half hour after sunset and ending one-half hour before sunrise.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/TN.541.htm

I didn't see a reference to darkness.
Old 10-10-19, 06:04 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
1,000 lumens on a MUP? Must be the Mupastrada! I tone my headlamp down to 300 L when I’m on my bikeway if it’s average weather

Some lights are intended for night time mountain biking. Anything more than 1,000 lumen on a MUP is pretty inconsiderate i think. If you are on a road, go as bright as you wish.
Old 10-11-19, 06:33 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
I am more worried about the 3 cars I saw this morning driving in the dark with no lights.
Likes For trailmix:
Old 10-11-19, 06:44 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
Front like rear reflector is the law. Not sure if that is a state law or a city ordinance.
Old 10-11-19, 06:53 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
1,000 lumens on a MUP? Must be the Mupastrada! I tone my headlamp down to 300 L when I’m on my bikeway if it’s average weather
My light is 700. I put it on low through the heavy pedestrian areas or divert the beam altogether.
Likes For Tombaatar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.