Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Medici Pro Strada

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 10:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Medici Pro Strada

I am going t

Unknown year Medici Pro Strada
o look at this bike this afternoon. The guy is selling it for his brother who moved out of the area and listed it at 58cm size. It looks slightly larger than that so I will look at it . I normally ride a taller frame 62-63. I have read a little about these bikes and this one looks like it is in good condition with some Campy stuff. The wheels look more modern than the rest of the bike with Aero spokes. He is asking$350.
Old 11-07-19, 10:47 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Sounds like a pretty fair deal for that bike. Cant tell from the pic but hopefully the wheelset at least has Campy hubs
Old 11-07-19, 11:07 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by DMC707
Sounds like a pretty fair deal for that bike. Cant tell from the pic but hopefully the wheelset at least has Campy hubs
They are Mavic wheels and I believe Miche hubs. I had the guy measure the frame and it turns out to be 60cm!I am thinking of offering 300. Joe
Old 11-07-19, 04:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
He had it listed at 400.00 for quite a while, had it been my size I would have bought it.
Ben
Old 11-07-19, 04:13 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
He had it listed at 400.00 for quite a while, had it been my size I would have bought it.
Ben
Yea I saw that and now it seems as though he wants to sell. I will meet him in the next hour. I will post an update after I see the bike. It looks like an early one. Joe
Old 11-07-19, 04:14 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Get the pump too.
Old 11-07-19, 04:22 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by trailangel
Get the pump too.
I will definitely make sure of that! Some of the pics on the ad shows it without the pump so I am hoping it is there!
Old 11-07-19, 06:08 PM
Kabuki12

Well I got it for$335. It hasn’t been ridden very much. The chain rings are in good shape and the anodize on the wheels is still there. The wheels and hubs are Mavic and the brakes are Gran Comp (Campy copies). It has wheel smith spokes that are blade type . The wheels spin true , the back wheel will need minor tune. The rd is patent 74 , the cranks are 82/83 mis match by one year. The stem is Cinelli black anodize and it has a GB handle bar( I have a Cinelli 2nd gen to put on).The guy said he has the original Campy brakes and will message me with a price. The Silca pump works great with a Campy head. The paint is pretty good with plenty of shine and the chrome is about an eight. That’s all for now, any ideas on value would be appreciated but I feel I did ok. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-07-19, 08:47 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
You done good. An old friend had one of those - very nice bikes.
Old 11-07-19, 10:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
You did just fine. I bought a '79 Medici with mostly Zeus components a few years back and paid right around $700 IIRC. If the angles are the same as mine I predict you're going to enjoy the ride. In my opinion these are seriously underrated frames; I'd sell my custom Sparrow before I'd sell my Medici

It is orange, correct? Sometimes my screen lies to me in its presentation; plus I don't think I've ever seen an orange Medici.

Hope we get a ride report soon; interested to read your riding impressions.

DD
Old 11-08-19, 02:37 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
You did just fine. I bought a '79 Medici with mostly Zeus components a few years back and paid right around $700 IIRC. If the angles are the same as mine I predict you're going to enjoy the ride. In my opinion these are seriously underrated frames; I'd sell my custom Sparrow before I'd sell my Medici

It is orange, correct? Sometimes my screen lies to me in its presentation; plus I don't think I've ever seen an orange Medici.

Hope we get a ride report soon; interested to read your riding impressions.

DD
It is an orange metallic that looks real nice on this bike. I plan to put on some fresh tires I already have , true the rear wheel , change free wheels and give it a test spin this weekend. I will post my ride report and some pictures very soon. It seems really light compared to some of my other steeds. Also have a set of titanium Superleggeri pedals that I will put on. Joe , smiling all the way!

Last edited by Kabuki12; 11-08-19 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 07:14 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
A nice bike at a nice price.

Five years ago, one would fetch $700 from the right buyer.

Nowadays it is worth what you paid.

Vintage market is super tough.
Likes For gomango:
Old 11-08-19, 08:57 AM
xiaoman1 

Great Buy!
Old 11-08-19, 12:56 PM
drewman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Well I got it for$335. It hasn’t been ridden very much. The chain rings are in good shape and the anodize on the wheels is still there. The wheels and hubs are Mavic and the brakes are Gran Comp (Campy copies). It has wheel smith spokes that are blade type . The wheels spin true , the back wheel will need minor tune. The rd is patent 74 , the cranks are 82/83 mis match by one year. The stem is Cinelli black anodize and it has a GB handle bar( I have a Cinelli 2nd gen to put on).The guy said he has the original Campy brakes and will message me with a price. The Silca pump works great with a Campy head. The paint is pretty good with plenty of shine and the chrome is about an eight. That’s all for now, any ideas on value would be appreciated but I feel I did ok. Joe
Great Craigslist Find! I had been looking at this bike as well but noticed that it was bigger than advertised. Actually spoke to him on the phone and pointed out the serial number showing that it was in fact a 60cm. I posted the bike for sale on "I Ride a Medici" just prior to you purchasing it. It looks like you've got yourself a really nice Medici. Will we be seeing you up in Cambria next April for Eroica?

Last edited by drewman; 11-08-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 01:19 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by drewman
Great Craigslist Find! I had been looking at this bike as well but noticed that it was bigger than advertised. Actually spoke to him on the phone and pointed out the serial number showing that it was in fact a 60cm. I posted the bike for sale on "I Ride a Medici" just prior to you purchasing it. It looks like you've got yourself a really nice Medici. Will we be seeing you up in Cambria next April for Euroica?
Yes, I will be at Eroica this next year. I got the super good early bird deal. I actually liked the Cambria venue even though it needed fine tuning. I am hoping that it will be up to Paso Robles standards or close. I was going to ride my Raleigh Competition this next year , but I am leaning toward the Medici . I plan to do a ride Sunday on it to check it out. The guy had some Campy NR/SR brakes and an extra freewheel for me so I am picking that up today. He had a set plus an extra caliper and it looks like some other bits, we'll see. I am putting a Brooks saddle on it today and new tires , maybe some shift cables. I actually like the wheels and hubs on this bike , not too sure about the aero brake levers , I am going to change that soon. Also putting on the Tianium Superleggeri pedals. I also posted on that "I ride a Medici" thing but I haven't registered the serial# yet. Thank you for all your help, I look forward to maybe meeting up with you in Cambria! Count the days and keep pedaling, Joe
Old 11-08-19, 02:24 PM
drewman

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Yes, I will be at Eroica this next year. I got the super good early bird deal. I actually liked the Cambria venue even though it needed fine tuning. I am hoping that it will be up to Paso Robles standards or close. I was going to ride my Raleigh Competition this next year , but I am leaning toward the Medici . I plan to do a ride Sunday on it to check it out. The guy had some Campy NR/SR brakes and an extra freewheel for me so I am picking that up today. He had a set plus an extra caliper and it looks like some other bits, we'll see. I am putting a Brooks saddle on it today and new tires , maybe some shift cables. I actually like the wheels and hubs on this bike , not too sure about the aero brake levers , I am going to change that soon. Also putting on the Tianium Superleggeri pedals. I also posted on that "I ride a Medici" thing but I haven't registered the serial# yet. Thank you for all your help, I look forward to maybe meeting up with you in Cambria! Count the days and keep pedaling, Joe
Joe, Looking forward to seeing you at Eroica up in Cambria on your new Medici! I have yet to register but will register asap to get the early bird deal... is the one you got different than what is being offered today? I will be registering myself and my two sons (ages 27 and 26) and we will ALL be riding Medici's Still in the process of obtaining and getting them ready ie looking for a campy gruppo for one and may need a set of wheels seats handlbars etc but we WILL all have nice Medici's for the total Eroica experience. I've also recently met a friend (Dan) who also will be riding a Medici and bringing others along on Medici's and as he has stated we will be "Team Medici"!
Old 11-08-19, 03:44 PM
Kabuki12

Joe, Looking forward to seeing you at Eroica up in Cambria on your new Medici! I have yet to register but will register asap to get the early bird deal... is the one you got different than what is being offered today? I will be registering myself and my two sons (ages 27 and 26) and we will ALL be riding Medici's Still in the process of obtaining and getting them ready ie looking for a campy gruppo for one and may need a set of wheels seats handlbars etc but we WILL all have nice Medici's for the total Eroica experience. I've also recently met a friend (Dan) who also will be riding a Medici and bringing others along on Medici's and as he has stated we will be "Team Medici"!
Sounds like Medici will be well represented! I registered a few months ago when they offered a special deal via email to those returning from previous years. I think it was $90 I could be wrong. I do early bird every year , but this was a super good deal. I went to see the guy I bought the bike from and picked up three Campagnolo Nuevo Record brake calipers, a rear flat record skewer in beautiful condition and an Everest 5 speed freewheel with not so little boy gears , all for $30! The brakes were lacking the adjusters and were real dirty but will clean up nicely. I look forward to meeting you in April, Joe
Old 11-08-19, 07:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
A nice bike at a nice price.

Five years ago, one would fetch $700 from the right buyer.

Nowadays it is worth what you paid.

Vintage market is super tough.
Even just two years ago; I reviewed my Medici thread and I paid $650 for mine.

But today? You're right, the market is really down in the dumps. Lucky for me I didn't get into this for the money

DD
Old 11-09-19, 06:52 AM
xiaoman1 

Just to put some perspective on your buy.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...016519218.html
Ben
Old 11-09-19, 07:58 AM
Kabuki12

Well, I have the bike apart and the derailleurs look fine and cleaned up nicely. The Dia Comp brakes seem really nice just dirty and they have newer Modolo pads.Eventually these will be Campy NR.The cable ends are tattered so they needed attention. The bottom bracket is rough after pulling the crankset so it will be addressed next. The headset is fine . Al Campagnolo Nuovo Record. The crankset is very nice with little wear no strap rub because it came with Look clipless pedals that are not going back on, a little chain dings from bad adjustments on FD. I am going to look through my free wheels to see which one will be used for the shakedown.i am really happy with what I see. Absolutely no rust or dings, good news for sure.
Old 11-09-19, 02:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
$350 for that orange Medici is a solid purchase- the kind to buy for the parts. Not worry about the frame price level.
Medici by and large are decent, the paint is variable. Started out well when Brian Baylis was painting them, dropped off when Gian was doing the work till he got the technique.
The problem depending on if you are buying or selling is that the "cognescenti" don't like the aura of the whole saga.

The only fellow who did well selling one that I am aware of was Ray Dobbins, off to France it went via an ebay sale. He cashed out and moved to South America.

I own one, I bought it relatively cheap, worth less today, so it goes.
Old 11-09-19, 09:39 PM
Kabuki12

I finished the assembly and the bike looks and rides really smooth. The Mavic cartridge bearing hubs spin nicely. The bottom bracket was full of grime and gunk. Cleaned up nicely and now is ready to test out. I will ride in to Ventura for my Sunday ride . I usually do 30-40miles so it will be a good test and I will look for a good backdrop for photos. Some of the mechanics were needing attention but all and all a real nice bike . The color is tangerine with a gold pearl and still in very good condition. I decided on an UnicaNitor saddle and it looks at home with the anodized Cinelli stem and dark wheels. The rear wheel now runs true. I put 25 cm Bontrager race lite tires I had in the attic. Joe
Old 11-10-19, 08:07 AM
drewman

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Joe, I wanted to let you know that I found a separate thread in this forum for the Eroica ride "Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!" It starts with the following and participants are providing details and pics of their Medici's. You may want to also include yours:

>> Ok, time to check in for Eroica California 2020 registrations. I'm collating separate CR and BF attendee Google spreadsheets (and yes, there will be some overlap) to gauge attendance and interest for the 2020 event. I hope everyone has encouraged someone they know or met to attend and ride. Hopefully, we'll exceed the 900+ Classic Eroica riders and the 200+ NOVA Eroica riders of 2019. I understand that many of the teething problems of last year’s first time in Cambria are being addressed so let’s support the ride organizers, and the Cambria organizers to make this 2020 event a great one!
Old 11-10-19, 11:30 AM
Kabuki12

Serial#60 01291
Joe, I wanted to let you know that I found a separate thread in this forum for the Eroica ride "Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!" It starts with the following and participants are providing details and pics of their Medici's. You may want to also include yours:

>> Ok, time to check in for Eroica California 2020 registrations. I'm collating separate CR and BF attendee Google spreadsheets (and yes, there will be some overlap) to gauge attendance and interest for the 2020 event. I hope everyone has encouraged someone they know or met to attend and ride. Hopefully, we'll exceed the 900+ Classic Eroica riders and the 200+ NOVA Eroica riders of 2019. I understand that many of the teething problems of last year’s first time in Cambria are being addressed so let’s support the ride organizers, and the Cambria organizers to make this 2020 event a great one!
Thank you I will update my post on that thread. I was going to ride my Raleigh Competition GS but now I am pretty certain it will be the Medici. The ride this morning went real well even though I was feeling ...not so good.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 11-10-19 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-11-19, 08:22 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
BTW, the Pro-Strada is the same basic graphics and name as used by Confente- the colors are inverted. Mario had yellow fill and a black drop shadow.
Bill Recht can be blamed for that.

What is stamped on the seat binder bolt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.