Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Tires for trail riding and road

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-28-12, 07:00 PM
Lobs616

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am hoping to pick up a 2011 Jamis Coda this week for a great deal. I do most of my riding on rails to trails which is mostly packed gravel but of course there is some dirt and some loose gravel. I would like to expand to more road riding as well. The tires on there are the stock 700x28s. I think I need something more in the 35 to 38 range. Any suggestions as to which specific tires to put on there? I want to keep the cost down if possible but I do want something that will not puncture easily.
Old 05-28-12, 07:31 PM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lobs616
So I am hoping to pick up a 2011 Jamis Coda this week for a great deal. I do most of my riding on rails to trails which is mostly packed gravel but of course there is some dirt and some loose gravel. I would like to expand to more road riding as well. The tires on there are the stock 700x28s. I think I need something more in the 35 to 38 range. Any suggestions as to which specific tires to put on there? I want to keep the cost down if possible but I do want something that will not puncture easily.
I've got a Trek 7100. I have cheap ol' Bontrager tires on it (35s) w/ some Mr. Tuffy tire liners in them. No problems so far. I put the tire liners in when I started getting a bunch of flats. They seem to be working pretty well.
Old 05-29-12, 06:03 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 149 Posts
Tire's for on and off road are always a compromise also i've had to find tire for the same reasons as you. I went for 35c Schwalbe Sammy Slicks, these tire's ultra fast rolling for hard packed dirt and road use and i've never had a puncture in the year or so i've had them.
Really cant think of a better tire for my hybrid "quality plus"

Old 05-29-12, 09:53 AM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on Rail Trails 70% of the time and pavement 30% and i really like the Schwalbe touring+ 700x32 tires
Old 05-29-12, 10:08 AM
Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up on Bonty tires since they seemed to wear out far too quickly - I was getting less than a year out of them. One tire brand I discovered when looking for a replacement was the Chin Shen (CST) line. Lots of sizes and patterns, durable and nicely priced. I put 700x38 CST Selecta Tires on my 7.5 FX and have over 15 months on them and the rear one is just starting to show wear.

The Selecta model would not be ideal for chat (packed gravel) - my rides are almost all on paved trails - but the brand or make has worked out well. Something like x38s do sound like a good idea for gravel.
Old 05-29-12, 12:27 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd keep the 700 x 28s. I ride mostly the road, but also do the hard packed trails. Any loose stuff is infrequent and can be handled with a secure grip and aggressive manipulation of the steering. I'd hate to give up the speed and easier going on the road and hard pack by going too much wider. That said, if you want a pretty good 38, the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo with either Mr. Tuffy liners or Specialized Airlock tubes are pretty puncture resistant. If you think you'll be in more loose stuff than not then the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo is worth considering.

Last edited by EsoxLucius; 05-30-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 03:01 PM
ChowChow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lobs616
Some 35mm tires.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...-t-serv-protex

Or cheaper.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...andonneur-tire
Old 05-29-12, 05:25 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I was happy with the Serfas Vida in a 700Cx32 that I had on my Allegro 1, when I had it set up as a "non-suspension" dual-sport, enough tread for hard pack dirt but still very flowing when using for road work, jmho, ymmv. BTW, the Vida comes in a 700Cx38 size also, FYI.