Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Marathon sizing 700x38 vs 700x35

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-09-20, 07:05 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I am looking at picking up a set of Schwalbe Marathon for an older t trek hybrid touring bike i am building up. I have built up the exact same model using 700x38 and it was just a mm away from the fender or so at the fork crown. The tires are really tall.

Curious to know if 700x35 would be much shorter..?? If it isnt id rather stick with the larger tires just because they seem more comfortable/versatile over the long haul and try and deal with the lack of clearance. In my previous build i have had sticks and even small stones get stuck in the tread and actually hit the fender at the crown. I dont suspect that little of clearance is great once you are out on tour. SOmtehing about that spells disaster...and it seems it could be avoided.
Old 01-09-20, 09:23 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
According to this site: https://bikecounterculture.com/2017/...er-calculator/ you are looking at 4 mm of difference, which, in terms of fender clearance, would only be 2mm difference. That seems like next to nothing, but if it's already tight clearance, it might be worth it to size down. I maxed out my tire size in relation to my fenders, and it was fine until I went through some mud. Then it was miserable, with me constantly stopping to clean out enough mud to move forward a little more. I do like a wider tire, though. If I were in your shoes, I might look at what my options might be for a fender with better clearance, or even one of those, under-the-downtube spray-catchers.
Old 01-09-20, 01:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
without photos, if its truly 1mm clearance, as you say yourself, its just too bloody close. I'd size down going from your own accounts of same bike/clearance.

do take into account the possibility of maybe dremeling out the fender top mount thingee, to bring the fender up a smidge, or even dremeling out some of the fender itself, to allow you to bring it further up. Ive seen someone here post photos of doing this, but having to add two mounts at the fork area, essentially splitting the front fender into two parts--but to me this is a lot of work, just go with slightly smaller tires like the 35 or 32s...
I put 32s regular marathons on an old trek hybrid with fenders and as you say about stuff getting stuck inbetween, it can happen and at a certain point you have to use common sense and just go with smaller tires (unless you go the "split fender in two" route, which is a bit complicated)
Old 01-09-20, 06:15 PM
scale

Originally Posted by djb
without photos, if its truly 1mm clearance, as you say yourself, its just too bloody close. I'd size down going from your own accounts of same bike/clearance.

do take into account the possibility of maybe dremeling out the fender top mount thingee, to bring the fender up a smidge, or even dremeling out some of the fender itself, to allow you to bring it further up. Ive seen someone here post photos of doing this, but having to add two mounts at the fork area, essentially splitting the front fender into two parts--but to me this is a lot of work, just go with slightly smaller tires like the 35 or 32s...
I put 32s regular marathons on an old trek hybrid with fenders and as you say about stuff getting stuck inbetween, it can happen and at a certain point you have to use common sense and just go with smaller tires (unless you go the "split fender in two" route, which is a bit complicated)

Yeah...i am not against cutting into the fenders around the crown to raise them up and then re-enforcing around that are if need be. I just dont want to do it if i dont have to. I dont have fenders yet and want to find some used so i wont feel so bad if i have to chop them up.
Old 01-10-20, 05:12 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
For my Jamis Renegade that I use on gravel, rail trail, towpath type rides, I put on the 35mm Schwalbe Marathons and they are plenty wide/comfortable/durable for those type of surfaces. I've done a few sections that were closer to technical trail riding and both the tread and the width weren't really up to that - at least at my skill level, since I'm 90% a road rider.
Old 01-10-20, 06:13 AM
djb

I too have regular marathon 35mm on a bike, a commuter, and they work well at proper pressures for my weight.

Re tire dimensions, don't forget that different room rim widths change a tires shape, so it's hard to get an exact measurement as it will depend on your rims.
Old 01-10-20, 07:18 AM
scale

Originally Posted by djb

Re tire dimensions, don't forget that different room rim widths change a tires shape, so it's hard to get an exact measurement as it will depend on your rims.
yeah..the rims i have are just a tad wider then road rims. They are the stock trek 36 hole titan rims if i recall correctly. I think i will try 35s and see if that is better.
Old 01-10-20, 07:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
mebbe try 38 rear, 35 front??
Old 01-10-20, 07:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I am looking at picking up a set of Schwalbe Marathon for an older t trek hybrid touring bike i am building up. I have built up the exact same model using 700x38 and it was just a mm away from the fender or so at the fork crown. The tires are really tall.

Curious to know if 700x35 would be much shorter..?? If it isnt id rather stick with the larger tires just because they seem more comfortable/versatile over the long haul and try and deal with the lack of clearance. In my previous build i have had sticks and even small stones get stuck in the tread and actually hit the fender at the crown. I dont suspect that little of clearance is great once you are out on tour. SOmtehing about that spells disaster...and it seems it could be avoided.
10mm of clearance at minimum. Its what I see on websites and fender packaging. You have tires that are too big for the frame to use fenders.
Or keep the 1mm of clearance and ride with an insane amount of caution since the odds of a stick or rock getting stuck in your front fender and flipping you over the bars is a lot more likely with such limited clearance.
Old 01-10-20, 03:33 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
For what it's worth, the newest pair of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses that I put on my wife's touring bike measured about one size smaller than stated, measured on two different rims. In other words the 38's that we purchased calipered at maybe 35 mm. But either way, you're running an unforgiving set up and hope you don't get a small piece of gravel to adhere to a tire via hot tar, as my wife once ruined her time trail bike that way when it wore a groove in the chain stay.
Old 01-10-20, 03:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
& can run the front at a lower pressure, that would make it narrower but probably also a smaller diameter
Old 01-11-20, 09:41 AM
scale

Here is a picture of the clearance with no fender. Seems like plenty of room. This is with the 700x38. Once you get the fender on there though it is extremely tight. Its probably save to say that a 35 wouldnt get me much more clearance. If i can find a good set of used 45c fenders i think i am going to try the cut out method on them and then run tab mounts on both sides of the fork doing some fancy dremel work.

Old 01-11-20, 05:37 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I so wish my Trek had been made for bigger tires. I switched to 35 Marathons (which was a huge improvement over the Conti TopTouring 32s that came stock) but now have only 6mm space between the fork crown and the tire. I feel like grinding some fork crown away so that I can fit a fender there.
Old 01-11-20, 05:57 PM
djb

Here is a picture of the clearance with no fender. Seems like plenty of room. This is with the 700x38. Once you get the fender on there though it is extremely tight. Its probably save to say that a 35 wouldnt get me much more clearance. If i can find a good set of used 45c fenders i think i am going to try the cut out method on them and then run tab mounts on both sides of the fork doing some fancy dremel work.

that doesnt look that bad, but of course I dont have the bike and fenders in front of me.
good luck with trying stuff
Old 01-11-20, 07:16 PM
scale

Originally Posted by djb
that doesnt look that bad, but of course I dont have the bike and fenders in front of me.
good luck with trying stuff

yeah with them off the bike it looks fine. That gap is about 10mm. Its very hard to tell what kind of gap i have once the fenders are on because you cant see up in there but it is tight.....i do know that. I hate to butcher a pair of fenders by cutting around the crown but thats better than the cost of getting strand due to a destroyed front wheel or ....worse....the emergency room visit or ride in the ambulance i guess.
Old 01-11-20, 07:29 PM
djb

I'm sure you can find some Images of mods that folks have done, and as you say, finding some used fenders would be nice to experiment on.
Old 01-25-20, 02:07 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
If you use narrower tires you could use narrower fenders and get the fenders higher into the crown with out cutting them. It is possible to heat form plastic fenders to fit all the way up. I would recommend solid color fenders. On my bike with clear and silver fenders the silver tape separated off with the heat.
Old 01-26-20, 09:50 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I can't help much with the fender clearance as I don't use fenders on my Trek 520, but I did run Marathon 700x35 for one season and found them a little narrow for the hilly, rugged roads I often find myself on. When I got a snakebite flat on one such rough road, I switched to the 700x38's, which I've been riding on ever since. 'Little apparent difference in rolling resistance, but noticeably more stable and robust on the downhiils and in the rough spots, and, knock-on-wood, no flats in 3 years. I guess the choice depends a lot on the nature of the roads you intend to ride on.
Old 01-26-20, 03:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Maybe consider 32mm for more safety on the front? Locking up the back wheel can be bad but locking up a front wheel can be catastrophic.

I wanted to put fenders on my road bike that has 28mm tires. It looked like plenty of room, I had some spare fenders, tried to install them and it was just too tight to be practical. Sometimes what looks like a lot of room isn't so roomy once you try it.
Old 01-27-20, 10:00 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Echoing what people are saying about the sizing.

I put Marathon Plus on my wife's bike. Went with 700 x 32 but they didn't look any/much wider than the 700 x 28s I pulled off.
Old 01-27-20, 10:04 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Wiggle
Echoing what people are saying about the sizing.

I put Marathon Plus on my wife's bike. Went with 700 x 32 but they didn't look any/much wider than the 700 x 28s I pulled off.
Time to put in the reading glasses then!
Old 01-28-20, 10:14 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Take a look on this site. Schwalbe Marathons are tested and the height (and other specs) are measured and discussed.

Good luck.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Likes For MAK:
Old 01-28-20, 11:35 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Marathons and similar Schwalbe with the 3 or 5 mm puncture layer and thick rubber tread are tall tires with a sloping peak compared most others, I think the wideness comparing two different sizes of the same tires is harder to visualize or notice because of that.

Originally Posted by hfbill
I can't help much with the fender clearance as I don't use fenders on my Trek 520, but I did run Marathon 700x35 for one season and found them a little narrow for the hilly, rugged roads I often find myself on. When I got a snakebite flat on one such rough road, I switched to the 700x38's, which I've been riding on ever since. 'Little apparent difference in rolling resistance, but noticeably more stable and robust on the downhiils and in the rough spots, and, knock-on-wood, no flats in 3 years. I guess the choice depends a lot on the nature of the roads you intend to ride on.
I've only had one set of Marathons and they were 26x1.75. I did a lot of off asphalt and even some single track on them. Relatively speaking, I found them to be a hard tire in general and even large adjustments in pressure did not provide much if any change in comfort. Never got a flat and great wear though.

Last edited by u235; 01-28-20 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 07:39 PM
scale

on my previous build i went with the planet bike fenders in a 45 width running a schwalbe marathon 38c tire. I think those fenders might only be rated to a 35c tire. I see almost no options for a 38c tire. I could maybe go with the PB 29er fenders but those are 65mm.....which would look huge. I dont imagine that would help the clearance issues either. Those babies are almost $65 a pop too....
Old 01-31-20, 07:45 AM
djb

on my previous build i went with the planet bike fenders in a 45 width running a schwalbe marathon 38c tire. I think those fenders might only be rated to a 35c tire. I see almost no options for a 38c tire. I could maybe go with the PB 29er fenders but those are 65mm.....which would look huge. I dont imagine that would help the clearance issues either. Those babies are almost $65 a pop too....
sorry but I dont recall all the details of stuff---but do you still own the fenders rated to about a 35? I guess you dont or you would have tried them on already...
I dunno, a couple of mm's, 1.5 more on either side cant make a real world difference, ie they would do their job most likely perfectly well on 38s also......again, armchair views here on my part...not in front of me.

also not sure if I already said, but your photo of clearance with the 38s LOOKS like fenders would fit in without being overly tight....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.