Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Cold Can You Handle Riding Bike in Winter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Cold Can You Handle Riding Bike in Winter?

Old 01-29-20, 02:24 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 160 Posts
I ride through the winters here in snowbelt N Michigan. The coldest I have been out was one evening at -14F, so beautifully calm I had to give it a try. It wasn’t a long ride. My main jacket is an Arctic Cat 2-layer, made for subzero snowmobiling. I don’t wear more than just a turtleneck shirt under it. Quite adequate for my 1-hr max rides. Lite longjohns and loose fitting jeans, adequate socks in light leather boots (platform pedals). Headwear is the basic Arctic Cat “chuke”. If any of that seems heavy, just factor in part of the workout. My training is shorter distance, less time and increased degree of difficulty. The point being is cardio health, strength to keep me in the game to lessen the shock of the first spring ride on the roadbike.
Old 01-31-20, 01:39 AM
RocHed11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
First of all I live in the Central Valley in California. We don't get extreme cold weather at any time. Winter temps generally range during the daylight hours from the upper 40's to upper 50's with occasional 60 approaching 70 a few times until mid February. A lot of days it is foggy or at least damp out.

To me that is miserable riding weather as I always under dress for the conditions. That seems to be my biggest learning curve at the moment. How much upper torso clothing to put on without overheating. Legs are fine with only shorts but with the constant damp air on my neck, face and hands. it makes me want to turn around and head back to my car.

I've only bee riding for 20 or so days so this in an ongoing learning process which I'll eventually figure out or else Spring will arrive and problem solved lol. I guess I've been venting-thank you for indulging me.

T
Old 01-31-20, 06:44 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RocHed11 View Post
I've only bee riding for 20 or so days so this in an ongoing learning process which I'll eventually figure out or else Spring will arrive and problem solved lol. I guess I've been venting-thank you for indulging me.
Be patient, it took me a couple of winters to finally figure what to wear. It's not like the summer where you wear the same thing at 70 as you would at 100. In the winter, what you wear at 50 is not what you wear at 40 is not what you wear at 35 etc. Takes a while to figure that all out, and each person is different.
Likes For JasonD67:
Old 01-31-20, 11:38 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Now that I have accumulated the correct clothing, I will ride down to just below freezing. Maybe colder if the wind isn't too bad and the roads are okay. The right clothing makes all the difference.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 01-31-20, 06:13 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 123 Posts
9*...half the bike stopped working...ice started to form...feet were fine...hands not so happy after 20 miles...better be at the end of your ride at this point!
15 miles was just about perfect on my MTB/hybidy Gary Fisher...it’s gone...
You have to dress for a walk home, too!
Old 01-31-20, 06:37 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Copenhagenize.com - Bicycle Urbanism by Design: Overcomplicating Winter Cycling - Why It's Bad
Old 01-31-20, 06:42 PM
kirby999

Bikes: Electra Fat Tire ,Specialized Rockhopper, Hardrock, Roll.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 365 Posts
Living in Georgia , weather can change drastically from day to day . Yesterday it was in the mid 60’s and sunny , today , low 40’s and wet .
If it’s sunny , I can handle mid 40’s , cloudy days , I need at least 50 or I’ll just wait for the weather to change .
BTW , I’ve lived all of my life here in Georgia and never had a desire to move farther north where it can stay cold for long periods .
Old 02-01-20, 05:47 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with "It's all about the clothing." I'm good down to about 5 F with my old cross-country ski gear, longjohns under my jeans, a double layer of face cover. As it gets much colder than that, I might want handlebar covers (don't know the name for those) in addition to thick ski mittens, and something more for my feet than shoes and double socks or super warm wool socks. At very cold temperatures, do you have to worry about the grease losing its effectiveness? I've not been there, I guess.

Salty slush on the chain is a big problem. This would be an issue whenever salt mix is on the streets, before they've been well cleared. There are other reasons I might not bike in that (too much power needed/too slow going.) Very frequent maintenance is required when riding through salty slush. Once I was more or less stranded at work because the chain rusted up while the bike sat in the warm storage locker. We're a mechanically-oriented business, though, and I found a can of oil, and freed it up so I could ride home.

Studded tires are absolutely a safety requirement for winter/snow/ice cycling. I have & can 100% recommend Nokian/Suomi W160 tires for average city winter cycling. I bought from Peter White Cycles - https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.php - can recommend him too.

Ha-I am recalling my teenage years in the '70s when I delivered the daily paper from atop a Schwinn Varsity. No studded tires in those days but somehow I survived. Older & wiser, maybe. Or older & bones are more brittle, and the awareness of that passes for 'wisdom' lol.

If you're riding in conditions that warrant studded tires, then probably fenders are a necessity too.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
I love my plastic Planet Bike fenders, but I don't think they make them anymore. They (Planet Bike) seem to have gone to all aluminum. The plastic was lighter, and more importantly (to me) they were quieter and didn't rattle at all. My experience is that the metal fenders need to really be secured well to keep them from rattling.
Huh. No more plastic fenders? I wonder if it's a safety thing. My bike dumped me once when the stay on the wiggly plastic Planet Bike front fender got caught in a sidewall tread block of the tire. My injuries were minor and the bike didn't suffer, but those fenders got removed immediately. That was a Surly LHT with the original Continental Contact (or something) 700c x 38 tires. My bike with fattish 559 wheels still has the plastic fenders on. The tire sidewall may be less prone to catch the wire stay, and the wider fender profile makes them less wiggly.

PaulH's link has this graphic. About sums it up for me. Use what you have, buy what you need after that.

Last edited by duffer1960; 02-01-20 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 06:00 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I really don't go out below 50 most often unless it is a group ride that results from some peer pressure. I have ridden in the 30's one Thanksgiving when I was alone while my wife traveled. Surprisingly, the roads were deserted and the ride not so cold even though I was living in the mountains and my ride was a 2o miler that day that paralleled a cold river! The body stayed fairly warm except my feet and my nose ran like a locomotive (full steam ahead)!

Now that I am much older than that date I am a fair weather rider as these bones hate cold weather.
Old 02-01-20, 07:27 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Weather is unstable here, Indianapolis that is. One day it's warm and stuffy and followed by rain and the temp drops like a stone next day or two. This cycle goes on every single week. Temp did dip down to just a tad over 10F lately. I often see high 20's and low 30's average. I really don't like the fact it rains so often as it makes it real bad for my biking. I don't want to ride in the rain in this cold weather cause I don't want to catch cold. I have some cheap thin rain jacket and pants I bought from Amazon but they don't seem to do well keeping water out. My butt got a little wet when I made home from the rain.

I also want to point out how amazing our body generates heat when we exercise. It takes away the cold and you don't need much clothing to ride a bike. Your body becomes the heater. Temp of low 30's is easy for me to handle. All I need is just two thin layers of shirts (one short sleeve, one long) and a thin jacket, a pair of sweat pants, a beanie hat and gloves. Anything higher temp causes me to sweat unless I make clothing less warm.. 20's F is a little bit in the cold side but I can manage fine by wearing a little thicker jacket.
However in the temp of teens it's painful....my face and ears hurt even though my ears are covered by the beanie. I also don't want to ride in the rain in the 30's....as I don't want to catch cold.

How cold can you guys handle riding bike in the winter? Are you man enough to ride in the 20's and 30's? and teens? I have to avoid going to work on days that are too cold (teens up to 20F). Thankfully my part-time job allows me to choose hours and days I want to work, and I can sign up for work to the last minute before the work starts. That is my huge help. It's been a challenge trying to work using my bike as I don't own a car... Do I need a better rain clothing to handle these cold & wet days? Sometimes I have no choice but to ride in the rain... if I don't go to work I don't get paid. Currently I work 2 to 3 days a week.
The best Extreme Weather Gear I have ever found is the Helly Hansen Vanir Slidr Jacket and Odin Skarstind Pant. Now this is extreme weather and is highly durable and abrasion resistant for hiking and climbing. But it is stylish, very flexible,lightweight and highly breathable for comfort. The Vanir Slidr Jacket is rated at 20,000gm Windproofness, 15,000gm moisture water vapor permeability, Extremely Breathable, Professional 3 layer construction with 100% Polymide Face and 100% Polyurathane back. The Odin Skarstind Pant is also 20,000gm Windproofness, 15,000gm moisture vapor permeability, highly flexible, and extremely breathable. It has 5 layer construction in wear zones and 3 layer construction outside of that.

Now these are not insulated. These are shells made to keep out the wind and moisture while being highly breathable to keep you comfortable and highly flexible to give you good range of motion like when pedaling or paddling. You layer underneath as conditions change during the day. The only way to go. Even though these are for the most harsh conditions, they breath so well you can use them as rain apparel in the summer. But I have had these on with just a Tesla Compression Shirt and a Light Helly Hansen Insulated Shirt in 26 degree wet weather with the wind howling off of Lake Pontchatrain making it even colder riding on the bike path on top of the Levee and it was not only tolerable it was totally comfortable and relaxed. I was laughing at the conditions.
They are that good. The only thing bad I can say about them is the pant has one zippered stupid pocket slanted over the thigh instead of conventional pockets.

The only problem is they are expensive. You have to wait for the end of the season and catch them on clearance. But the Vanir Slidr Jacket is on sale right now for $150. That is one of the reasons I am writing this...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-01-20, 09:27 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 141 Posts
One thing to notice in those pictures is that they cyclists have exposed skin. I certainly admire the folks who live in towns with a cycling culture, and we can learn a lot from them. With that said, the big cities of northern Europe are typically 20 - 30 degrees F warmer than cities in the central US during the winter. Also, they ride shorter distances. I've had people visiting Madison from Netherlands and Germany during the winter, they see my bike, ask me how far I ride, and tell me that I'm crazy.

The other thing is, Americans don't need to be reminded that gear recommendations from "enthusiasts" tend to be overblown, because we just ignore those people.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-15-20, 03:40 PM
RandyBaton

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say layers, but absolutly hate stopping once i've started, even for rain. For me the things I concentrate on are hands first, they can get cold but i've never had tehm too hot. then my face, then a gillet of some kind.
Old 02-15-20, 04:18 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 225 Posts
Winter riding is easy if you know how to dress...Cyclists who fail to stay warm is because they dress wrong... We have so many winter clothing choices available out there, it's hard to believe that people still haven't figured out how to dress.
Old 02-17-20, 05:36 AM
brianmatthew

Bikes: razor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my winter bike gears to ride bikes safely in winters. Its that easy.
Old 02-17-20, 09:12 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I have no cycling specific gear whatsoever, that goes also for winter. A winter/skiing jacket, regular leather boots with wool socks, a regular wool hat and a pair gloves is all that I need. Although I have a pair of LBS bought gloves for this season, they have no cycling specific features (like padding). Granted, my commute is just under 6 miles one way, i.e. 1/2 hour ride and I also don't ride when it's colder than -15 C. This winter it hasn't been below -3 C though. For rides that are over 2 hours, some better insulation for feet and possibly also a pair of knee warmers might come in handy, but I don't feel a great desire to go on longer rides during winter anyway.
Old 02-17-20, 02:21 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade View Post
I have no cycling specific gear whatsoever, that goes also for winter.
Neither do I... I never owned any cycling kit and I still manage to ride in colder conditions more often and for longer than cyclists with fancy fashionable cycling kits. Anything that is cycling specific is not very effective for extreme winter conditions.
Old 02-18-20, 11:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Beta, Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Winter riding is easy if you know how to dress...Cyclists who fail to stay warm is because they dress wrong... We have so many winter clothing choices available out there, it's hard to believe that people still haven't figured out how to dress.
People marvel at winter bicyclists yet those same people don't hesitate to go cross-country or downhill skiing. Dress in layers and have good quality warm socks and shoes and you should be fine. I just got back from a bicycle ride with 3 overnight stays in the woods and it snowed twice whilst I was out yet I was very comfortable the entire time.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-18-20, 12:30 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I grew up in Chicago and got all the arctic survival training I'll ever want in the 25 years I lived there. Spent the next 40 years getting my blood thinned in the relatively mild weather of the SF Bay area. I've also aged a bit since my last snowball fight and have come to value my comfort more than my ego. In other words, I've out grown the need to cause myself avoidable pain in an attempt to appear more "masculine". So if it's below 50 F or raining, I'm on the trainer with a screen full of Zwift in front of me.

Call me a wuss if you will, but I just don't feel the need to make myself uncomfortable to stay in good shape. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-18-20, 02:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 94 Posts
I've ridden in -27 degrees. Every year, I've participated in the Coldest Ride of the Year in Toronto. It gets uncomfortable only when you stop. I've dressed less than the people at the bus stop.
Old 02-18-20, 03:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Beta, Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
I grew up in Chicago and got all the arctic survival training I'll ever want in the 25 years I lived there. Spent the next 40 years getting my blood thinned in the relatively mild weather of the SF Bay area. I've also aged a bit since my last snowball fight and have come to value my comfort more than my ego. In other words, I've out grown the need to cause myself avoidable pain in an attempt to appear more "masculine". So if it's below 50 F or raining, I'm on the trainer with a screen full of Zwift in front of me.

Call me a wuss if you will, but I just don't feel the need to make myself uncomfortable to stay in good shape. Different strokes for different folks.
I took Arctic Warfare exercises whilst in the army. The biggest difference between Arctic winter and winter in the south is that in the south it's often cold AND wet whereas in the Arctic it's mostly cold and dry. That's why it can be so hard for many people in more southern winters to keep their feet dry = boots that'd be great for dry Arctic conditions aren't waterproof and the first puddle they ride through results in wet cold and later frozen feet.

Same goes for the cold. In the damp winters in the south that cold just penetrates everything.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-18-20, 07:42 PM
bmcer

In the Rogue Valley, the winters are cold and damp. Not unbearably so with highs running 40 - 50 and lows of 30 - 40. Wind is usually very light to dead calm. Personally, I think my escalating cold intolerance is a function of advancing years. I'm just thankful there are ways to cope.
Old 02-19-20, 03:16 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
In the Rogue Valley, the winters are cold and damp. Not unbearably so with highs running 40 - 50 and lows of 30 - 40. Wind is usually very light to dead calm. Personally, I think my escalating cold intolerance is a function of advancing years. I'm just thankful there are ways to cope.
I agree that there are ways to cope with cold and damp weather riding. It's far easier to cope with those conditions than to cope with high heat and high humidity.

Cheers
Old 02-19-20, 04:27 PM
bmcer

Couldn't agree more about heat and humidity in combination. That kind of weather laid me low ever as a youngster.
Old 02-21-20, 07:02 AM
RidingMatthew 
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
My coldest ride has been 13F. I have ridden in 37-39F and light rain with no problem as well. I have found that over 7 miles is when things like shoe covers wet through. ( i have showers pass socks and they work pretty well too) This month we have had 6"of rain normally only 2". I have to spray mildew remover from the north side of my house and shed. Ps I love having fenders they keep me drier in the Damp south.
Old 02-21-20, 09:02 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 165 Posts
Happy to say, the coldest I've ridden in is 37 Degrees F. I ride year round and here in Southern California near the coast it is rarely lower than that, thankfully.