Reload this Page >

It's not a hoax

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

It's not a hoax

Old 04-20-20, 01:08 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
A lot more things than a Corona will kill people. I don’t see panic and the “ZERO DEATH” mantra for that but you peeps panic on this. Hypocrisy at its finest.

When you put all that straw in your mouth, how do you avoid choking?

What "ZERO DEATH" mantra?

Uncontrolled spread will occur so fast that our entire medical system will collapse under the strain. You seriously don't think that will increase the mortality and morbidity from causes other than Coronavirus?
Old 04-20-20, 01:22 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
You seriously don't think
That pretty much encapsidates it.
Old 04-20-20, 02:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11811 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,761 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I read it on Fakebook, so it has to be true.
Well, Facebook is peer reviewed too.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-20-20, 02:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11811 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,761 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
I would trust a radiologist's advice about an epidemic about the same as I'd trust a dermatologist's reading of an ultrasound, Doge.
​​​​​​What about a weatherman?
Old 04-20-20, 03:12 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Maybe China would sell us the vaccine. Surely they have it.
But... would you really trust it?
I wouldn't trust a vaccine made in China, after all they are the ones who allowed this virus to spread on purpose.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-20-20, 03:29 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I wouldn't trust a vaccine made in China, after all they are the ones who allowed this virus to spread on purpose.
What!? Where do you get your info?
Old 04-20-20, 03:37 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Many of you think the Safety mantra only applies to corona and nothing else. Are you demanding that people quit taking drugs? Lots of overdose deaths in this country each year. You don’t appear to give a damn about that. Same is true for car wrecks, cancer and many other dangerous things. Should someone with a family history of cancer be able to have kids?

Hypocrites from start to finish.
Old 04-20-20, 03:41 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
You wouldn't??

Changsheng, a private company based in Jilin province, is under multiple investigations for fabricating inspection records for a rabies vaccine as well as selling at least 250,000 substandard DPT vaccines – for diphtheria, whooping cough, and tetanus – to health clinics in Shandong. Fifteen people, including the chairwoman of the company, have been arrested on “suspicion of criminal offences” while China’s top graft investigation agency has said it will investigate.

As China has expanded its immunisation program over the past decade, substandard vaccines have been a recurring issue. In 2016, $90m in vaccines were found to be stored improperly in Shandong province. The year before, hundreds of children in Henan province reportedly fell ill after being given out-of-date vaccines. In 2010, a newspaper in Shanxi province reported unrefrigerated vaccines had killed four children.Qi Jing, a single father in Chongqing, in south-western China, says his three-year-old daughter received vaccines from Changsheng and another company implicated this year for faulty vaccines, Wuhan Institute of Biological Products. Following the news of Changsheng’s counterfeits, he organised a group of about 60 parents to demand information. He was detained this week and questioned by police.

“Right now what the government does is conceal, and control public opinion. Making any sound is difficult,” Qi says. He adds police advised his group to focus on the companies rather than the government.

“The fault is first and foremost on the regulators. If they were looking after public health as they should, companies couldn’t produce counterfeits and would have no choice but to be responsible,” he says.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...answers-rabies
Old 04-20-20, 03:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 263 Posts
My safety mantra is "don't feed the trolls".
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-20-20, 04:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 4120 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 416 Posts
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 04-20-20, 04:07 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 136 Posts
^^ Isn't he sporting a Chinese made SKS chambered in 7.62 x 39mm?
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-20-20, 04:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​What about a weatherman?
Meteorologists do know a lot about hot air...

Poor Cliff isn't wrong in his determinations about air circulation, but that social distancing thing is going to be tough to achieve once people have a place to congregate. Ohio has implemented a 'soft' closure by closing all improvements at the state parks so there's no latrine and no park office. City parks have closed porta-potties and taped off play equipment, but still act as a magnet for congregating. I'm happy with the approach, we don't have 'park monitors' hassling anyone and most people seem to be trying to follow the distancing and PPE recommendations.

I wanted to turn this into a Green Eggs and Ham moment, but then I remembered that my least favorite Ted tried that before the passage of the ACA, and it blew up in his face because he didn't read the book and know the outcome.
Old 04-20-20, 07:13 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Dr. David Gorski on the unholy alliance between COVID-19 pandemic deniers and anti-vaxers.

I fear that this alliance between COVID-19 cranks with the antivaccine movement, with its cross-fertilization of rhetoric and tactics, particularly when fueled by funding and support from various political groups pushing to “reopen America”, has the potential to make the pandemic so much worse than it had to be. The only bright side I can see is this. Although all but a handful of hard core antivaxxers will never change their opposition to vaccines, the pandemic might make the public less forgiving of these cranks:
Science Based Medicine
Old 04-20-20, 07:17 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Ain’t no vaccine for covid and ain’t one coming for a long time

what are you planning for the 30 million without jobs and everything health related with that?

and everything needs shutdown except pot stores and liquor stores? You peeps ok with those covid deaths then because according to you folks they will be getting/givin covid by their actions?

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 04-20-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 07:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
It's just due to proximity. Nothing suspicious. I've been around actors and entertainers since I was a kid in NYC. My stepdad was a filmmaker -- nobody you ever heard of but he had a knack for turning on the charm and schmoozing. And I've done theater, a ton of auditions, been an extra in a couple of movies, been acquainted with several actors who've called Texas home at some point, attended a lot of workshops and functions related to acting and productions. There's a lot more socializing in the entertainment biz than in most jobs, with almost exponentially larger affected circles of acquaintance and contacts. That's also true of some other jobs, but entertainers are also very huggy, touchy people. There's a lot more protracting handshakes (more like holding hands for awhile), hugging, kissyface hellos and goodbyes than in most jobs even when the other jobs involve comparable numbers of contacts, travel, etc. Corporate folks, athletes, etc., don't do a lot of hugging and kissing of everyone they meet. Even musicians and fine artists aren't nearly as huggy, touchy, kissy as actors.
Yeah, I used to work in a music-venue night club & the stars would rarely mingle with the fans. Anyway even for celebs that do much greeting & hugging, the infection rate seems quite disproportionate, & we see not just any actor but #1 star Tom Hanks; not just any opera singer but #1 famous Placido Domingo; not just any world leader but #2 famous Boris Johnson. I could be charitable & think that they were told falsely that they tested positive but really I think they're just putting on another performance. Hanks, in particular has been in several movies with a strong propaganda tinge.

I think we're seeing less transparency worldwide because many superpowers have joined the trend toward authoritarian regimes, which by nature are hyper-controlling, secretive and discourage transparency. Transparency and international cooperation were related to the now-fading post-Enlightenment classical liberal governments (in the traditional sense of the word, not the pejorative "LiBruL!" epithet so popular nowadays). The current authoritarianism trend will hinder efforts to get useful studies for years. Eventually historians, investigators, journalists and documentarians will sort out the facts but for now there's a lot of guesswork.

And the revolution in the news media, from print and broadcast to digital has both forced and enabled the biasing of how news is presented and prioritized in favor of clickbait. There may be useful, objective and verifiable news elsewhere in the article or on the news website, but their main priority is usually luring eyes onto the page for ad revenue.
News media has changed but even in the old days there was basically zero attention given to alternative views. Nowadays many newspapers & TV channels are unprofitable but they exist to transmit propaganda. If they wanted to make money some would seek a niche by promoting a skeptical view but we don't see that. Any future historians & investigators who report the truth will be relegated to the sidelines. As a little kid I remember seeing TV news reports on the weekly Vietnam War casualties & was struck by the incredible disparity between US & "enemy" casualties. Decades later it was quietly admitted that those stats were faked but 99% of folks never heard that.
Old 04-20-20, 07:52 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 593 Posts
Send in the quacks
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-20-20, 08:06 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17830 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
...I don't understand how Dr. Phil even got involved in all of this. Everyone knows that Dr Oz is the real pandemic expert.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-20-20, 08:08 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
Yeah, I used to work in a music-venue night club & the stars would rarely mingle with the fans. Anyway even for celebs that do much greeting & hugging, the infection rate seems quite disproportionate, & we see not just any actor but #1 star Tom Hanks; not just any opera singer but #1 famous Placido Domingo; not just any world leader but #2 famous Boris Johnson. I could be charitable & think that they were told falsely that they tested positive but really I think they're just putting on another performance. Hanks, in particular has been in several movies with a strong propaganda tinge.

News media has changed but even in the old days there was basically zero attention given to alternative views. Nowadays many newspapers & TV channels are unprofitable but they exist to transmit propaganda. If they wanted to make money some would seek a niche by promoting a skeptical view but we don't see that. Any future historians & investigators who report the truth will be relegated to the sidelines. As a little kid I remember seeing TV news reports on the weekly Vietnam War casualties & was struck by the incredible disparity between US & "enemy" casualties. Decades later it was quietly admitted that those stats were faked but 99% of folks never heard that.
Dobroye utro tovarishch!
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-20-20, 08:10 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

https://www.newsandguts.com/opinion-...-be-a-mistake/
Old 04-20-20, 08:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
^^ Isn't he sporting a Chinese made SKS chambered in 7.62 x 39mm?
AK, but could be Chinese made or any of a dozen other contractors. Those things were a quarter a dozen back in the 1990s. The SKS was almost literally a dime a dozen in the 1990s, mostly Norinco. Ugly and thoroughly functional. Both were among the few to continue functioning at least somewhat after being dunked in mud.

Still, yeah... the irony is strong with this feller. Although with that uniform I suspect he's trolling.
Old 04-20-20, 08:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 699 Posts
...I could be charitable & think that they were told falsely that they tested positive but really I think they're just putting on another performance. Hanks, in particular has been in several movies with a strong propaganda tinge.
Hanks is just an actor with a broad resume of roles that defy any easy political or cultural categorization. There's less here than meets the eye.

True to some extent but buying into the notion that it's all "fake news" propaganda and mind control is just buying into the divisive nihilism that's designed to feed fear, tribalism and weaken us as a nation.

We're capable of ferreting out facts and deciding for ourselves, while remaining open to correction as new facts emerge. We don't need to buy into anyone's pre-packaged divisive ideology.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-20-20, 08:51 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts

Tin foil had alert!
Likes For OBoile:
Old 04-20-20, 09:03 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Dr. David Gorski on the unholy alliance between COVID-19 pandemic deniers and anti-vaxers.

Science Based Medicine
USA medical "science" is largely funded by oligarchical corporate interests that ignore anything that interferes with profits. In the 1920's German researchers found that tobacco use caused cancer but US doctors denied that for decades. Over 100 years ago, independent health researchers claimed that hydrogenated fats (like margarine) were indigestible poison but the mainstream docs told folks that margarine was healthier than butter. Only fairly recently did the "scientists" admit that trans-fats were bad. Back around 1900 the AMA lobbied to ban midwives which actually increased childbirth deaths. They say that numerous FDA folks were opposed to permitting aspartame so Searle hired war-criminal Donald Rumsfeld to push that through. & now when we watch the news, half of the ads are by drug companies pushing prescription medicines.
Old 04-20-20, 09:57 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Many of you think the Safety mantra only applies to corona and nothing else. Are you demanding that people quit taking drugs? Lots of overdose deaths in this country each year. You don’t appear to give a damn about that. Same is true for car wrecks, cancer and many other dangerous things. Should someone with a family history of cancer be able to have kids?

Hypocrites from start to finish.
Strawman argument right there, you really have no idea what the "many" think about the issues you raised, you are just making stuff up now. Pro-tip: people who have enough empathy to worry about others dying unnecessarily because of the whims of a few impatient morons ARE probably concerned about drug ODs, car wrecks and cancer, and, chances are, have way more coherent views about such things.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-20-20, 10:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 150 Posts
There is some big money behind those protesters.

Thankfully Rupert Murdoch's minions here in Australia didn't get much traction with their "the cure is worse than the disease" BS. But not through lack of trying! Every News Corp news paper was running anti-shut down opinion pieces. Still are, even though within a few weeks we're expecting to have eradicated the virus. We also don't have the proliferation of dark money Think Tanks to astroturf protests. We do have a thing called the Institute of Public Affairs, who's mission, paradoxically, is to privatise every thing. Rupert Murdoch is a major donor.
Likes For Trevtassie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.