Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

It's not a hoax

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

It's not a hoax

Old 04-20-20, 10:22 PM
  #451  
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,133

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Dobroye utro tovarishch!
Cute but Russia has also ordered lockdowns.

Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Tin foil had alert!
To me what's crazy is to believe anything the media/gov't puts out. I'm probably one of the few people who remember the (70's/80's) Wall St-engineered push to shut down hospitals. TV news would frequently squawk about "excess hospital beds" (esp community hospitals) were raising costs. They said the HMO system would also save consumers money, of course medical costs continued to skyrocket.
DropBarFan is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 12:13 AM
  #452  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,566

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17855 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 1,122 Posts
.
...in times of serious trouble, (like a mysterious viral pandemic, for example,) there is great comfort in conspiracy theories. In every conspiracy theory, at least we have someone who is secretly pulling the strings and knows exactly what's going on. It's much more frightening to think that something is rampaging out of control, and nobody in the organization tasked with controlling it has the first ******g clue. Randomness scares people, and conspiracy puts it all back in order.
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-21-20, 02:01 AM
  #453  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,542

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 153 Posts
It's looking increasingly scary by the day... just the sheer randomness of it... lungs, heart, liver, kidneys with potential involvement... https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...wpisrc=nl_most
Trevtassie is offline  
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-21-20, 04:31 AM
  #454  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Strawman argument right there, you really have no idea what the "many" think about the issues you raised, you are just making stuff up now. Pro-tip: people who have enough empathy to worry about others dying unnecessarily because of the whims of a few impatient morons ARE probably concerned about drug ODs, car wrecks and cancer, and, chances are, have way more coherent views about such things.
only facts but those facts donít fit your narrative so you wonít listen

Why are you a hypocrite?
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 04:47 AM
  #455  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,542

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
only facts but those facts donít fit your narrative so you wonít listen

Why are you a hypocrite?
Haven't seen any facts from you. A whole bunch of assertions that's all... just repeating something doesn't make it true.
Trevtassie is offline  
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-21-20, 05:03 AM
  #456  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,198

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Many of you think the Safety mantra only applies to corona and nothing else. Are you demanding that people quit taking drugs? Lots of overdose deaths in this country each year. You donít appear to give a damn about that. Same is true for car wrecks, cancer and many other dangerous things. Should someone with a family history of cancer be able to have kids?

Hypocrites from start to finish.

Are you claiming that we as a society do nothing about those? You keep trying this line, and it's just stupid.

You have a good method of getting people to stop giving themselves overdoses? We're all ears.

The point you keep missing is that this is millions of avoidable deaths in the very near term, and you're advocating for just letting them happen. Also, if you let the virus overwhelm the medical system, deaths from cancer, auto accidents, heart disease and pretty much everything else will skyrocket as people won't be able to get needed medical assistance.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-20, 05:10 AM
  #457  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
So.. no better way than to hurt 30,000 Americans who have lost their jobs?

thats a health crisis in itself

put in more precautions and do normal stuff like hand washing (you should do that anyway) and get the folks back to work

the math isn’t supporting shutdowns
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 05:12 AM
  #458  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,198

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
only facts but those facts don’t fit your narrative so you won’t listen

Why are you a hypocrite?

You don't even know what a fact is.

We're listening to you, but all you say is completely inane and insulting.

Remember when you kept saying this wasn't a threat in the US because there were only 1200 confirmed cases? You kept saying that was a fact, too.
Why are you so willfully ignorant?

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-21-20 at 05:18 AM.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 06:28 AM
  #459  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
No compassion for Americans. Only selfish ignorance of facts.
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 06:53 AM
  #460  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,198

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
No compassion for Americans. Only selfish ignorance of facts.

You've described yourself to a T.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-20, 06:59 AM
  #461  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,542

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
No compassion for Americans. Only selfish ignorance of facts.
While those "open up" mouth breathers have been distracting everybody, your cheeto in chief has been busy preparing to kill more people with CANCER!!! https://cen.acs.org/environment/poll...98/web/2020/04
Yep. He really doesn't give a toss about the people. He only cares about making rich people richer, after all the people he kills with his current ravings, and the ones he will kill by increasing pollution aren't likely to vote for him anyway. Hard to vote when you are dead.
Compassion sometimes means saving people from their own stupidity, especially when that stupidity also harms others. PS do I get bonus points for all caps and exclamation marks?
Trevtassie is offline  
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-21-20, 08:50 AM
  #462  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,566

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17855 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Haven't seen any facts from you. A whole bunch of assertions that's all... just repeating something doesn't make it true.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 08:54 AM
  #463  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,566

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17855 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 1,122 Posts
This message is hidden because Rajflyboy is on your ignore list.

...this is only my own personal solution, but it's working well for me. The magical flying boy wallpapered teh P+R for a while over the past few weeks. So he's probably not going away, and responses just seem to make him more insistent. Just sayin'.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 08:57 AM
  #464  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Corona unfortunately has made many people become selfish and scared
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 09:01 AM
  #465  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
While those "open up" mouth breathers have been distracting everybody, your cheeto in chief has been busy preparing to kill more people with CANCER!!! https://cen.acs.org/environment/poll...98/web/2020/04
Yep. He really doesn't give a toss about the people. He only cares about making rich people richer, after all the people he kills with his current ravings, and the ones he will kill by increasing pollution aren't likely to vote for him anyway. Hard to vote when you are dead.
Compassion sometimes means saving people from their own stupidity, especially when that stupidity also harms others. PS do I get bonus points for all caps and exclamation marks?
plenty of things harm others but you donít care about that (only corona)
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 09:02 AM
  #466  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 20,997
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 119 Posts
funny.

The way to mitigate the impact of the disease until there's a vaccine might be to isolate, but it's anything but selfish. It's actually a beautiful selfless act of caring for not only oneself but for all of humanity. It places the immediate desires of the individual on hold for what's of benefit for the greater whole. It's a shame the term socially isolate became the term de rigueur. It doesn't really capture the heart of what's occurring.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 09:02 AM
  #467  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,198

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
So.. no better way than to hurt 30,000 Americans who have lost their jobs?

thats a health crisis in itself

put in more precautions and do normal stuff like hand washing (you should do that anyway) and get the folks back to work

the math isnít supporting shutdowns

The math is showing that social isolation has been very effective in stemming the spread. You're just lying about understanding it or knowing what the implications are.

You want to get people to get back to work, start doing enough testing so we can make the shutdowns more targeted. You've been against that, I guess you'd rather let people starve or die rather than getting your nose swabbed.

You keep spamming this crap as you are still too ignorant to know you're ignorant.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-20, 09:03 AM
  #468  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
No compassion for Americans. Only selfish ignorance of facts.
You know, it's okay to admit you were wrong all along.
OBoile is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 09:07 AM
  #469  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 7,198

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
funny.

The way to mitigate the impact of the disease until there's a vaccine might be to isolate, but it's anything but selfish. It's actually a beautiful selfless act of caring for not only oneself but for all of humanity. It places the immediate desires of the individual on hold for what's of benefit for the greater whole. It's a shame the term socially isolate became the term de rigueur. It doesn't really capture the heart of what's occurring.

I also think the likelihood is we'll have effective antivirals well before the vaccine.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-20, 09:26 AM
  #470  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
skookum is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 09:27 AM
  #471  
Rajflyboy
Banned.
 
Rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 1,293

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Some of you just don’t care about your fellow Americans. Many of you have jobs and money coming in but you could care less about the well being of others who aren’t so lucky with Corona.

80% of corona deaths are coming from assisted living centers (many with pre existing conditions)

we won’t know full details of Corona for many many years

with known numbers death rate is around 2% (probably much less because we have no idea how many folks had corona and did not know it)

Quit only thinking about yourself. Drop the selfishness
Rajflyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 10:00 AM
  #472  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,253

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
The math is showing that social isolation has been very effective in stemming the spread. You're just lying about understanding it or knowing what the implications are.

You want to get people to get back to work, start doing enough testing so we can make the shutdowns more targeted. You've been against that, I guess you'd rather let people starve or die rather than getting your nose swabbed.

You keep spamming this crap as you are still too ignorant to know you're ignorant.
You two might need your own thread so you can work out that tension.
Unca_Sam is online now  
Old 04-21-20, 10:29 AM
  #473  
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,789

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...in times of serious trouble, (like a mysterious viral pandemic, for example,) there is great comfort in conspiracy theories. In every conspiracy theory, at least we have someone who is secretly pulling the strings and knows exactly what's going on. It's much more frightening to think that something is rampaging out of control, and nobody in the organization tasked with controlling it has the first ******g clue. Randomness scares people, and conspiracy puts it all back in order.
I hate to start these type of rumors, but my take is that CV19 is conspiring with human cells to make copies of itself.
noisebeam is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 10:46 AM
  #474  
CycleryNorth81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 691

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 76 Posts

Ohio man, 60, who blasted COVID-19 lockdown as 'political ploy' and said stay-at-home orders were 'b*****t' dies after contracting coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 10:47 AM
  #475  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
You don't have to read this whole topic, here is an article that explains all the current conspiracy theories in one place. Pick the one you like and go with it.

COVID: Top 10 current conspiracy theories
skookum is offline  
Likes For skookum:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.