Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-24-20, 04:57 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 119 Posts
What constitutes freedom of speech will be tested in the years to come due to the wild west that has become social media. Misinformation is not a right, and lest the general masses have some reliable way to get accurate information our society just simply won't be able to function. Conspiracy theories were once a cute detraction from reality. Now they become presumed fact with a retweet. It's not sustainable.

Last edited by gsteinb; 04-24-20 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-24-20, 05:09 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Who controls the Internet and who controls the news media ??
I'm pretty confident the internet is a free for all, from what I can see. You generally can't post kiddie stuff on the open web, but they even have a special dark web for that. Beheadings are OK though...
News must be unregulated however, otherwise Fox and Sky would have been put out of business by advertising standards....
Old 04-24-20, 05:12 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 154 Posts
Can we get Dettol Donnie trending please?
Old 04-24-20, 05:51 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 101 Posts
Fron the New York State Department Of Emergency Management,...
Old 04-24-20, 07:26 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 405 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Fron the New York State Department Of Emergency Management,...
States' rights vs Oval Office. Then there's free enterprise. Every time one of those bottle is consumed as a COVID cure, more stockholders make money. Supreme Court? And how will that go?
Old 04-24-20, 07:50 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
States' rights vs Oval Office. Then there's free enterprise. Every time one of those bottle is consumed as a COVID cure, more stockholders make money. Supreme Court? And how will that go?
My take on it?
Old 04-24-20, 11:55 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Who controls the Internet and who controls the news media ??

Me.

Sorry, I'm trying to do it better. I've got my people working on a major series of persuasive cat memes that should get the country taking massive doses of beer and Ex-lax next week.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-20, 06:28 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
What constitutes freedom of speech will be tested in the years to come due to the wild west that has become social media. Misinformation is not a right, and lest the general masses have some reliable way to get accurate information our society just simply won't be able to function. Conspiracy theories were once a cute detraction from reality. Now they become presumed fact with a retweet. It's not sustainable.
I agree. The initial curtailment of freedom of speech was the realization that public safety matters. You can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater was the famous example. It seems that the logic follows you can't proclaim a cure or treatment if you know it isn't true. That will lead to a further expansion of what isn't considered free speech.
Old 04-25-20, 08:30 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17855 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Me.

Sorry, I'm trying to do it better. I've got my people working on a major series of persuasive cat memes that should get the country taking massive doses of beer and Ex-lax next week.
...may I speak honestly to you here as a friend ? Memes are so last year. They hardly convince anyone any more. Cat gifs are where the action is.
Old 04-25-20, 11:32 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...may I speak honestly to you here as a friend ? Memes are so last year. They hardly convince anyone any more. Cat gifs are where the action is.
Damn,...forgive me, for I have sinned,...
Old 04-25-20, 02:27 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
I agree. The initial curtailment of freedom of speech was the realization that public safety matters. It seems that the logic follows you can't proclaim a cure or treatment if you know it isn't true.
I agree that it's all done in the name of safety and protection...and yet we have POTUS stand in front of billions of people and say that people should try" his new cure" by injecting Lysol into their bodies to kill covid19...POTUS is a very funny guy, we need some humour in these dark times LOL
Old 04-25-20, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post

I always say cat memes have 9 lives. Just when you think they're done, BLAMMO!

I'm just letting people post the lame ones so they won't expect what's coming.

I'll excuse your impertinence this time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-20, 03:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 169 Posts
I agree that it's all done in the name of safety and protection...and yet we have POTUS stand in front of billions of people and say that people should try" his new cure" by injecting Lysol into their bodies to kill covid19...POTUS is a very funny guy, we need some humour in these dark times LOL
I'm thinking he might should be charged with involuntary manslaughter by some brave state district attorney.

​​​
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 04-25-20, 05:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Quoted: 3696 Post(s)
Liked 1,155 Times in 656 Posts
A comment on the fire in a theater thing
Old 04-25-20, 05:19 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 468 Posts
"Fire in a crowded theater!" I always wanted to yell that out. Oh well, while I'm at it, "I declare bankruptcy!!!"
Old 04-25-20, 06:04 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Who has a thumb and likes to learn? This guy .
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-25-20, 06:27 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Old 04-25-20, 06:35 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Can you honestly say this is not convincing evidence of something ?

Old 04-25-20, 06:49 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
China- yes, the internet and media are CONTROL by the government.
North America- no, the internet and media are REGULATED by the government. There is a difference between Control and Regulation.

Are you living in China?
North America internet is basically unregulated in any transparent way. No meaningful anti-trust actions vs Google, Amazon & other monopolies. US played at anti-trust action vs MicroSoft which came to naught; Europe made them separate the browser, not a big deal. Amazon is a major gov't contractor now--local gov'ts falling all over themselves giving Amazon huge subsidies to locate headquarters there. Google is also a major gov't contractor. So these companies have a clear incentive to co-operate with the gov't agenda, but by being nominally private, the censorship escapes 1st Amendment concerns. Works out great for everybody except the public. With COVID the censorship is justified on grounds of public safety but the censorship started years ago.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 04-25-20, 07:44 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
North America internet is basically unregulated in any transparent way. No meaningful anti-trust actions vs Google, Amazon & other monopolies. US played at anti-trust action vs MicroSoft which came to naught; Europe made them separate the browser, not a big deal. Amazon is a major gov't contractor now--local gov'ts falling all over themselves giving Amazon huge subsidies to locate headquarters there. Google is also a major gov't contractor. So these companies have a clear incentive to co-operate with the gov't agenda, but by being nominally private, the censorship escapes 1st Amendment concerns. Works out great for everybody except the public. With COVID the censorship is justified on grounds of public safety but the censorship started years ago.
Your statement is confusing and contradictory. One statement is that they are partners (“Amazon is a major gov't contractor now--local gov'ts falling all over themselves giving Amazon huge subsidies to locate headquarters there. Google is also a major gov't contractor. So these companies have a clear incentive to co-operate with the gov't agenda….").

In another statement you are stating the government is not able to regulate them (“US played at anti-trust action vs MicroSoft which came to naught; Europe made them separate the browser, not a big deal.”).

It they are partners, why would the government want to regulate them? They are already working together.
Old 04-25-20, 08:03 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

It they are partners, why would the government want to regulate them? They are already working together.
...see post # 619. You're welcome.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-25-20, 10:03 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Your statement is confusing and contradictory. One statement is that they are partners (“Amazon is a major gov't contractor now--local gov'ts falling all over themselves giving Amazon huge subsidies to locate headquarters there. Google is also a major gov't contractor. So these companies have a clear incentive to co-operate with the gov't agenda….").

In another statement you are stating the government is not able to regulate them (“US played at anti-trust action vs MicroSoft which came to naught; Europe made them separate the browser, not a big deal.”).

By "regulate" I mean published rules, not tacit cooperation. I did not say gov't is "not able" to regulate, I mean that gov't does not want to regulate. "Regulation" is quite different than "control".

BTW interesting that US 'newspapers of record' hypocritically supported a certain President's repeal of Net Neutrality.
Old 04-26-20, 08:05 AM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Don't know where Wolfchild is getting his news about COVID 19 in Hong Kong, I would send you a link but I am pretty sure you don't read Mandarin. I would look to Taiwan and South Korea who prevented shuttering of businesses due to aggressive mass testing, contact tracing and heavy financial fines for breaking quarantine. The United States did none of the above when it counted, Shiite, nada, zip and you guys had the intel in November and CDC was warning about it in Jan and Feb in their MMWR reports which are open to the public.. Can't speak for South Korea but my President in Taiwan was a top notch logistics economist who studied at the London School of Economics without the luxury of legacy admissions like you know who ( with Wharton school which he flunked).

https://www.pnhp.org/
Likes For cbhungry:
Old 04-26-20, 08:28 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

...hey, cbhungry , I'm worried about you. It looks like your Governor has decided to let this play out in the worst way possible. And you are maximally exposed at Emory (or wherever you're working now). I don't know yoiur scheule, but I'm guessing it must be brutal. Take care of yourself, and get some rest when you can. Nobody can do that **** forever, and you're no good to anyone if you go down for the count.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.