tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
The Hartford Courant (Connecticut) had 12 pages of obituaries today.
I'm so sorry,...
Old 04-27-20, 01:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7515 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Democrats are going to steal the election by getting more votes!
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
That ain't gonna happen. The prez is gonna cancel the election.
Enough with the politics, gentlemen.
Old 04-27-20, 01:58 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Quoted: 7515 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Is John Campbell advocating fasting?
We're not having this type of behavior, it's harassment. Infractions will fly if you start bringing dirty laundry in from other threads.
Old 04-27-20, 03:14 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Ummm, you may just want to check back in on the situation in Japan before you use it as an example of why you shouldn't close things down (hint: it's not going to well ATM, State of Emergency declared, national parks are closed and they are locking down). And seriously, Korea's handling of the initial outbreak is a text book example of how to handle a pandemic, it bears no resemblance to how the USA handled the start of this. For a start they did have shutdowns of large gatherings, many tests and super detailed contact tracing. Their only hiccup was a church that decided that "yaweh" thought closures of large gatherings were sucky and thus made their own little mini pandemic outbreak.
So yeah, your two examples actually are against your ideas....
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...pan-hospitals/
No they're not. I didn't say USA did anything right. Where are the masks? My cousin is in SK and I know exactly what's going on there. Unlike 99% of people here I have been following this since jan. I got my n95 masks back then, where are yours? Oh right none of you have them but somehow you know more about everything than I do even though most of you never heard of it before last month. Japan did very very little early on except they did wear masks, and they are still in much better shape than the USA. The masks and physical distancing and closing theaters and restaurants are what matters, without running down the list of every possible measure every country and state have tried the rest is mostly just nonsense.
Old 04-27-20, 04:41 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
No they're not. I didn't say USA did anything right. Where are the masks? My cousin is in SK and I know exactly what's going on there. Unlike 99% of people here I have been following this since jan. I got my n95 masks back then, where are yours? Oh right none of you have them but somehow you know more about everything than I do even though most of you never heard of it before last month. Japan did very very little early on except they did wear masks, and they are still in much better shape than the USA. The masks and physical distancing and closing theaters and restaurants are what matters, without running down the list of every possible measure every country and state have tried the rest is mostly just nonsense.
If we're gonna play one upmanship, I've been following this since mid-late December, when news of a mystery pneumonia first popped up on Reuters.
Masks??? As our government says "Masks just lull people into a false sense of security" EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN JAPAN! No social distancing and masks ended up with what now looks like a massive outbreak. Saying Japan is better than the USA is like saying that someone with their arm cut off is better than someone missing a leg, they are both bleeding to death. Meanwhile our government is now on track to eradicate the virus within the next few weeks, as is New Zealand, with effectively zero mask wearing, but decent lock downs. Meanwhile South Korea did a bit of social distancing, their schools are still closed, but they did do massive testing guided by electronic contact tracing. Masks may have helped, but generally the electronic contact tracing/testing is credited with flattening their curve. Here, I'll make an assertion about you: Whats a bet you have no idea how to size and fit an N95 mask, nor have you tested the fit properly.
Old 04-27-20, 05:25 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Quoted: 12964 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 232 Posts
Old 04-27-20, 05:27 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Enough with the politics, gentlemen.
Politics isn't allowed here?
Old 04-27-20, 05:41 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Politics isn't allowed here?
yeah, this is not in the P&R sub. It's easy to forget since this issue tends to unfortunately have partisan currents.
Old 04-27-20, 05:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
yeah, this is not in the P&R sub. It's easy to forget since this issue tends to unfortunately have partisan currents.
Bummer.
Old 04-27-20, 08:01 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17841 Post(s)
Liked 1,499 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Bummer.
...amen. The way this whole pandemic thing has played out in the US of A, as some kind of political football, instead of a reasonable moment to rally as a people, makes me very anxious.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-27-20, 08:26 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...amen. The way this whole pandemic thing has played out in the US of A, as some kind of political football, instead of a reasonable moment to rally as a people, makes me very anxious.
Totally agree. I was hoping that this screaming political tribalism we've now been wallowing in since 9/11 would fade as we are now confronted with a real set of problems, it's really disappointing to see this not to be the case. Every headline is all about Trump. Look what Trump did, he's an idiot! Look what Trump did, he's really sticking it to those "elites"! CNN, MSNBC and Fox have all picked sides... on Trump. If Trump said it, it must be blindly ridiculed! If Trump said it, it must be blindly supported! GAH! I don't care about Trump. I don't care about his stupid press conferences or his latest outrageous gaffe. We don't have time for this crap.

What I do want is an honest discussion of the situation. What's the plan? What are the risks of any decision? What have we learned? I'm not interested in "picking sides", emotion or politics. The virus isn't going away. A vaccine or treatment both seem distant. Let's discuss what we're actually going to do and stop it with the debates about Trump. Even in supposedy quality news sources like the WSJ, the NYT or The Atlantic or The Economist, political side choosing is seaping in everywhere around the coronavirus. STOP. IT.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-27-20 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 08:43 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
TV news coverage (ie supposedly “liberal” CNN & MSNBC) made a striking shift in tone today. They previously ignored the Swedish approach & heavily criticized the Georgia governor. Today they were rather positive to Sweden & fairly neutral about some US states’ reopening plans. So it’s interesting that while the media claims to follow the “science”, the propaganda is not consistent. IMO none of the media care about average folks going broke but are trying to calibrate things so Wall St & big corporations survive.
Old 04-27-20, 09:15 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

So long as we all agree that it's not a hoax...
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-28-20, 12:32 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Totally agree. I was hoping that this screaming political tribalism we've now been wallowing in since 9/11 would fade as we are now confronted with a real set of problems, it's really disappointing to see this not to be the case. Every headline is all about Trump. Look what Trump did, he's an idiot! Look what Trump did, he's really sticking it to those "elites"! CNN, MSNBC and Fox have all picked sides... on Trump. If Trump said it, it must be blindly ridiculed! If Trump said it, it must be blindly supported! GAH! I don't care about Trump. I don't care about his stupid press conferences or his latest outrageous gaffe. We don't have time for this crap.

What I do want is an honest discussion of the situation. What's the plan? What are the risks of any decision? What have we learned? I'm not interested in "picking sides", emotion or politics. The virus isn't going away. A vaccine or treatment both seem distant. Let's discuss what we're actually going to do and stop it with the debates about Trump. Even in supposedy quality news sources like the WSJ, the NYT or The Atlantic or The Economist, political side choosing is seaping in everywhere around the coronavirus. STOP. IT.
... I don't see how you can expect a different reaction from "the media"...inclusive of "the quality news services". The function of the Presidency is in large part to serve as the guy who stands up there occasionally and assures the citizenry that there is exactly what you are asking for : "...an honest discussion of the situation. What's the plan? What are the risks of any decision? What have we learned? "

It's not "picking sides" to observe at this point that the man in the Oval Office is simply incapable of doing that. It's a statement of fact based on performance. If it were going to happen, it would already have happened. Instead, we got exactly what was predicted, even by many of the outgoing members of the early administration.

If you can't attribute this failure to the guy who says he's running the show (and I think in large part he is), then accountability has left the building. And Elvis is really dead.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-28-20, 01:01 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 152 Posts
... I don't see how you can expect a different reaction from "the media"...inclusive of "the quality news services". The function of the Presidency is in large part to serve as the guy who stands up there occasionally and assures the citizenry that there is exactly what you are asking for : "...an honest discussion of the situation. What's the plan? What are the risks of any decision? What have we learned? "

It's not "picking sides" to observe at this point that the man in the Oval Office is simply incapable of doing that. It's a statement of fact based on performance. If it were going to happen, it would already have happened. Instead, we got exactly what was predicted, even by many of the outgoing members of the early administration.

If you can't attribute this failure to the guy who says he's running the show (and I think in large part he is), then accountability has left the building. And Elvis is really dead.
Yep, you put a clown in charge, you get a circus. A very, very deadly circus as it turns out. Economically and socially.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-28-20, 07:46 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
So long as we all agree that it's not a hoax...
If we agree on that, what will we talk about?
Old 04-28-20, 08:24 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I can think of a couple things:
  1. What level of testing will be adequate to end the stay at home orders
  2. What steps can be taken to shore up the economy.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-28-20, 08:25 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Oooh!
3. Should we have a nationally coordinated response?

Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-28-20, 08:49 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Okay. You go first.
Old 04-28-20, 09:12 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

...Elvis. What's the real story? Sure he's probably dead by now, but when and how did he really die? Was he stuck off in some care home for the elderly all these years, only to finally succumb to the Coronavirus 19 pandemic?
Old 04-28-20, 09:13 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I don't doubt that lots of folks have fallen through the gaps for the stimulus. We shouldn't be afraid of continuing stimulus, perhaps with an inverse relationship to the unemployment rates. More spending means more workers are needed, means hiring, means less stimulus, prompting other jobless to find jobs.
Keeping businesses open with loans will only go so far until consumer spending returns.

Sorry, I'm joking. We should continue to cut taxes for job creators...
Old 04-28-20, 10:10 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Keeping businesses open with loans will only go so far until consumer spending returns.

Sorry, I'm joking. We should continue to cut taxes for job creators...
...can you be more specific ?
Old 04-28-20, 11:15 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

or do both! Both is good!
Hey, that Elvis guy dying in a funeral nursing home is a hoax. Everyone knows he was abducted by aliens and a facsimile body was left behind.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 04-28-20, 11:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked 3,136 Times in 1,768 Posts
I can think of a couple things:
  1. What level of testing will be adequate to end the stay at home orders
  2. What steps can be taken to shore up the economy.
​​​​​​Rent relief for individuals who've lost their jobs. And for small businesses that have been forced to close.
Old 04-28-20, 02:52 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 600 Posts
I saw an interesting (bipartisan) proposal to pay people $50/day to shelter-in-place. In other words, make it a job that pays a bit, and pay people to voluntarily restrict their movements, etc. It seems like a good way to channel "bail out" funds to some of the people who need it the most, while promoting good public health practice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.