Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stronglight Impact Triple Quality

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-14-20, 05:28 AM
pauliewalnuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,

I have come across this seemingly great value crankset. Is the quality good enough for touring and commuting? It is currently 56 on Spa Cycles (down from 124).

How does this compare to the Sugino Alpina Triple that usually costs around 190?

I would like to get this right....you buy cheap, you buy twice!
Old 05-14-20, 06:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by pauliewalnuts View Post
Hi,

I have come across this seemingly great value crankset. Is the quality good enough for touring and commuting? It is currently 56 on Spa Cycles (down from 124).

How does this compare to the Sugino Alpina Triple that usually costs around 190?

I would like to get this right....you buy cheap, you buy twice!
no first hand experience whatsoever, but at first glance it seems like a great option.
I cant speak for others, but in my biking life, I have never had a crankset problem so dont see why this would not be an affordable option, and of course chainrings do wear over time but even then, it takes a heck of a long time to do that if you keep on top of drivetrain maintenance---and at that point, you buy new chainrings in ten years or something....

I figure that unless someone is really heavy, any crankset is fine. There are probably chainrings that last longer than others, and I didnt look at the supposed details of these, but not sure if I could assess anyway from stuff written down...other than aluminum vs steel or whatever.
Old 05-14-20, 12:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 165 Posts
I have not bought a Stronglight or Spa crankset.

Stronglight as a name has been around for quite a few decades, not sure if the company still exists or if someone bought their name. But I agree with Djb that it is hard to get a bad crankset as long as it is not too cheap. And that Stronglight is one that I would consider buying. It is 110/74 BCD which is what I would favor, and the chainrings are held on with bolts instead of rivets, rivets is the sign of a really cheap crankset that should be avoided.

When I built up my Rohloff bike with S&S Couplers, that was an expensive bike but I still saw no need to spend money where I dd not see value in spending. I bought a square taper compact double on Amazon for $30 or $35 USD, it works just fine. I would do it again.

I bought a Stronglight chainring about seven or eight years ago and it is a good chainring, I have no complaints.

I did not look at the listing really close, so I did not notice what size (thickness) rings they are. If you have a 10 speed (or more) with a narrow chain, ask them first if the rings are thin enough for that, narrower chains need thinner rings. I would assume that it is good for 10 speed, but it might be an 8/9 speed crankset so it is worth checking if that is a factor for your bike.

I do not know if you are on the east or west side of the Atlantic. I am in USA and I ordered something from continental Europe in March, arrived last week. A lot of freight rides on passenger aircraft and when passengers are not flying, there are very few aircraft to haul that freight. So, if you are in North America, expect delays.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-14-20 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 11:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I would go with the Stronglight. Sugino stuff was traditionally pretty good for an affordable price but their triples etc seem to have gone up a lot in price. New Albion cranksets might also be something to look at.
Old 05-15-20, 06:41 AM
pauliewalnuts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
I would go with the Stronglight. Sugino stuff was traditionally pretty good for an affordable price but their triples etc seem to have gone up a lot in price. New Albion cranksets might also be something to look at.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Alpion crankset, they look just what I'm looking for.

So here are my choices, any help would be much appreciated.

Sugino XD - 115 including delivery

Albion triple - 105 including delivery

Stronglight triple - 65 including delivery

For some reason I am leaning towards the Sugino.. brand name/reputation I guess. They all look like the same product, maybe all made in the same factory and rebadged? Maybe the finishing is better on the more expensive ones?
Old 05-15-20, 07:03 AM
djb

sorry mate but you're going to have to make the decision on your own, and hopefully get some info insight to the quality of the chainrings. Look into the materials of them, often the large chainring on cranksets will be alu while the others are steel for example.
good luck finding proper info, but in the end, keeping your drivetrain clean all the time and not overlubing and not wiping off excess and allowing grit to form is probably the main wear factor here.
Old 05-15-20, 08:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Velo Orange blog (from 2006) mentions the Impact double as having cranks forged by Sugino but apparently Stronglight makes their own chainrings.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/200...ct-cranks.html

2008 BikeRadar article pretty positive on the Impact triple, notes that outer rings are alu & inner is steel. I don't see any point in paying more for Sugino or Albion, I doubt they work any better & even for looks they're pretty close to the Stronglight.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...ainset-review/

I've found quality matters more with the bottom bracket though nowadays they're often really cheap so it's almost a disposable item.
Old 05-15-20, 08:26 PM
djb

Velo Orange blog (from 2006) mentions the Impact double as having cranks forged by Sugino but apparently Stronglight makes their own chainrings.

2008 BikeRadar article pretty positive on the Impact triple, notes that outer rings are alu & inner is steel. I don't see any point in paying more for Sugino or Albion, I doubt they work any better & even for looks they're pretty close to the Stronglight.

I've found quality matters more with the bottom bracket though nowadays they're often really cheap so it's almost a disposable item.
all good points
re the bb, I also agree and find the shimano un55 to be a great cost/ performance balance
Old 05-16-20, 04:27 AM
pauliewalnuts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the insight DropBarFan. Much appreciated.
Old 05-16-20, 05:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
... and find the shimano un55 to be a great cost/ performance balance
Agree on the UN55. Have that on my Rohloff bike, works great with the cheap Amazon crankset I put on that bike.

Some of my square taper cranksets are older Campy, they had a slightly different taper, I was buying Campy but have switched to Origin8 for my Campy square taper cranks. The Origin8 bottom bracket uses the same tool as the UN-55 instead of the Campy style tool.
Old 05-16-20, 06:30 AM
djb

To the walnuts guy, I do know that the Shimano un55 has a metal cup thing on the loose end side, whereas the less expensive model like I think the un24 or something , that I've put in my wife's commuter, has a plastic one. The 24 is probably fine but spending 20 bucks more is worth it if you will ride a lot. Here the 24 used to be 20 Canadian dollars maybe, and 55 maybe 45$ . Been a while since I bought a 55. But they probably have better internals also.
Anyway, that's my take, could be wrong
Likes For djb: