Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Record 10s Right Ergo - Can I tell if it's working ok without installation?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campy Record 10s Right Ergo - Can I tell if it's working ok without installation?

Old 05-18-20, 10:16 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Campy 10 speed right ergo lever that I just bought and wondering if clicking the levers can tell me if it's working properly or does it need shift cable tension to work?

If I click all the way using the thumb lever, then when I hit the finger lever, it pops all the way back through 10 gears to the beginning. However, if I shift into a middle gear using the thumb lever, and then use the finger lever, it will click off single gear changes or perhaps skip at the end.

The lever is not installed yet and I'm just watching the clicks through the slot in the hood.

Does this signify a rebuild is needed or it's broken or what exactly? I'm just trying to determine if I need to return or rebuild or what exactly....

Thanks.
Old 05-18-20, 10:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 346 Posts
The first test is with a cable and hand pulling it while cycling through the lever positions. Or did you do this but didn't say as much? Some lever function can be different with cable tension then without. Andy
Old 05-18-20, 10:54 PM
tNuvolari

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
The first test is with a cable and hand pulling it while cycling through the lever positions. Or did you do this but didn't say as much? Some lever function can be different with cable tension then without. Andy
No, I have not installed them yet and won't be able to until I source the rest of the needed parts. I'm converting an 80's friction shifting bike over to index and there are many parts....
Old 05-18-20, 11:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 346 Posts
A cable inserted into the shifter then pulled by hand will do for testing. No need for complete cable routing and attachment to the der. Andy
Old 05-18-20, 11:19 PM
tNuvolari

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
A cable inserted into the shifter then pulled by hand will do for testing. No need for complete cable routing and attachment to the der. Andy
I removed the hood and then held my hand where the cable attaches and then when clicking through the shifts, it seems to not skip or jump several gears like before. Also, the entire shifting seems smoother, even with just slight hand pressure. It really makes a difference. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-18-20, 11:21 PM
tNuvolari

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Would you rebuild before installing a used lever or just install and see how it works?
Old 05-20-20, 12:23 PM
tNuvolari

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So I've read about the differences between the various versions of ergo levers and I'm still a little confused, mostly about the Ultra shift naming as Campy seem to use Ultra for many different things regarding chains, levers, etc. I realize my lever is pre Ultra but not sure what that means exactly. Am I missing out on Ultra goodness or was it just a slight upgrade/marketing move?

I know mine isn't Escape but I'm not sure between my lever and Ultra. I believe the levers that say Micron, BB, Carbon, and QS are the same as mine, correct?

Here is the lever I have:

Oh, and can the clear coating be repaired? I know it's very common for them to flake but is there a fix or way to prevent this short of a new expensive brake lever?

Old 05-20-20, 12:40 PM
tNuvolari

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ah, I was just reading an adjacent thread about rebuilding ergo levers and Mr Drew_Eckart shows a complete and thorough description of the internal differences between my lever and Ultrashift. I had no idea it was a complete redesign of the internals. It would seem that the Ultrashift version is much more durable without the G springs and spring carrier that always breaks. But what about the feel and shifting? Is Ultra better, stronger, faster....?

And the thread referenced above:

https://www.bikeforums.net/17512296-post18.html
Old 05-20-20, 01:00 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Here is my take on Record/Chorus levers. I have no experience with the other models:
QS refers to the left hand (front) shift lever. Supposedly it makes for a faster front shift with less lever throw. I never used one. BB is for ball bearing pivots in the shift levers as oppose to bushings. All Records have BBs. Ultra has a drilled out index gear and a plastic (carbon?) spring carrier. Also the shifts on the Ultra take a lighter touch. I prefer the ones that aren't Ultra. Also, when they came out, the Pros didn't really care for them either. So, Campy made a run of "Red" levers with a stiffer feel. Those are rare and expensive if you can find them. I have no idea what the Micron is, Carbon/BB was what was tagged on the 8, 9 and early 10 speed.

Last edited by gearbasher; 05-20-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 01:28 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Sorry for the lousy photos. Buts here are a Right 10 speed ultra and a left 9 speed Carbon/BB.