Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V-brake Skewed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

V-brake Skewed

Old 05-20-20, 11:32 AM
Brainstewn 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V-brake Skewed

I have a Specialized Hot Rock where the rear brake is not adjusting well; it's either too shallow or too deep into the handle. I replaced the cable, cable housing, and pads. During this process I noticed that my pads are skewed (see photo). Is this bent and can it be repaired or should I just buy a new V-brake?

Old 05-20-20, 11:56 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
There is a concave washer beside the pad. Just loosen the end bolt and wiggle it until it squares up, then tighten.
Old 05-20-20, 11:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Brainstewn View Post
I have a Specialized Hot Rock where the rear brake is not adjusting well; it's either too shallow or too deep into the handle. I replaced the cable, cable housing, and pads. During this process I noticed that my pads are skewed (see photo). Is this bent and can it be repaired or should I just buy a new V-brake?
The pads aren’t “skewed”. They are “toed”. The front of the pad should hit the wheel before the rear, thus the angle of the pad. If the pad hits flat or if the rear hits before the front, it can lift the front of the pad off the rim and cause it to vibrate. That vibration causes the dreaded brake squeal.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 05-20-20, 12:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 349 Posts
Is it possible that the angle adjustment range that is an aspect of the "ball and socket" mount of the pad isn't enough to compensate for a really bent arm or boss? Yes, but it's very unlikely that the boss or arm is really bent. So GamblerGORD's comment is the likely solution.

One trick I sometimes use is to unhook the arm's spring so the arm freely pivots about. This lets one more easily hold the pad against the rim while tightening the mounting nut. I also put a small drop of lube on the pad's threads to better allow for future removal. Andy
Old 05-20-20, 01:03 PM
Brainstewn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
The pads aren’t “skewed”. They are “toed”. The front of the pad should hit the wheel before the rear, thus the angle of the pad. If the pad hits flat or if the rear hits before the front, it can lift the front of the pad off the rim and cause it to vibrate. That vibration causes the dreaded brake squeal.
Thank you CYC
Old 05-20-20, 01:04 PM
Brainstewn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you GG53, your comment hit me like a pie in my face when I read the "Concave washer."
Old 05-20-20, 01:05 PM
Brainstewn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Andrew!