Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Two spontaneous inner tube punctures for same wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-23-20, 08:26 AM
GerardSheldon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have put two inner tubes on the front wheel of my bicycle, and both times they have spontaneously deflated within 10 minutes. In both tyres, the puncture holes are facing in towards the wheel, but in different places along the wheel.

I have checked the wheel and I can't see anything. I wondered whether the problem is to do with the end of the spokes that do stick out a little bit from the outer surface of the wheel. The spokes are covered by plastic material which is a bit thin.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-20, 08:43 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 164 Posts
IF the spokes are too long, they're too long.
Maybe a thicker rim strip will work, but if spoke ends are popping the tube, the spokes are simply too long.
You could grind off the excess, but that's kind of a botch.
IS this a factory wheel?
Old 05-23-20, 10:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 349 Posts
Does the rim have a deep well to the spoke bed? Is it a single wall or double wall (box section) type? Are you sure the rim strip was covering all the spoke/nipples with the tire and tube installed? If a box section is the rim strip stiff/strong enough to not be pushed into the nipple access holes when the tire is fully inflated?

An experienced person can typically determine the cause of flats with a fairly quick look at when the stuff is in hand. Us with no more info are less able. Andy