Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fair price for local store assembling bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fair price for local store assembling bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 12:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.benscycle.com/shop-labor.aspx
Old 05-24-20, 03:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
At our shop we charge for a boxed bike assembly a tune up rate plus a bit for the unboxing. This year that's $65 plus $10. Of course this assumes a boxed bike state that is similar to what we would do to ship a bike or like how we get our new bikes as. We do reserve the right to re quote based on actual boxed condition (was the fork removed, are there fenders or racks to be installed too). Andy.
I remember assembling Gitane bicycles. They came laid out on a large carboard sheet and then shrink-wrapped with heavy plastic. What a pain it was unwrapping all those components and frame without scratching anything.

Cheers
Old 05-24-20, 07:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I remember assembling Gitane bicycles. They came laid out on a large carboard sheet and then shrink-wrapped with heavy plastic. What a pain it was unwrapping all those components and frame without scratching anything.

Cheers
We sold Peugeots in the late 1970s and some too came poly bagged. The cardboard made Asian stuff look like plywood but the bikes were usually pretty clean. Then there was the crape paper craze. Frames wrapped with brown crinkle paper. Andy
Old 05-24-20, 07:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
We sold Peugeots in the late 1970s and some too came poly bagged. The cardboard made Asian stuff look like plywood but the bikes were usually pretty clean. Then there was the crape paper craze. Frames wrapped with brown crinkle paper. Andy
Ah the good old days. I remember that crepe paper stuff too.

Cheers
Old 05-24-20, 08:17 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Take the shop's price for a basic tune-up (everything adjusted, aligned, trued, and wiped down) and add about $20 for unpacking and some extra assembly.
Old 05-24-20, 09:24 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
This is definitely what the market will bear kind of thing, and it depends also on how thorough the assembly is.

If you do this, as a pro mechanic, PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. Your preassembly does NOT help--it just means more to check. Mechanics have a routine on new builds and will be faster and more consistant if they can just keep to it, rather than checking to make sure nothing was done wrong.

I personally try to match actual build time to cost, since some bikes really do come together faster than others. Canyons, for example, really are more attaching a wheel, straightening the bars, and then checking over what is usually a good assembly. Bikesdirect is pretty similar to how a major brand ships its bikes to shops--needing rather significant assembly and adjustment, even if everything is mostly where it belongs in the box.

Something like an hour at the shop's labor rate is probably around average.
Old 05-24-20, 09:49 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
If you do this, as a pro mechanic, PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. Your preassembly does NOT help--it just means more to check. Mechanics have a routine on new builds and will be faster and more consistant if they can just keep to it, rather than checking to make sure nothing was done wrong.
We had a guy come in with a partially built cyclocross bike from Bikes Direct, the cables cut and attached and dragging the works on the floor like a daisy chain. Needless to say, it cost more to disassemble his work and add new cable and housing.
Old 05-24-20, 09:58 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
We had a guy come in with a partially built cyclocross bike from Bikes Direct, the cables cut and attached and dragging the works on the floor like a daisy chain. Needless to say, it cost more to disassemble his work and add new cable and housing.
But for seriously, pre-assembly by customers on mail order bikes is high-ish on my list of pet peeves. Another reason: boxes are very easy to store! Your bike is both more convenient and safer if there is any wait in the service schedule as a box, rather than a potentially half-assembled mess.

The time it takes me to remove packaging is laughably trivial. The amount of time I spend attaching parts? Also pretty low. Believe it or not most of my time on a new bike assembly is on skilled adjustment--I am not saved any work when a bike is slapped together. It, again, reduces my efficiency because I have a consistent build procedure with new boxed bikes.

Learn to build it yourself (which is totally possible!) or leave it to a pro. I'm also totally chill with customers who make an honest attempt at self assembly and want me to check their work--this probably makes relatively little sense from a purely economic sense if your only goal is to have a functional bike for the smallest amount of money and time, but totally makes sense for customers who have the longterm goal of being better home mechanics. I'm only moaning about slapped together bikes. Also, all I'd ever directly say to a customer is a request to please just give me the boxed bike next time, because by the time it gets to you, what're else can you do?
Likes For cpach: