Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal/shoe/cleat combo issues unclipping

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-23-20, 02:50 PM
biketampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I have some look x-track spd pedals on my gravel bike. My issue is one pair of my shoes, some dhb mtb shoes, are extremely hard to unclip from the pedals. the shoes are less than 6 months old and the pedals and cleats are newer than that. Iíve try reducing the tension for the pedals way down with little luck. Iíve tried my older shoes and they unclip easily. It seems like just some weird incompatibility issue with my shoes and these pedals. I canít see any issues on the bottom of the shoes.

am I missing something?
Old 05-24-20, 02:05 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I'll bet the side treads on the toes of your shoes are too deep and putting too much pressure on the sides of the pedals and too much tension between the cleat and the hold-down lugs on the pedals. You could (a) deal with it until the shoes wear down, (b) grind the shoe treads down about a bit to speed things up, or (c) mount a thin shim between the cleat and the shoe sole to lift the shoe off the pedal a bit. I like the last because it's both immediate and reversible. The hard plastic shims for mounting Crank Brothers cleats should work well.
Old 05-24-20, 07:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 351 Posts
Grinding down the shoe's sole at strategic points use to be a common thing, to achieve best cleat engagement on MtB shoes. Andy