Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Potty breaks before final climb ???

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 03:58 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

What's with the potty break, (Tom Dumoulin) just before the last climb of the day at the Giro, today ?? KB
Old 05-23-17, 04:55 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disgusting that the GC contenders did not wait for him. I only saw highlights and it appeared that Nibali was the aggressor, but headlines say it was Movistar. I am disgusted with all of them.
Old 05-23-17, 07:46 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible move by Katusha, Bahrain and Movistar. I've lost a good chunk of respect for them. Especially attacking a guy that would have had the harder time of all GC contenders on the climb and using that unfortunate moment to take advantage. Means that they did find Dumolin to be a real threat and would not take the chance. If Nairo or Nibali win the Giro I will not care, and that says a lot for me since I am hispanic and my wife is italian. Not that they'd give **** what I think... It's sort of like kicking a baby while he's looking for his lost lolly pop.

I hope Dumolin destroys them on the next TT and takes 20 minutes on them.
Old 05-23-17, 07:58 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'll just leave this here.

(That's what he said)

Old 05-24-17, 07:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I just saw this in a news article and came here to ask, because I don't get the controversy. Cycling is a physical sport, so why should the competitors stop for something like this? A mechanical or crash, I can understand, but this is part of the physical condition and even the diarrhea is a kind of physical would be a form of physical weakness. Should they stop if he had a sudden coughing fit, or wheezing and dizzy, or exploit his weakness?

I just don't see where Dumoulin has grounds to complain.
Old 05-24-17, 09:06 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I just saw this in a news article and came here to ask, because I don't get the controversy. Cycling is a physical sport, so why should the competitors stop for something like this? A mechanical or crash, I can understand, but this is part of the physical condition and even the diarrhea is a kind of physical would be a form of physical weakness. Should they stop if he had a sudden coughing fit, or wheezing and dizzy, or exploit his weakness?

I guess part of being a great cyclist is having a great ability to hold your **** very well.
Old 05-24-17, 11:41 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

Generally, there's a truce when the leader needs to take a nature break. It's typically more coordinated though, and at the mid-point of the ride.
For example, Froome stopping to pee, so that his teammates could catch up. So there's definitely evidence of it going both ways.

To Dumoulin's credit, it doesn't sound like he had a problem with them racing. Definitely something his team will need to address in terms of feeding plans. The riders are working very hard, and basically consuming sugar/liquid. It's not too surprising that someone's digestion can get thrown widely off kilter.
Old 05-24-17, 08:35 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
This definitely seems to be more of a problem with the fans than with the riders. Even Dumoulin said he was not really that upset they raced on. My problem is that TD admitted he was having a problem earlier, and he held it until he couldn't any longer. Well, if that's the case, then he chose the worst possible moment to do his business. People complain it's not fair to him, but it's equally not fair to the other teams who rode in the gutter for hours trying to soften him up, only to be expected to stop racing while he takes a dump.

It's all your perspective. If you want TD to win, you see it through his point of view, and that it wasn't fair they attacked. But if you look at it from the other riders' perspective, you may realize there's more gray area than it first seems. The solution is there should be no expectation of waiting, especially when it's something in your own control. Taking a crap is not like getting a mechanical or crashing. I guarantee you if he got the sh**s halfway up the climb when everyone else was attacking, he would simply crap his pants. But because it was at the bottom, people seem to think he should be allowed to stop the race so he can take a break. Not right.
Old 05-25-17, 10:45 AM
txags92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the reason they didn't wait was the timing. If you have your team driving hard all day to make sure only the true contenders are left at the bottom of the final climb and a leader is isolated, you would be understandably upset if the leader suddenly decides to take a nature break that conveniently allows his teammates a chance to rest and gather their energy. TD should have stopped long before the final climb if he expected them to wait for him.
Old 05-28-17, 05:13 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Ethical points aside, I thought pro athletes of this level were very regular and disciplined, always going to the toilet after breakfast, etc.