Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should these back pedal?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should these back pedal?

Old 05-18-20, 08:18 PM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Should these back pedal?

I've got these two bikes that im fixing up, and I thought that they should be able to back pedal since they have a hand brake, but they don't. I thought that the freewheels were shot, but then I picked up another bike that had a hand brake but didn't back pedal. So I'm wondering if maybe they're just not meant to back pedal. Which is it? Are they just not meant to back pedal or are the freewheels shot?

Thanks

Old 05-18-20, 08:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 139 Posts
The one on the left has a coaster brake. Can't tell about the one on the right, but it probably does too. So, they should freewheel, but also back-pedaling should stop the bike.

Coaster hubs tend to be pretty easy to service, if they aren't already working right.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-18-20, 08:25 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Coaster brake bikes, not meant to back pedal except for braking. On the bike with white
forks, the brake reaction arm appears to not be properly anchored.
Likes For onsay99:
Old 05-18-20, 08:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by onsay99 View Post
Coaster brake bikes, not meant to back pedal except for braking. On the bike with white
Good eye. Fortunately, a p-clamp is easy to obtain.
Old 05-18-20, 08:31 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 522 Posts
V-brakes and coaster brakes both on the rear. An interesting redundancy I've never seen before.
Old 05-18-20, 08:49 PM
Retfor

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by onsay99 View Post
Ahhhh, so that's what that arm does... I just checked, and the specialized has one too, as well as a few other bikes that I knew have coaster brakes.

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
V-brakes and coaster brakes both on the rear. An interesting redundancy I've never seen before.
I thought it odd, hence why I thought they should back pedal. ​​​​​​ I would guess it's to help transition kids from coaster to hand brakes, so they have both available...
Old 05-18-20, 11:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 349 Posts
Failure to have a good hub bearing adjustment and also the reaction arm secured will result in the arm trying to rotate about the axle and tightening the bearing preload to the point of damage if left unaddressed. The arm needs to be held in place for reliable braking action and bearing survival. Andy
Old 05-19-20, 12:03 AM
Retfor

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Failure to have a good hub bearing adjustment and also the reaction arm secured will result in the arm trying to rotate about the axle and tightening the bearing preload to the point of damage if left unaddressed. The arm needs to be held in place for reliable braking action and bearing survival. Andy
Thanks. I had it unattached right now because I I've had the wheel off. I just put it back on for a bit for the pic.
Old 05-19-20, 04:32 AM
AeroGut 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 51 Posts
My understanding, which might be totally wrong, is that some places require that bikes be sold with two functioning brakes (ie coaster brake alone is no longer allowed). Since some people fear that kids will go over the handlebars using a front brake, the two brake requirement is met by using two rear brakes.
Old 05-19-20, 05:24 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 241 Posts
“Sidewalk bikes” (less than 25” seat height) require foot (coaster) brakes when they are sold.

Many transition bicycles have both a rear hand (rim) brake and coaster brake.

On their new “big kid” bike the child is quite likely to back pedal in a panic stop. This belt and suspenders approach is thought to help with learning.

Plus, some young children do not have the hand size, hand strength, or hand dexterity for hand brakes. Finally, some young children apply brakes all or nothing, so until a child learns modulation, front brakes may not be wise.

-mr. bill
Old 05-19-20, 05:38 AM
Retfor

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
On their new “big kid” bike the child is quite likely to back pedal in a panic stop. This belt and suspenders approach is thought to help with learning.
yeah, that's basically what I was thinking.