Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does anyone make a Shimano-splined freehub wrench

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-20-20, 07:14 AM
timo888

Bikes: Xootr Swift. Birdy BD-1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Park doesn't make a tool to hold the freehub body steady while removing the mounting bolt with a hex wrench (when the hub is not laced up to a wheel). Does anyone else?

Shimano-splined freehub wrench
Old 05-20-20, 07:40 AM
darkhorse75

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Why not just use a sprocket and a chainwhip? or better still three or more sprockets attached to each other for more stability.
Old 05-20-20, 07:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 346 Posts
Are you trying to remove the FH body from a hub shell? If so then there's no need for the outer/splined shell of the body to be held. Just the hub shell and the threaded "bolt". Of course this is much harder to do if there's no spokes and rim Andy

Rereading the OP and I see that I am correct. The time tested method is to lace a rim to the hub shell then use the usual way to loosen the FH body. This is why shops reject some work. The novice's understanding of the work needed is less then the work needed.
Old 05-20-20, 10:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 165 Posts
A good strap wrench wrapped around the drive-side flange of the hub may hold the hub firmly enough to allow removing the freehub body fixing bolt. Otherwise as darkhorse75 suggested, slip a cog over the splines and hold it with a chainwhip.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-20-20, 11:09 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 164 Posts
If you have an old large cog, drill a "few" holes and pop rivet a piece of flat bar for a handle.
Old 05-20-20, 11:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
Removing a freehub body from an unlaced freehub can be easy or difficult, depending on what you want your freehub to look like after you are done. If you don't care what happens to the freehub finish, a pipe wrench in a vise works well.

If you are trying to keep the freehub finish scratch free, that is a different story. I have yet to perfect a way to do this with an unlaced hub. The best I have been able to do, without lacing the hub, and even then there were slight marks on the freehub was to get 1/4' thick 60 durometer rubber pads. I used a vice and it worked well enough. I think I can do better, but the tough part was an older hub that had a larger diameter section for the cassette mounting bolt. A parallax hub would have been easier. Also using v-blocks may have helped.

I have read that an impact wrench can twist it off pretty easily, but I have no experience with that.

John
Old 05-22-20, 04:06 AM
wesmamyke 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Easiest thing to do is use some sacrificial spokes, hopefully pulled out of the trash. Install a dozen or so, and pull them all into a bundle. Crush them in a bench vise as tight as possible, now attack the bolt.

It's not pretty, and it will move around a fair amount, but I've seen freewheels removed this way too.
Old 05-28-20, 06:35 AM
timo888

Bikes: Xootr Swift. Birdy BD-1.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of good suggestions here! But I've decided to stick the freehub in some wet clay to make the shape of the splines, then cut out some clay from around it, and also cut out a shape of a handle, then melt down one of the gold ingots I've got stashed up in the attic, and cast me a wrench. The main advantage is that gold is fairly soft metal and is not likely to mar the freehub.
Old 05-28-20, 10:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888 View Post
Lots of good suggestions here! But I've decided to stick the freehub in some wet clay to make the shape of the splines, then cut out some clay from around it, and also cut out a shape of a handle, then melt down one of the gold ingots I've got stashed up in the attic, and cast me a wrench. The main advantage is that gold is fairly soft metal and is not likely to mar the freehub.
Another to the ignore list.