Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Letter to the editor about "aggressive and narcissistic bicyclists"

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 05-20-20, 08:07 AM
_ForceD_

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 77 Posts

The following letter to the editor appeared in yesterday's Newport (RI) Daily News. The paper serves five southern RI towns in Newport County...the area where 95% of my cycling is done. I may be one of the perps referred to. Although I haven't heard any walkers yell "distance" to me. And, I always do my best (especially during COVID) to give walkers a wide berth. (I was going to post this in the special coronavirus thread. But it appears to have gone away.)

Dan
-------------------------
Bicyclists need to be more courteous

Walking in Middletown has become more and more treacherous, as people venture out into the warmer weather for some fresh air and exercise.

Most walkers are courteous, pulling up their face masks and making every effort to maintain 6 feet of spacing.

There are a few joggers,often without masks, who will pass by panting out respiratory secretions. But again, most of them try to be polite.

Unfortunately, there is a breed of aggressive and narcissistic bicyclists who pose a significant public health risk. They are easy to recognize, donned in lycra, bent over on their racing bikes as they speed down hills without any effort to slow down or move aside to avoid oncoming walkers. Efforts to escape them by dropping to single file walking are futile.

On several occasions, I have had to flee into driveways or up grassy embankments to escape injury from both their chromed missiles, as well as feared respiratory exhalations.

Subtle efforts, such as bearing out a bit into the roadway and calling “distance” are met with expletive deleted bellows and admonitions to “stay on the sidewalk” in neighborhoods lacking such amenities.

Perhaps they are so addled and besotted their wheeled

they are subject to local laws, including “rules of the road” for cars, as well as recent government decree for social distancing.

Since common courtesy and human decency elude them, perhaps a ticket from law enforcement will convince them to reconsider their arrogant behavior on the shared roadways in Middletown.

Barbara Reiser, Middletown
Old 05-20-20, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 630 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/
Its found in 'the lounge', because that's where I think to go when I want to talk about cycling and whats going on in the world.***

In the general cycling forum, you have threads about road bikes and road riding that aren't moved to road cycling..
Threads about mtb bikes and mountain biking that arent moved to the dead mtb forum.
threads about gravel bikes that aren't moved to the gravel forum.

Same goes for threads about training, c&v bikes, hybrids, bike fit, etc etc etc. Those are rarely if ever moved to the respective forums unless requested.

But 'rona? Get those threads outta here!
Old 05-20-20, 08:43 AM
bubish

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2016 Specialized Camber, 2008 Trek 1.5, 1989 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Specialized Allez, 1970 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Chromes missiles? Shows what she knows! Chrome is way too heavy for a real cyclist!

Seriously though, the world would be a much, much better place if people realized two things:
  1. Every group has some a-holes
  2. The a-holes in the group don't represent the group as a whole.
Old 05-20-20, 08:58 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
I am confused. Are these guys "speeding down hills" riding on the sidewalks, or are the pedestrians walking in the road?
Likes For BNSF:
Old 05-20-20, 09:19 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Pedestrians need to stop being so entitled and oblivious, that is my opinion after many years of dealing with them - and that is just a small minority of problem people. It is distressing that no cyclists seem to have the brains to wear a mask during the outbreak but the good news for pedestrians if you simply exhale as they pass then it will virtually completely negative any risk unless they actually cough directly into your face.
Old 05-20-20, 10:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts
The stereotyping and maligning them as addled is where she lost me. I wonder if she takes less offense when it's a hybrid bike or family groups weaving around her.

Before she went there, yeah here as well it's common for bikes to buzz you, and it's really annoying especially when there's no evident reason for it.
Old 05-20-20, 10:14 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 82 Posts
Barbara sounds like she is probably really fun at parties
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-20-20, 10:17 AM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/
Its found in 'the lounge', because that's where I think to go when I want to talk about cycling and whats going on in the world.***

In the general cycling forum, you have threads about road bikes and road riding that aren't moved to road cycling..
Threads about mtb bikes and mountain biking that arent moved to the dead mtb forum.
threads about gravel bikes that aren't moved to the gravel forum.

Same goes for threads about training, c&v bikes, hybrids, bike fit, etc etc etc. Those are rarely if ever moved to the respective forums unless requested.

But 'rona? Get those threads outta here!
Did you report them? Nope. I didn't think so. The unpaid, volunteer mod staff rely on help from concerned forum members to alert us when a thread should be moved, moderated, or otherwise dealt with. We don't have the time, manpower, or desire to read every thread.
Old 05-20-20, 10:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Did you report them? Nope. I didn't think so. The unpaid, volunteer mod staff rely on help from concerned forum members to alert us when a thread should be moved, moderated, or otherwise dealt with. We don't have the time, manpower, or desire to read every thread.
Sorry, my sarcasm and long windedness didn't make for a clear point.
Point - I don't understand why a virus forum was created in the first place when so many forums blur as it is.

But really, I have 0 issues with it and my post was just observational humor to me.
Old 05-20-20, 10:21 AM
GlennR
I'm Lost

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
Sure...

Old 05-20-20, 10:30 AM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Point - I don't understand why a virus forum was created in the first place when so many forums blur as it is.
Many forum members use the forum as a place to get away from the non-cycling world. A place to escape to. We had many complaints that every forum was getting clogged with COVID-19 threads. The COVID-19 forum was created to give those who want to post about about it a place to do so without having to go into P+R.
Old 05-20-20, 10:38 AM
hillyman 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 141 Posts
Guess we need to send some Critical Mass cyclists to Middletown

Last edited by hillyman; 05-20-20 at 12:15 PM.
Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-20-20, 10:55 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
uh-oh you've angered the karens.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 05-20-20, 11:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 346 Posts
Then I guess we'll stop donating all our money to causes that benefit the mouth breathing complainers that we've collected as a cycling community. And we'll stop advocating for things that make walkers and joggers more safe around cars also.

It's nimbyism.

I think the media can sod off when it comes to always publishing BS about cyclists and never posting the other side. It's always the car driver's view or the moron with a flexy leash that gets their say.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-20-20, 12:37 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
I'll bet she's a great driver, and always passes safely too.
Old 05-20-20, 02:35 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
I'll bet she's a great driver, and always passes safely too.
Don't forget, comes to a complete stop at every stop sign and never exceeds the speed limit.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-20-20, 02:54 PM
_ForceD_

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF View Post
I am confused. Are these guys "speeding down hills" riding on the sidewalks, or are the pedestrians walking in the road?
What I 'think' is happening is...
There are lots of rural and suburban roads in our community that are popular with both cyclists AND walkers because there isn't much car traffic on them. And what car traffic they do have is mostly going relatively slow. But, many of these roads don't have sidewalks, nor even much of a shoulder the for walkers. So yeah...sometimes the walkers may be in the actual roadway. But still...when I'm riding on those roads, and I approach walkers...I swerve out and give them a wide berth. UNLESS there are cars coming in which case I slow down as I pass the walkers. I think this person simply encountered a (or some) A-hole riders like someone mentioned above.

Regarding why I didn't put my OP in the COVID thread...
Initially it was thumbtacked to the top, and highlighted yellow at the top of the forums page. The tacked, yellow thing went away so I thought the forum had been eliminated. I didn't realize a COVID forum had been established elsewhere. I apologize for the confusion.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-20-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 03:46 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 293 Posts
Dear author...I fart in your general direction.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-20-20, 03:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 170 Posts
Dear Barbara, I always hold my breath if required to pass too close to joggers and pedestrians.
Old 05-20-20, 04:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4616 Post(s)
Liked 1,208 Times in 715 Posts
Barbara sounds like an absolute blast.
Old 05-20-20, 04:41 PM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
Regarding why I didn't put my OP in the COVID thread...
Initially it was thumbtacked to the top, and highlighted yellow at the top of the forums page. The tacked, yellow thing went away so I thought the forum had been eliminated. I didn't realize a COVID forum had been established elsewhere. I apologize for the confusion.

Dan
Thread moved to COVID-19 forum.
Old 05-20-20, 05:01 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
Pedestrians need to stop being so entitled and oblivious, that is my opinion after many years of dealing with them - and that is just a small minority of problem people. It is distressing that no cyclists seem to have the brains to wear a mask during the outbreak but the good news for pedestrians if you simply exhale as they pass then it will virtually completely negative any risk unless they actually cough directly into your face.
I don’t wear a mask while cycling. Neither do about 97% of the other cyclist that I see. I’m sorry to hear that this is distressing to you.

Old 05-20-20, 10:21 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 184 Posts
Sorry, my sarcasm and long windedness didn't make for a clear point.

But really, I have 0 issues with it and my post was just observational humor to me.
I personally invite you to become part of the moderation team.

You have been here for quite some time and maybe you can give back to the forum.

You can help us move those misplaced threads in road, gravel, the dead mtb forum. It's volunteer. You deal with lots of spam, people being mean to each other, people who continue to harass each other in all parts of the forum and people who don't appreciate the time you spend away from your family and job to come here and make this a nice place for cyclists. You will be called names, accused of being racist, called unfair, have hooligans gang up on you and lie about you to the rest of the membership AND post it publicly, yet you have maintain professionalism and patience. Moderators are on call 24/7 in case of emergency where we need the entire team to come and help function in the middle of the night when handling attacks on the site. And you must be able to work together as a team, for communication is a plus, AND required.

Are you up to it?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-21-20, 04:07 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I swooned at "besotted". do we have her contact information?

I see a serious side effect of C-19 by way of orientation. seems left from right is no longer distinguishable.
Old 05-21-20, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3736 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,442 Posts
I realize she's over-generalizing, but we aren't really going to pretend that there are cyclists who act pretty much like she describes, are we?

There's never an excuse for close-passing pedestrians at speed. I've witnessed this kind of crappy behavior in person and I've called out cyclists to their face for doing it.

I'm assuming everyone posting here wouldn't actually do this, but this letter demonstrates that if you do, it sticks in pedestrians' minds as being "typical" behavior. Getting the crap scared out of you is an experience that will stick with you in memory way more than 100 non-eventful, polite passes. A lot of you are just engaging in shooting the messenger (the letter writer) on this thread.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.