Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Harassed by a driver: when you know where they live

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Harassed by a driver: when you know where they live

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 02:39 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
What's not not gonna happen is that I change my route. He and I are not finished here, I suspect. There's a good chance I'll know the wanker, peripherally at least. It's a small "town" and I've lived here 25 years, put kids through the schools, etc. That's one possible outcome here. Figure out who he is, talk to him at a sporting event or grocery store or whatever.
Let is slide. Be cordial to him, wave and smile the next time. Then, since it is a small town you say and he'll probably won't recognize you without your super-hero cycling attire (aka "kit"), spot him at some town event and befriend him. Buy him a drink/juice/whatever. Once the two of you are tight, throw him a joke about this a-hole you ran into once while out on one of your training rides.... The two of you will probably get a good laugh over it.

No need to fret over it too much... it's probably worthless especially when you consider the crazy things that people are doing these days.
Old 06-25-15, 02:47 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Key his car.

It's so hard to turn the other cheek, especially since I'm already a hot-head. One time I did my usual yelling and middle finger and the driver stopped. For some reason I was just NOT in the mood, so I didn't immediately regret the decision. Turned out just to be some *****y old lady who used the logic of "you guys shouldn't be out on these (rural, light traffic) roads". Right, and when I'm on urban roads, no...none of the many more drivers mind me being "in their way", lol! We went back and forth until I pulled out my phone and said I was taking pictures of here plates and was calling police. My bluff worked, and immediately shut up and drove off. Maybe she doesn't know cops don't give one shi* about cyclists, but it changed the situation. Ever since then I have to try so hard to keep my cool, but I've been able to do so.

It's never worth escalating a situation, so I'd do nothing, or do something "harmless" like the round up trick. Although here in CA, no one has lawns anymore haha! You have to remember, of all the drivers you will encounter, it will be less than 1% that will give you trouble. Maybe many more will- in their mind-hate cyclists, but most are law abiding, and will leave you alone. So I try to think of it in those terms, most people are not a-holes, and in any aspect of life there will always be someone somewhere...just try not to take it worse just because you are on a bike.
Old 06-25-15, 02:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Incidents like this are one of the primary reasons I try to not go riding alone. I am seriously considering buying a GoPro, but don't know which way is best to have the camera, on my bike pointing back or on my helmet pointing to wherever direction I look at.
If you want to record with only one camera, have it look at whatever you look at. Consider the Contour instead of a GoPro if you don't want the Teltubby look.

Having said that, one thing to be aware of is that dealing with drivers is somewhat like dealing with large dogs. If you're calm, assertive, and move with purpose, people will treat you better. However, if you go out feeling paranoid, victimized, and you prepare for battle, drivers will pick up on that and problems will be created out of thin air.
Old 06-25-15, 02:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
If you want to record with only one camera, have it look at whatever you look at. Consider the Contour instead of a GoPro if you don't want the Teltubby look.

Having said that, one thing to be aware of is that dealing with drivers is somewhat like dealing with large dogs. If you're calm, assertive, and move with purpose, people will treat you better. However, if you go out feeling paranoid, victimized, and you prepare for battle, drivers will pick up on that and problems will be created out of thin air.
I totally don't want to derail the thread, but the GoPro has to be the worst ever camera design for action sports. The "Teletubby look" is so apt, it is the worst looking thing ever! The cylindrical Contour is such a better design, I have no idea why and how GoPro has not totally redesigned their camera body.
Old 06-25-15, 02:58 PM
JetBadger

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the kill him with kindness approach... React like you would if your friend was driving by honking and waiving to get your attention. Do not give him the satisfaction of letting it ruin your ride.

I feel bad for people like him. If he is so miserable that something as little as slowing his commute down by a couple minutes as he waits for you to finish your climb sets him off like that, then he has much bigger issues then bikers getting in his way.

Sending him a waive and a smile is going to make you feel better in the long run and is either going to make him more angry that his message was not received, or is going to make him feel bad that he was an ass. Either way, the outcome is a positive for you.
Old 06-25-15, 03:03 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Don't finger.
Don't wave.
Don't give them the satisfaction of any response at all.
Old 06-25-15, 03:07 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
send him flowers with a note that says thanks for not running me over.
Old 06-25-15, 03:08 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I ride in the country and every 3-4 weeks someone coming in the opposite direction will swerve into my lane to try and scare me. I flip them off but they keep going like cowards. I won't cause controversy and say what kind of individuals they are but they clearly don't care for people like me. One of them is a female. If i ever find out where one of them lives I'll be knocking on their door.
accidentally throw a water bottle at their grill. "oh i was taking a drink and you scared the living **** out of me and i dropped it."
Old 06-25-15, 03:14 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Reminds me of the road rage altercation I saw after cyclist squirts water on car for close right passing.

Driver jumps out ready to fight, realizes it's a bad idea, then snaps a photo of cyclist for his police report. Really?!

Good Lord, didn't know Lexus aren't waterproof these days.
Old 06-25-15, 03:24 PM
SempreCycling

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry a water bottle full of piss, when he gets next to you tell him to roll down the window. When he does, start squirting.
Old 06-25-15, 03:26 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dunno. if it were me, i would want the opportunity for him to hear me out. but going alone is not a good idea. i would explain to your local police officer what happened and ask them to come with you and be an intermediary and have him tell his partners what happened and where you're going when you go.

it's a big deal. one of us being threatened on the road threatens all of us and future generations of riders. a lot of you say do nothing, but this person will probably act like this again, possibly kill some other cyclist or even the OP on the road.

you don't want to have future encounters with this person. being nice on the road can help alleviate the situation i think for most people, but what if he's just crazy? looking up who he is and what his background is would be first and foremost. if he's been involved in something like this before, you will be ready with the info. i would definitely wear a video camera in addressing this person and also when you're on the road.
Old 06-25-15, 03:28 PM
cwar

Bikes: BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although the round-up idea is funny and would certainly make me feel better, I would be careful about damaging this persons' property. It could quickly make this worse for you than for him. Many people have surveillance cameras these days.
Old 06-25-15, 03:37 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Fixed
Not really.

Old 06-25-15, 03:50 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have one reflexive response to this, and it's not something I can control. I flipped the son of a ***** the bird with gusto. He slowed down and reciprocated. I doubled down yet more emphasis. He kept going.
I have the same response you do most of the time and I generally regret it 100% of the time a split second later. All you need is one jackass in a car to see red and forget what he's doing and you're road rash. Sure he may even regret it later, while you're in the hospital getting prepped for surgery.

Get a go pro, they're pretty cheap. Talking to cops is one thing, talking to cops with video is entirely another.
Old 06-25-15, 03:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Let is slide. Be cordial to him, wave and smile the next time. Then, since it is a small town you say and he'll probably won't recognize you without your super-hero cycling attire (aka "kit"), spot him at some town event and befriend him. Buy him a drink/juice/whatever. Once the two of you are tight, throw him a joke about this a-hole you ran into once while out on one of your training rides.... The two of you will probably get a good laugh over it.

No need to fret over it too much... it's probably worthless especially when you consider the crazy things that people are doing these days.
I actually like this tactic. In fact, if it's that small townish, you could make a point of bumping into him somewhere and apologize to him for getting in his way. That could solve the whole problem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-25-15, 04:17 PM
Coop500
Mike

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Rockhopper FS, 2002 DK Fury24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I rode by and saw the person outside I would stop. Not for a physical confrontation but to discuss things like adults. Unfortunately that could open the door for the situation to escalate so maybe I just gave some bad advice. I am an up front kind of person though and would want to ask why they felt the need to endanger my life like that. If you had swerved for any reason you might not be here to tell this tale because of their reckless abandon for your safety. It happens to me a lot on the country roads around here but I have never seen the vehicle parked anywhere. I just get buzzed, they blow the horn, and sometimes offer a profanity.
Old 06-25-15, 04:43 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do.nothing.

If that won't sit well go to the local book store with a magazine rack and get a hundred or so blow in cards. They fail out of any magazine you pick up and the clerks don't mind a bit if you save them the effort of picking them up. Pick the most counterproductive titles you see but bulk is the key. Fill them out with his address and the great advertising machine will do the rest.
Old 06-25-15, 04:54 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Not really.
Then continue with the doufass routine. I bet you have 911 on your speed dial.
Old 06-25-15, 05:07 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Start mailing him brown paper wrapped bricks with a 25c stamp on it. No return address. Especially if you go away for business and can send them from exotic localities (within the US of course). Eventually he'll get sick of the cards from the post office requiring him to pay the excess postage.
Old 06-25-15, 05:09 PM
SempreCycling

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy him some cycling mag subscriptions.
Old 06-25-15, 05:11 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
Do.nothing.

If that won't sit well go to the local book store with a magazine rack and get a hundred or so blow in cards. They fail out of any magazine you pick up and the clerks don't mind a bit if you save them the effort of picking them up. Pick the most counterproductive titles you see but bulk is the key. Fill them out with his address and the great advertising machine will do the rest.
Yep, sign him up to the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Momons. Plus Plain Truth, and Christian Science. Readers Digest is excellent too, he can have the rest of his life getting "You have Won" envelopes. I did the Mormons to a housemate. Big mistake, they kept waking me up all the time, as my room was closer to the front door, persistent buggers, they kept coming back for months.
Old 06-25-15, 05:44 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Then continue with the doufass routine. I bet you have 911 on your speed dial.
No, I just don't feel the need to carry a gun when I'm riding my bike...or going to a restaurant...or going to a store...or driving...or walking...or in general for any reason other than hunting for my food, which I currently do at the farmers market so it's not really necessary there either.

Someone honks at you on the road and your initial reaction is to pull a gun and shoot at them, and I'm the guy with a problem? Seriously?

Old 06-25-15, 05:45 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Wait until he's not at home, clean yourself up, put on your nicest shirt, and go talk to his wife. Have smile on your face. Explain that you just wanted to have a nice conversation about keeping your neighborhood safe, and, what a nice house you have, and, wow, how beautiful she looks, and how it's not nice to be so rude to cyclists, and how surprised you are that such a fine lady could be with such a jerk, and well, you get the idea. Nothing you can do will infuriate him as much as getting his wife on your side.
Old 06-25-15, 05:49 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got harassed yesterday on my local 30-mile hill ride. Chugging up a hill, as far over as I can get to the edge of the road, going maybe 7-8 mph tops, and he waited till he was right on me, stood on the horn, and passed me very closely for no reason- no oncoming traffic or other reason to pass so close. Not that there's EVER an excuse for passing that close, but in this case, it was pure harassment.

I have one reflexive response to this, and it's not something I can control. I flipped the son of a ***** the bird with gusto. He slowed down and reciprocated. I doubled down yet more emphasis. He kept going.

As has happened before, further up the hill, there's the vehicle in a driveway. Still there when I came back the other way. Clearly he lives there.

So now the fun begins. I'll get the address next time up the hill- I do this route all the time- and figure out who he is. But here's the thing. This is a small rural community and while I was ready to throw down with him then and there on the roadway, I'm not interested in provoking a physical confrontation at this point. Nor am I calling the cops on him- yet. But this is my town too, those are my roads too, I ride that hill several times a week, and I'm not putting up with this again.

Wondering how y'all handle it when you know where a bike harasser lives?

water balloons with paint in them. hit his car.
Old 06-25-15, 06:55 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd

Hopefully he'll end up there himself if all goes as planned, he's in a bit of hot water right now. *fingers crossed*
Sheriff Joe the way I read the news is a bit of a character, and inovater in correctional system. I personally know a guy who did 30 days in the tents on a DUI. He has no craving for a drive after a beer. Sheriff Joe's fun in the sun worked it that person case. Others must be into self abuse, who repeat crimes in Joe's County, and return to the Joe's Hotel.

Know a couple of young people who work as detention officer for Joe. One told me everytime meals are served he gets a woozy stomach. Itb is said Sheriff's K-9 get more spent per meal than the inmates.

Guess this is the reward for going a foul of the law in Joe's County, and being caught.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.